Review: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Been looking forward to your review of the Gaming X-Trio Hilbert, and it doesn't disappoint. :)

A cracker of a card as expected, can't wait to get my mitts on one :D

Maddness likes this.
  2. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    priced the equivalent of 1059USD in my country
    EDIT : sorry I apparently went to the wrong shops it's only around 825USD so still more expensive for me than a TUF but not that much it doesnt change the fact that I would buy a dual bios TUF instead (they have a silent bios mode which is still 1°C colder than msi)

old "hellish temperature backplate" design with no exhaust hole making it +9°C hotter than an asus TUF priced 799USD here thats 260$ less ! for better !
    after a quicklook the perfs are around the same
    MSI is insulting their customer with that lazy design, as current MSI motherboard and 1080ti owner I have zero interest and will recommend no one buys it

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  3. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    must be stock with one card doing zero because my msi 1080ti full stock reaches 297watts and oc to 1974Mhz 320+ easily (worst case I've a log of is 384watts !)
    thats for ONE card so if SLI worked properly that would be 600watts minimum not 364
    edit : I think in the 3080 FE gamer nexus video he has graphs of power and also a 320 watt single 1080Ti

4. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Could always get a second PSU just because and an Add2PSU adapter, so you can run both PSU's together. I have been for years.

At one point had three 1.5k PSU's on two adapters.

5. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Sure as hell don't miss my quad SLI'd Titans... 300+ watts a piece!!

6. Olfert Hansen

Olfert Hansen Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    It is more silent under run than TUF tho. Kinda interesting.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Probably lower fan speeds.

8. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    just a reminder that a youtuber, don't remember who leaked that Nvidia did not provide drivers to manufacturers at the beginning just a dos-like test app giving a pass or fail
    at the same time before there were actual benchmarks leaked (that would require drivers) all the AIB announced their design
    unless someone proves otherwise it seems like they made their cooling design based on a syntethic no datalog test
    and....we get cards like this, there is no reason to buy a card with the old full backplate design I have one a 320+Watts msi gaming x 1080ti I do not want an even hotter furnace than this in my case i already burned my finger on it it's 80°C+ after a long gaming session...the backplate I mean not the gpu, never gets hotter than 65°C in my case
    the same design than 2 gens older cards is not acceptable
    EDIT : sorry I apparently went to the wrong shops it's only around 825USD so still more expensive for me than a TUF but not that much, I will edit my previous post
    the TUF offers a silent bios which is 1°C better than MSI for -1dB than them

9. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It sadly does not work, have the 1080ti with 3 8 pins, and it does require them all. Can only assume the way they have it working is none of the 8pins are full load and are spreading the power inbetween them.

10. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Would be good to see a difference, Ventus was a dual fan card, and the trio was 3. But now the Ventus is also 3 fans, Though I think there should be a difference in matterial unsure how much that matters beyond seeing a review of the other card though, but a good £100ish difference so has to be for something beyond a pre overclock

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I said 1080's not TI's. I was going off Hilbert's power draw chart on page 6 under power draw from this article.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Why did you include an attached photo that clearly shows the solution to your problem?

Though it's a bit of an odd picture to begin with....genuinely curious why it assumes how many PCI-Slots a GPU takes up has anything to do with how many 8-pins a GPU will have and how it magically makes it okay to have two cables coming off the PSU with one splitting to the 3rd 8-pin. Not saying that won't be okay, as your math, as you said, shows that to be the case, the 3rd 8-pin is mostly i would assume to hope to not overload a single 8-pin, basically, it's overhead.

13. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    For those comparing the MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio with the Asus 3080 TUF Gaming OC ^^
    You should be comparing the MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio with the Asus ROG Strix 3080 OC when available (both 3 x 8pin power connectors with most likely similar core clock OC).
    and the Asus 3080 TUF Gaming OC with the MSI 3080 Ventus 3x OC when available (both 2 x 8 pin power connectors with similar core clock OC).

There is most likely less difference on temps on load between the MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio and the Asus ROG Strix 3080 OC.
    You can also always make a custom fan curve on the MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio with Afterburner and increase fan speed slightly, it will be still very quiet on load^^

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    To me, whichever is more silent or less cost or has better features (ie more HDMI 2.1 ports) is enough criteria. OCd or higher clock versions is least consideration, since their performance gains are miserly with Ampere and would be virtually unnoticeable.

15. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    MSI card is cheaper, faster and quieter than an Asus Strix. Win!

16. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    Looks like a beast. Shame it's about AUD$1400. I'm putting together a new build next year and would prefer to buy the GPU brand new but I bought my last card (1080 Gaming X Trio) off ebay for $700 by holding off until the RTX cards were released.. and sold my 1070 for $400 so it saved me a lot of money. I'll have to keep an eye on the price.

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Just read the review, great card and very silent! MSI delivers again. The problem is that it costs 810€ here in Portugal, ouch! That and the 10Gb memory...

But something that is making me worry is that every card seems to have coil whine, is that correct??? Paying a lot of money for cards with coil whine is a big no for me.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
  19. clopezi

clopezi Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Thats not fake, but I guess that many people want a card with premium components, low noise and good temps and performance.

I don't care if they use two or three connectors. I't's a waste? Maybe. But dosn't matter to me.

20. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC