Nvidia Reflex

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PhazDelta, Sep 1, 2020.

1. rab3072

rab3072 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 ULTRA

Oh really? I was under the impression it was available to all via a driver update, however, those new monitors had something extra built in directly. Guess have to wait and see when they explain it better.

2. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    That is correct. The screens have the "Reflex Latency Analyzer", which is supposed to help analyze and optimize latency. The actual "Reflex" improvements everyone gets. Leave it to people to stop reading after the first term they recognize.

3. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Gonna try this on R6S, seems good.

4. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    It's an SDK, so has to be implemented by the game engine.
    Not entirely. AMD overrides some Windows component (which is fine by Microsoft but it's still a sort-of "hack") which helps them reduce latency.

I guess the final ranking will be (starting from best overall user experience): nV Reflex > AMD Anti-Lag > nV Low Latency Mode
    But only a handful of (new and still regularly updated) games will implement Reflex (and who knows if they all manage to do so properly) whereas Anti-Lag works with pretty much all of them. LLM should usually work with all games in general but it doesn't seem to be the case in practice (some games forcefully override the queue length, others simply doesn't work so well with unexpected tweaks).

BlindBison and -Tj- like this.

5. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Everything being discussed here was already addressed by nVidia in this explainer video yesterday (also in the OP). So for anyone still confused or wants to know more, watch the video for a better understanding of everything regarding nVidia Reflect.

6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    How is Reflex different from the existing Ultra Low Latency mode?

“What’s the catch?” Same set as catches that typically come along with not prerendering?

Will this dynamically adjust the flip queue size or just not prerender at all? If it does dynamically adjust is it just between 0-1 frame or is it dynamic anywhere up to a max of 3 (normal prerender behavior)?

I would really like to have more concrete information on exactly how this works and if it’s any different than the existing ULLM mode.

One thing that always bothers me about these sorts of modes is Nvidia never mentions what the potential cons of using such modes are and they don’t bother to explain why the modes are off by default/whether or not default prerender behavior is best (and why) for most users, etc.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  7. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    This should work better than LLM. This will be somewhat similar to GameWorks effects which developers could build into their games and you got those big nVidia logos under some extra graphical settings like soft shadows, etc. Instead of playing with the queue limit, the game will try not to bloat the buffers to begin with.

BlindBison likes this.
  8. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks, that's helpful to know -- will be interesting to know how it pans out I think.

9. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  10. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    You can achieve almost the same result as rtx reflex by using in-game frame limiter to keep gpu usage below 95% or get a slightly higher lag then in-game limiter by using msi afterburner rtss frame limiter. Also set low latency mode to on (not ultra) from Nvidia control panel.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I think it depends on the game engine which frame limiter you use. I play BFx games and always used user config game based frame limiter lines. But when Nvidia came out with there driver frame limiter I tried that and for me with only a 4 core CPU that was better than BF built-in one.

The built-in one would affect my mouse input when CPU usage went real high.
    Frame limiters can also help with stability, you just have to find a value that gets good framerate but not super high usage with HW which could be tricky depending on HW used.

12. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 OC Super
    A pointless pile of crap, especially when they included just "fortnite" not what they said in their pre-release videos, thought this was for all first person games :/

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you didn't watch the video i did then

14. Eviltoaster

Eviltoaster Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4070 OC
    OnLy FoRtNiTe.jpg

15. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 OC Super
    That was after the video was shown by Nvida talking about Reflex. Also why are these games "upcoming" and not at the same time?

16. Martin2603PL

Martin2603PL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    So far "Reflex" is in Fortnite and Valorant.
    Modern Warfare/Warzon, I bet it will be added on big update in the end of September with the start of Season 6.
    Destiny 2 with release of the new DLC.
    Cold War according to what Beenox said will have "Reflex" on day one.

17. GiveMe

GiveMe Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Trinity OC
    any chance to get Reflex in cs:go?
    I guess reflex needs modern API but cs:go still uses dx9

18. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    On the other hand, it's fairly rare for CS:GO to get GPU-bound on modern hardware (which qualifies for Reflex). And we aren't sure if it has any use when the GPU is well below 100% utilization.
    Yet, I also wonder about this because I played some CS:GO in the last few months.

19. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I suspect it won't have an effect while being CPU bound. Staying CPU bound in CS:GO should be the way to go for this ancient relict.

BlindBison likes this.
  20. TheRealKaldaien

TheRealKaldaien Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti K|NGP|N
    Pre-rendered frames aren't the same thing as eliminating back pressure on the flip queue. With VSYNC on, if you try to present a frame while all backbuffers are full with unpresented frames, your thread goes to sleep until VBLANK.

You'd actually have less latency if you increased the length of the flip queue by 1 frame and simply dropped all but the newest frame on every scan-out. Of course, if you do this, you better have a good framerate limiter or the quality of frame pacing will suffer.

BlindBison and fantaskarsef like this.