I don't think the 3080 has enough Vram

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Serotonin, Sep 4, 2020.

1. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    16gb would be pretty nice, I was thinking to buy the 3080 but 10gb is a no no for me, so I ended preordering the ps5 instead, I'll wait for the 16-20gb version and jump in

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    There's no 16GB card coming out. They'd have to do similar thing like with GTX 550 Ti and that's not going to happen.

3. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Just saw this just right now, I was very highly interested in this particular kind of test.

8k test was done on the RTX 3080, have a look:

Tested on a Ryzen 3700X, 32 GB RAM @ 3200 Mhz, and, of course, a Geforce 3080 10 GB FE.

Some test Probably needed more system ram as buffer, I remember one time during my testing @ 8k with my old previous 2 1080ti's(11gb vram), some games went well over 40gb of system ram as buffer, and ran probably near 30 fps, but alot of the games here shown on this video I didn't test, so can't say.

EDIT: As as reference, here's a link to 1080ti/2080ti in single or sli mode in 8k test's:

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/...nvlink-8k-60fps-gaming-now-reality/index.html

Look under: 8k Benchmarks

Look up the game: Shadow of War, and on this video, its @ 10:57, same game, use this as a reference base, very interesting results.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    If you are going to spew guesses at people, at least make it legit.

16GB would only allow for a 256bit memory bus, the 3080 uses a 320bit. So a 3080Ti variant keeping the 320bit memory width would need 20GB. So no, there won't be a 3080 16GB variant.

chinobino and Maddness like this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Good job at making yourself look terminologically ignorant, as usual.

Just stick to Radeons, its for the best.

16Gib = 2GB module
    8Gib = 1GB module

3080 = 10x8Gib
    3090 = 24x8Gib

24x8Gib = $$$$$> =/= 12x16Gib

6. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    As someone who's creating an entire city environment in a next-gen game engine, I will say one main thing to take home here...
    Nvidia is in BUSINESS to MAKE MONEY. They want to sell those 8 and 10gb graphics cards AS LONG AS THEY CAN, and sell you a new card as soon as possible.
    Now for the rest...
    As someone who is hitting the limits of 8gb, on a 2070 Super, I strongly urge those who can wait - and who may have to wait anyways with the scalpers and too-much-demand / too-little product - to wait if possible, for the cards to come out with 12~16gb. Those 12~16gb cards should be a sound investment, unless you have a fetish for mud textures 2 years down the road.
    Example: Back in 2014, 4gb of VRAM was sufficient - more than enough. I loaded up a game on an RX 480 4gb card, and it used up 3877mb of VRAM - not allocated - USED. I took the card back later that week and got an 8gb model. By the next year, games were already topping 4gb on many new games that came out.

This is the same scenario now. I bought an 8gb card because I didn't want to pony up for a Quadro with 16gb from the 10xx series when I could get a 20 series with RT. For shame!
    I also didn't know you could use studio / pro drivers on a Radeon VII. If I had known that, I'd have one. After the disaster that was Radeon drivers of 2019, in DEC 2019 I was so fed up with a system that was acting up and messing up my work, that I put 572$ down on Amazon to get one of the only 2070 Super's in stock.
    While it was an awful purchase price - the only other option being a 490$ Zotac 2070 Super Mini, which ran hot and loud (no thanks!), it was what was needed for then and now.
    Fast forward 8 months later and I was slamming into the 8gb VRAM wall.

This can be you, too, with the 3080 10gb, or especially the 3070 8gb that's coming out. Or you can patiently wait and make a sound investment on something with double that memory on it.
    You won't need it tomorrow in the case of the 3080, but it might be nice to have a year down the road, especially if you MOD your games with mods that add textures. Oh but we don't do that here do we? Or do we? Well I DO.

Just saying this again and again every time this topic comes up so you could be free of making the same poor purchase decision as was my 2070 Super 8gb. EVGA makes a really GOOD card, thrilled with it, just wish I could slap another 4~8gb of VRAM on it, like we used to do with 1mb and 2mb upgrade boards on our Matrox cards in the late 90's.

I just hope that the next AMD card I get, if I ever feel like chancing that again, isn't as much of a steaming pile as they were last year. I really don't want to go through the crashing bits again.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You aren't hitting the limits of 10 or 11GB.

8. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    You can go ahead buy a 10gb card and regret later

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Other than the fact that the SKU for an Ampere with 20GB is ALREADY publicly available?

SpookySkeleton and chinobino like this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    And they opted for the 10GB......

11. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Nope this is an 8gb card, I hit that limit, when I get up to 7~7.5gb things get sketchy & Windows throws warnings in the logs. If I add in the rest of the resources, I'll need about 13gb of VRAM total for just the driving simulation and not the modeling program, too. This is accounting for model compression which is done at runtime, sadly (but this doesn't account for VRAM compression techniques, which could save about 1gb, everything is .dds already so it's not that great of a help for textures).
    So for now I set up a second PC with 32gb RAM / 8gb VRAM on it to handle some of the duty so I don't go over the VRAM buffer as much (still do, just not as often).
    Will end up with Radeon Pro or Quadro soon enough. No more desktop cards unless the price is right or they come out with the 16~20gb models within a month or two (or three).

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    The SKU in question is for an upcoming card you dolt.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The SKU's that likely won't be out till the new year when 16Gib modules are in production :rolleyes:

would you rather $1000 for a 16GB 3070 or 699?

14. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Will be a year from now, those 20GB cards. If they even come for real. It will make the 3080 and 3090 obsolete.
    Now I've had several 8GB cards over the years, and never ran out of vram. In fact, it mostly seemed overkill.
    So in modern times we got 4k gaming and even 8k. Maybe 8k will make things difficult, right? But the reality is that most customers will still run 1080p/1440p and even 4k.
    Resolutions that will have enough with 10GB cards. Then there is the graphics texture setting that comes with most games. Ultra/max demands the most vram indeed, but setting it to high gives some air at little cost to those cards that haven't enough vram to begin with.
    In any case, nvidia has tested it with afformentioned resolutions and determined 10GB is enough. At least until the 4000 series are announced and/or launched.
    I would go for the 699 card btw.

15. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    This tears it. I'm cancelling my Gigabyte 3080. Happy with my 2080ti for now. Let's see what the next few months bring

16. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah seriously totally not worth upgrading from a 2080Ti, I'm keeping mine until next gen hits.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  17. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Next week, didn't yah get the memo. :p

angelgraves13 likes this.
  18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I guess it depends on the situation? 1080p or 1440p/100Hz players probably don't need the upgrade but 4K players would benefit from it.

I personally can finally play RDR2 at 4K/60fps locked and playing Control yesterday maxed with full RT was a blast hitting my refresh rate at 3440x1440p most of the time. I'm also looking forward to installing and playing the Horizon Zero Dawn DLC2 at 4K/60fps with HDR enabled which was impossible with the 2080Ti.

I downloaded Quake 2 RTX which will be the ultimate test :p

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    insp1re2600, SpajdrEX and Maddness like this.
  19. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    I suspect it is you who is clueless. they can hardly fill the demand for the current cards. Let alone for a refresh in the next six months.
    Do they have a 20GB model already on the table? I don't have a crystal ball, but chances are they indeed have it. But from a business perspective it would be totally senseless to bring out a new version in a short period after the current release.
    Btw, those games run fantastic in 4K, and benches already show that the 3090 with 24GB! is roughly between 10 and 20% faster.
    Funny how some people are totally overhyped that when a template of videocard version leak, they go out of their mind with speculation.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  20. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I think for me it's enough for the next 2 years and why should I pay more for a 20Gb RTX3080ti or something at least the gaming industry will target the general formula of RAM to reach out and sell as many games possible they ain't gonne bring the standard of Vram taken by games up right now it's a matter of time and we wlll learn I guess

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020