NVIDIA responds to major shortages of GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition graphics cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    All I can say is considering gigabyte just leaked a 20gb variant coming, that would be a decent reason to wait.

2. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
  3. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    At what price point, though? Is it worth $200-300 or more to get RAM that you will likely not use unless you are doing pro rendering?

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I don't even know how you sell a 20GB card. There may be what, one game, if any? that use more than 10GB atm but the cost of GDDR6x is expensive, so it's basically $100-200 more and it doesn't show on benchmarks at all.

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    No one is paying that guys. Again, shill bidders are procreating with greedy sellers that used bots to grab all the inventory. There's plenty of stories about it. Check the interwebz. And shill sellers are "selling" fake cards as a goof.

6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Depends on the person I guess. Still don't get why others care what people do with their money. If someone spends an extra $150 on a 20gb version, let them. How does it effect you? You come off jealous, not concerning.

7. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    There are some speculations that the FE shortage is because of Samsung’s 8nm node having bad yields...or other speculations that the shortage is because of the coolers for the FE cards that are expensive and time consuming to manufacture - this is the first time when Nvidia makes FE cards with such an elaborate cooler design...who knows???
    The pictures with people in front of the stores - if real - reminds me of die hard apple fans waiting for the last iPhone model;)...
    I agree that Nvidia will put something between 3080 and 3090 - a 3080 Ti - and based on how Big Navi will perform we will have other cards (maybe a 16 GB 3070???) so waiting if possible is the best game now...

An article here - everybody draw their own conclusions... https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/0...rtx-30-series-availability-to-inflate-prices/

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Except in reality, it's not. Also, what part of "something between the 3080 and 3090" did you not understand? There will still be something cheaper than the fastest one. And you accuse me of being an idiot?

9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't know why illrigger is so angry but I think most people assume there won't be something between a 3080/3090. In the best possible scenario a 3090 is only going to be 30% faster than a 3080 and given the power limits, I think on average it's only going to be 15-20%. I don't really know how they're going to slot a card there besides a 3080 with more memory or a 3090 with less memory. In either case it's going to be like $200-300 more for barely faster performance. I don't think many people are looking forward to that.

I think this site should be banned from the forum after all the wrong crap he posted leading up to the launch. He throws so much crap at the wall so he can go back and say "look I was right!" afterward. Everyone forgets about the wrong crap.

ACEB and barbacot like this.

11. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    What exactly did I post that was wrong again? Compared to how much stuff that I was responding to that was wrong, which was all of it?

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't see why there wouldn't be something in between. The 3090 is a pretty significant leap, so there is room to fit more products via binning. Also, Nvidia almost always has something lined up to respond to AMD. Considering the prices of the 3080 and 3070, Nvidia was probably tipped off that the RX 6000 series is actually competitive. So, something like a 3080 Ti or Super is, to me, inevitable, but we're not going to know anything about it until AMD releases their flagship. That being said, the 3090 is so much more expensive because Nvidia is likely very confident AMD has no chance of outperforming it.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What are you talking about? Are you "Moore'slawisdead"? If not, I'm not talking to you.

Based on what? I wrote 30% increase - I was actually wrong, it's only 20% more shaders, 20% more memory bandwidth. So at best it's going to be 20% faster than a 3080. Is a 3080Ti that's 10-20% faster actually going to pull many from a 3080? I wouldn't call any of these numbers significant.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Embra likes this.
  14. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    What part of "there will always be something faster" and "if you are waiting for that you will literally never buy anything" did YOU not understand? The entire argument of "wait for the next thing" is circular and can be used for anything in tech, and it's always dumb. Eventually you have to pull the trigger, lest you just stand there doing nothing but posting circular arguments forever.

Personally, I upgrade when what I am buying is both twice as fast as what I have, and a reasonable price. My 3080 is on the truck to my door right now, to replace my 1080Ti, which is half as fast.

15. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    This is the beauty of the internet - everybody is free to speak his/her mind and others with their free minds will decide if what he/she says is a bunch of bull or true...

On the other hand:

[​IMG]

sykozis likes this.

16. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    That's a really good article, and dead on - the bottom line isn't "these are good prices", the bottom line is "we can absolutely crush AMD's ability to make big profits from Big Navi while still looking like the good guy". We have no reason to believe that R6000 will be faster than a 2080Ti - not even the most optimistic rumors have said they will be. So, by positioning the three cards they just released where they did, nVidia has guaranteed that the most AMD will be able to sell the card that they have spent many millions in R&D on will be $500. We can hope for a surprise, but being the underdog sucks sometimes.

Fediuld and Serotonin like this.
  17. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I think the 3080 20 gb is the 3080ti... maybe tweaked a bit more.

18. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    If it will make them money, they will make it. Whether a 3080ti, a 3800tiSE, a 3080ti SUPER, etc. Nvidia has shown for generations now they have no issue with over saturation on variations of a card.

schmidtbag likes this.
  19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    A 20% increase in something of the same generation that is already the most powerful GPU is very significant. The difference in CUDA cores between a 3080 and a 3090 is greater than the total amount in a 1660 Ti, which is already a pretty good GPU as-is. You're also getting more VRAM, memory bandwidth, and tensor cores; tensor cores aren't cheap, if the RTX 2000 series is anything to go by.
    So, I would say as a total product, the 3090 is indeed significantly better.
    Besides, since when does Nvidia not release products that are within 20% of each other? There is a demand for something like a 3080 but with more VRAM while some feel the VRAM of a 3090 is overkill. There is a middle-ground market; Nvidia would be foolish to not tap into it.

Because it's hardly a wait. After AMD releases their stuff (which is soon), Nvidia will either lower their prices or they'll have a competing product ready-to-go [edit] within a couple months.
    I'm not suggesting to wait for next-gen, I'm saying to wait for the market as a whole to level out, but you're too caught up in your own ego to understand that.
    And?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Serotonin likes this.
  20. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    The smart play would be to wait for AMD to show their hand. But patience is a problem with many of us. Waiting a month or two hardly seems "dumb". Wait for all options, then make a decision. If you don't have the ability to wait (I can empathize) be content with what you've ordered. They're all going to perform just as poorly in Crysis remastered and lack ray tracing in devil may cry 5's new edition. Lol.

HandR, Maddness and schmidtbag like this.