Can my ridiculous dinosaur of a system handle a 3080?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by EFH, Sep 18, 2020.

1. EFH

EFH Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 3070
    Hello everyone,

Given the fact that the computer hardware industry was really not all that exciting throughout the past decade, with not very significant performance gains per generation and using gaming notebooks most of the time for other tasks, I left my desktop system nearly untouched since 2010, aside from the graphics cards. This system began with an 8800GTX taken from my previous system, to a GTX 570 and finally, what's in it now, a GTX 980. So, my currents specs are:

Core i7 930 running @3.6Ghz, with Cooler Master V8 cooler
    MSI Big Bang XPower mobo
    1TB WD HDD
    2x 6GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX kits
    EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB
    Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W 80Plus Gold power supply ( non modular )
    Coolerm Master Storm Sniper case
    Windows 7 64bit Professional

Surprisingly, the system with the 980 still serves me quite well to this day for 1080p gaming. However, the 3000 series cards finally do seem like a worthwhile upgrade, and I feel like the day has come in which 800 euros out of my pocket will get me a great performance spike which will last several years once again.

I do understand that the bottleneck will be huge, however, right now I can't select max texture setting in Doom Eternal due to the lack of graphics memory, so there's that ;)

My intention is to put a 3080 in as the 'last breath' of my system, and if next year or 2022 things will be fine after the covid situation, keep the 3080 and transfer it to an entirely new, high-end system.

Question is... even though my power supply is a 750W unit, I am not entirely sure it can provide the power through 2 6pin rails with an adapter to 2 8pin to then another one for the new 12pin connector. Does anyone have any idea if this might work at all? Here's the exact model of my PSU:

https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/tt_grand_750w/

Also... Windows 7 implications. The 3080 does seem to have a Win7 driver. But... will it even run right? I am currently running Doom Eternal on Win7 with the 980 and it's fine aside from the lack of GDDR memory.

Thanks everyone

mitzi76 likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It was already tricky to find x58 mainboards that could boot Turing, so at the moment I cannot confirm or otherwise.

if your bios has XSDT ACPI fields active, it might? as that was the requirement for Turing.

The real question is should you go for the 3080 at all.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    That CPU will bottleneck the hell out of the GPU. Wait for proper 3080 with 20gb Vram, and in the meantime, upgrade your system into something like Ryzen 3600x. It will serve you for quite some time.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Bottlenecks are application specific, under dx12 titles this cpu could let games fly.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Of course no. New shiny GPU will not respect old fart CPU.

6. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Ideally you want a system built around a CPU that isn't over 10 years old. :eek:;)
    Even an AMD 4core APU will be light years ahead of what you currently own.

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Even at 4k, it would be an obstacle.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not as much as you'd think, these cpu's are still 8 threaded monsters when you can use them in a game, which you can in VK and DX12.

bottlenecks all come down to the application used, its api, how the developer went about implementing physics and AI processing, etc.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Btw, ain`t you need a new PSU for Ampere cards (with their 12 pin connector)?

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    you get an adaptor in the box (2x 8pin to 24pin). PSU makers also supply a new cable as well and a lot of them are giving it away as a free upgrade if you ask (im sure its region and time specific though).

Question is his system is quite old, espeically his CPU and MOBO so how old is his PSU. He says it only has 2 6pin connectors and he wants to daisy chain them through 8 pin adaptors and then to the 8pin to 24 pin adaptor........

He's going to have a bad time if you ask me....

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Whilst this is true it will be interesting too see the results over multiple applications. Jayz2cents is going to do a video on this in the next few weeks but I think hes only going as far back as sandy bridge and not nehalem.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    The cpu lacks avx instructions. You wont be able to even start the newer games on the nehalem cpus. Upgrade is in order then think about new gpu.

13. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    Before I built a new AMD gaming pc last year I was still running my x58 and i7 960 for gaming.

I picked up a 2070 Super and was hoping it would stop the stuttering in BFV. Well, it didn't. Still lots of stuttering.

The same 2070S on the x570 AMD pc and it runs smooth as butter.

I've built a few pc's over the years but the x58 and i7 960 was such a great platform for so long. It's the only pc I have an emotional attachment to. It's been retired from gaming but it's still running great and is now in the music room. Ten years old and still going strong.

Let me also say, the performance jump going from the x58 i7 960 to the 3800x x570 was quite astounding. This new AMD rig just does everything so fast and the game play is silky smooth.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    BS, the only games that have a hard requirement of avx are TWO ps5 ports, and those are under heavy pressure to bundle a non-avx binary because it really is useless for high performance gaming.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Makes sense though seeing other two games from ubisoft actually got patched and working.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I spent 12 hours looking up AVX gaming performance benchmarks and only found a few actual cases whereit only improves the highest of peaks - at 1080p.

My personal findings with avx compilation in emulation, its only a benefit when AVX is all you're using, in high paced gaming, its just not worth it, not for how it heats up cpu's anyway.

Undying likes this.
  17. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    Your MOBO won't have enough bandwidth to fully support and utilize the GPU, especially with that ancient but awesome CPU. I waited for the i5 2500K when I had my Q6600. I did look at the 920 when it dropped but didn't bite.

Grab a cheap Ryzen CPU and MOBO. DDR4 is cheapish too and spend the rest of the budget on a 3070. I suspect the gains will be far more prominent doing it that way, than attempting to squeeze the last breath out of your current system.

GarrettL likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nonsense.

19. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Well I am going to run a 3070/80 at 4k on my 920 at 4ghz Op. So I wouldnt listen to too much naysaying here, although I think the 930 isnt as powerfull as the 920/2500k etc. If I have to I'll upgrade the rest of the system if needs be in the new year..

my psu is a corsair rm 750i so am unsure I have enough power for a 3080. Am running quite a bit of juice into my 920 to hit 4ghz on air. (relatively new psu)

Still x years and still trucking :) (still running a 970 and played some recent games fine)((I dont play a huge amount and more tactical games etc so overall fps isnt a huge issue))

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    what motherboard?