Sony PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tsunami231, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    GTA 5 - PS4 59.99
    GTA 5 - PS5 69.99 "TOO MUCH MAN POWER AND ENGINE FEES GUYS"
    Lol

XP-200 likes this.
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Like said they dont need to they WANT to and soon as people go along with and they WILL the prices will raise again next gen. so long people go along with it will happen

DLC and Micro transaction are in almost ALL game in some fashion have been they goin to bank and alot case the DLC/Micro transactions give them more money they the actual game, which obvious depend on the game too.

I waiting for next console that come out that has 100$ "games" that will fail just like neo geo did cause games cost to much. in world where dlc/ micro transactions in almost ever game, subletting there income from game initial purchase long after it been release there ZERO reason to increase the game price other then they want to. IF there was no dlc/micro transaction in these game then I WOULD agree with the increase. but this just my opinion

There is reason why I only buy game when they have all the DLC included and on sale,

Serotonin, XP-200 and serbicu like this.
  3. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    When paying 50 for a mega drive and snes games were the normal the content didn't pay for the actual cost of a cartridge, atari st games after that gen were around the same price with little to less budget, now's a day's millions are spent on aaa game's, neo geo gave you the opportunity to buy the arcade game at home for around 200, you didn't have to buy it a 200 neo geo game that took a few months to make compaird to today selling for 60 or 70 is were we are heading, 60 for Tetris is bullshit but pay for whatever you want to buy that's it.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so can we actuall play or PS4 Games that are "disc" on ps5? and what about our digital ps5 games? or is really only threw the PS collection things? I have no really found definitive answer

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Yes. yes. pardon?

There is a list of games that have not been released yet, hence the difficulty in answering.

It's quite likely developers and publishers are too damn busy right now, trying to stay alive, than make a commitment to their past, present and future customers.

The general consensus is that if it is in the top 100, it's covered. Less likely for indie games and more likely for the EA's of the world.

Some blurring of the lines as to whether this will require a PSN/PSplus account, but most agree that they will probably demand this (the developers/publishers) to try as best as possible the likelihood of piracy/lost revenue.

The thing that really annoys me is Microsoft turning their £450 console into a £695.76 console via game pass (UK Pricing) - this is unacceptable behaviour and is price gouging their customers who cannot afford the base console up front 'at-this-moment-in-time'. Quite despicable.

Microsoft have kept trying to charge me (nearly every day) a subscription for my Office 2019 Professional that I bought, instead of Office 365 - and have forced me to use a Microsoft account for account management purposes, which again, is not necessary for a piece of software...so now they have taken that subscription model, and applied to people at home, to dupe them into paying £700 for something that others will pay $450 for (XBOX series X trashcan airpurifier edition).

Screw M$ and their subscription models...forcing people into contracts for TWO YEARS just to promote a smooth revenue arc for their shareholders - at a time when people will most likely be tempted by that, because no one has got any money, thanks to 'the thing you cannot talk about online'.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think that 825gb drive that gona be more like 700gb after partiton and OS is gona come back to bit sony on the ass, concerfing I reading the game upwards of 70gb. then the 299$ Xbox has 512gb drive I get they had both had to cut corners to use such drives for the speeds there getting, but seriously drive spaces are just to low, I think I might hold off on getting ps5 till the put drive in that is atlest 1tb or bigger it not like getting bigger drives are be cheap this gen for obvious reason

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    If they are using virtual textures (which all game engines have the power to do with DX12U, and other API's) then the install size will be less. Adding to that, using mesh shaders etc will lower the LOD count to zero, as LOD's are calcuated on the fly, partially by using Opensubdiv2 scaling-by-distance in real-time...we also got real time lighting, which means no need to have all those textures baked in for lightmaps, shadowmaps...no more MIPS etc etc etc etc.

All in (if the devs have any sense to them) the next generation of consoles (and games on all platforms) will have lower install sizes, not more.

I will stress - if devs decide to continue the way they have been on current gen, then your point is valid, but it won't be, for the competent developer...it's also less work for them, so...no excuse?

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I agree that the new prices are ridiculous but you don´t have to buy game at release. More than 80% of games i bought have been on sales and most of them have cost me less than 30€. It´s a question of patience or even more patience because it will take longer for games to lower to reasonable prices...

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Oh you can count on me being patient. ;)

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    IF they use that stuff yes, but dev dont like doin extra work, we still have them using DX9 api pc side of things granted that is not as bad past few years, but still console game are 50-100gb normal now and with this gen it gona lean toward 100gb if they dont start using new this stuff or compression.

Either way 512gb/1tb on MS console is to small in this day in age and Sony using 825gb is just as bad the first word out my mouth when read sony storage size was "wtf" is wrong with them, do they not realize games are 50-100gb these days hell CoD games are pushing 150gb are gona magic shrink in size? i dont see whow game are that big texture wise. Now uncompressed audio and video which more and more devs seem to want to use can and will use insane amount space.

There is all emphasis on Storage speed this and storage speed that, but both neglecting the fact that speed comes at a insane cost in PRICE and STORAGE, pc have not move too all this for reason it to costly. and why mechanic drive are still a thing. if the price of these "non" mechanical drive were same price as mechanical they would killed of mechanical drives by now.

Time will tell what happen if the insanely small storage drive on both system comeback to haunt them.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Good lord...

Re-read what I wrote, because at the end I said 'it's also less work for them' because not having to optimise a level/map with LOD's, lightmaps, shadows maps and lightmap and shadow map resolution is literally months of work, that you do NOT have to do if you are using realtime and single polygon models for objects and characters, static and dynamic. Those days are gone, if you are smart. If you are dumb and still use LOD (easy to spot with all that pop-in on current tech) - then as I said, your argument holds up, but games on next gen, that's not dumb, that's just incompetence.

I didn't even mention compression, but yeah, the compression on both will I'm sure be solid.

500/835/1tb will all be fine, and even if not, then upgrade like a PC! Storage is now roughly 10 cents per GB! There will always be those who want to upgrade their storage anyway, but, Sony have got the best tech versus M$ using off the shelf. In any case, you gotta STOP using current game install sizes, as those installs have got the same chair, park bench, lamppost, fire hydrant w/e installed 5 times (to cover the LOD) and 5 lots of textures, which could also be 8,192x8,192 all the way down to 128x128! and then, as mentioned, you gotta bake all the lighting into the levels and maps to cover everything!

If you are NOT doing real time lighting and polygon scaling, then yeah, that storage is gonna run out out room really quickly, but new consoles = real time. Watch two things: The deep dive by Sony/Mark on PS5, and, UE5's tech demo, explaining LOD and real time.

Mechanical Drives exist for very large long term storage (I myself have a 6TB WDD Black drive) because it's cost efficient to do this - currently.

My advice is simple, STOP using current tech to base a decision on the subjective drawbacks of future tech.

12. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Now the waiting game.
    30C34CB8-941A-4047-B908-7F3871C47F34.jpeg

Serotonin likes this.
  13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    PS+ PS5 free games. Loads of games to play!

* Batman: Arkham Knight
    * Battlefield 1
    * Bloodborne
    * Days Gone
    * Detroit: Become Human
    * Fallout 4
    * Final Fantasy XV
    * God of War
    " inFAMOUS: Second Son
    * The Last Guardian
    * The Last of Us Remastered
    * Monster Hunter: World
    * Mortal Kombat X
    * Persona 5
    * Ratchet & Clank
    * Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
    * Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    * Until Dawn

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  14. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Yeah that we knew already :D But will we get some 60 FPS mode , or some new resolution, or other enhancements? That will be nice!!! Bloodborne 60 FPS anyone ? :D

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    From what I read the games in question will be PS4 pro versions, where possible.

16. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Yeah....then this is good only for those who never owned a ps4/ps4 pro before.Disappointed tbh.

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    There isn't any info from Sony regarding any graphical upgrades or improved performance. I'd assume that would be up to the studios who own the said games that Sony is offering via PS+.

18. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I was thinking back on prices of games. I remember Double Dragon 3 on nes costing $89.99 @ a toy shop with it's ridiculous mark up. I also remember around Christmas in 97, when 007 for n64 was super hot and hard to find, funcoland (now gamestop) selling it for $110 Man I'm old.

I've learned like some have said here, to just wait. It's amazing how an early adopter these days gets punished. Buy day 1, suffer through bugs, tweaking, pay for dlc, pay premium price, or wait a year, get clean, updated, patched version with all dlc for almost half the price. I started waiting on games on PC simply because so many of them release broken...I would still like to play Horizon Dawn on PC but it's still a mess. So I figure by the time it's working it will be $19.99. I started applying this wait rule on console, not because of broken games, consoles obviously get love from developers usually. But because I would see games drop in price within 2 months of release. With the exception of Nintendo's games, everything eventually gets heavily discounted. Some say going digital will cost you, but I don't get this. I see a digital sale every time I load either console, heck...steam has great sales but they're seasonal, consoles have sales weekly and huge sales seasonally.

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    This is mostly true of multiplayer games, basically all of them. Single story driven games are for the most part polished to a good standard. Apart from the Witcher 2 on the PC, which was a joke on release.

20. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    I don't really agree with the waiting game, life offers no guarantees and waiting a year for a game I really want could turn into a painful process. From my experience hardware is worth buying day1, they don't get cheaper soon and, especially in Sony's case, the first batches are also the best until the next Slim or Pro version. I have experience with both PS3 and PS4 where later revisions of the same hardware (PS3 'phat', PS4 or even PS4 Pro) cut corners in build quality, ranging from screws being replaced with plastic caps to 'redesigned' coolers to use less materials but provide worse cooling performance (without efficiency improvements to the chip itself, those are usually reserved for a new redesigned console).
    Also the first party games are usually worth buying day1 as their quality is pretty high to begin with; with 3rd party games it depends on a per game basis, some companies are notorious for providing us with messed up games, especially multiplatform ones. I'd rather have those on my PC after a while. Luckily many games come out at certain dates in the year (November being one of them) and I tend to buy games one by one as I finish them; by the time I'm done with the games I 'needed' to have day1, the next ones already have patches/price cuts.

Ghosty likes this.