Monitor connection and 3xxx series

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by emperorsfist, Sep 21, 2020.

1. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Hello,

I feel like a total idiot posting this, but I have had an epiphany this morning. While I eye an upgrade to the 3xxx series (mot likely a 3070 later on, esp. if they'll offer one with more VRAM), but like a complete idiot I didn't notice that these cards no longer support a DVI monitor connector!

I own an EIZO FORIS FS2434-BK for over 3 years now, and I'm satisfied with the performance. I get that a 1080p monitor isn't as hot as it had been years ago, but it has served me nicely along with Unwinder's RTSS / S-sync. The monitor doesn't have DiplayPort, but has HDMI. Would it suffice? I often use 2160p downsampling, but my native refreshrate is only 60Hz.

I would welcome all your answers and suggestions. Feell free to laugh at me as well, I have never felt like such an utter moron for missing something this crucial! XD

2. SumLeetNub

SumLeetNub Member Guru

GPU:
    yes
    Use a DVI-DisplayPort adaptor.

3. iisbob

iisbob Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070
    Umm ....Use the HDMI connector? o_O

4. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Thing is, the monitor "only" has HDMI 1.4, which isn't capable of 4k @60fps (IIRC). Would that translate as such to downsampling?

5. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Got any to recommend?

6. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Use a DVI to D-port /hdmi cable, search amazon for a quality high-speed one.

emperorsfist likes this.
  7. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Unless your display is capable and you have chosen 4k @30hz as your display resolution, It would not as the downsampling happens before the image is sent out across the video connection (assuming you are using DSR).

If you are using DSR, It will still be a 1080p image sent over the cable, but downsampled in the GPU using data from a higher resolution in the application, minimized to fit a 1080p frame.

A DisplayPort to DVI adapter or an HDMI to DVI adapter (not including 2.1, version 2.0 and earlier is built on the framework of DVI) should work just fine for this situation.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    emperorsfist likes this.
  8. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Thnak you @DannyD and @Mda400 for your suggestions and explanations. Maybe not all is lost yet!

DannyD likes this.