Review: GeForce RTX 3080 Founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Nope. The main thing putting me off that is the 1 year warranty on used cards and reduced RT performance. But I wouldnt have to upgrade my PSU or worry about finding it in-stock since I think miners are going to rush the new cards.

Serotonin likes this.
  2. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Thank you for this as it has been a concern. :)

3. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Performance per watt graph would be nice. Quake 2 RTX too. Otherwise its really time to get rid of coil whine - its should be here in 2020, maybe it would be next major feature of next gen..

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Serotonin and ZXRaziel like this.
  4. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    I'll skip to Hopper.

5. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I agree , It seems strange to have all those transistors that seem to not do much in games , was this GPU originally intended for workstations ?

Turanis likes this.
  6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Powerful, yes, but thirsty and very hot it seems.

7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Oh hell yeah, it would still give me a nice boost, no doubt. But I'd rather upgrade the whole rig. I'm in no rush. My rig plays everything I throw at it very respectably.

I'll wait to see how Cyberpunk performs, but having experienced DLSS 2.0 and the performance boost it offers, I'm sure it'll be a doddle for my 2080. If for whatever reason not, I might just slot in a 3080 in this rig and then upgrade CPU next year. This way I would get another cycle out of my 32GB of RAM too, before going DDR5.

Cyberpunk is the only game I'm looking forward to in the foreseeable future, it really looks like everything I wanted TW3 to be just for it to turn out to be a massive let down. Oh and WoW: Shadowlands, but that will run fine on pretty much anything.

8. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Based on reviews the GPU temperature under load is very reasonable.

ZXRaziel, schmidtbag and wrathloki like this.
  9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    We need faster CPUs.

OnnA, Maddness, Stormyandcold and 3 others like this.
  10. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I’m thinking the same thing as you with getting the 3080 now and maybe upgrading CPU down the line. Mine is a bit older (6700k) but I want to see how things run first, and I think they’ll be mostly fine on my 1440p144 monitor and 4k60 tv. Cyberpunk and Shadowlands are the 2 things I’m really looking forward to also. I think this card should give me a great boost in WoW over my 980 ti for sure, plus shadowlands will have ray tracing. I’m finally going to be able to replay witcher 3 at 4k60 as well, with fancy hair on too probably.

11. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Yes, cod maxed out at 1440 uses 10gb for me

12. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    It allocates 10gb, that doesn’t mean it’s using 10gb. You’d need some kind of engine level diagnostic to see what’s actually being used.

Lebon30, nizzen and alanm like this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Isnt it better having more allocated memory for more efficent use? Im sure there will better having more than being on the edge of smooth and stuttering.

wavetrex likes this.
  14. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
  15. AlexM

AlexM Member

GPU:
    rtx 3080 Eagle OC
    Nice performance gain have to admit, BUT man that 330W peak power consumption is a huge no no for me. Prices are insane where i live, 870Eur and up, thats an even bigger NO NO. :D Thanks for the good review Hilbert. Maybe you will do some Vram usage tests in different games.

16. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I’m no expert but the talk with these cards is that the RAM is so fast it shouldn’t be as big of a deal as it was with past generations.

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Shadowlands will still run great on 980ti until you come to a world boss where your fps will tank, regardless of what CPU/GPU you have. But perhaps, you'll be able to turn on RTX and it won't have much of an impact on the performance.

About TW3, actually looking at the charts, it's one of those games that doesn't get much of a boost, going from 2080ti to 3080. Go figure. But still, it's not like your CPU will bottleneck you there and you'll easily double your FPS.

6700k is no slouch by any means, for gaming anyway. Honestly the one thing my 7700k does better is overclocking, otherwise they're pretty much identical in performance.

18. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    RAM bandwidth doesn't make up for capacity, that was a myth sold by AMD to get tech ignorant folk to buy Fury X's.

Solfaur likes this.
  20. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Performance in WoW on 980 ti actually isn’t great. In BFA zones I’m only getting 90-120 FPS and that’s with several settings turned down quite a bit. I’m hoping I’ll be able to crank everything up as high as it goes with the 3080 and get a higher frame rate on top of that. Oh and yeah lots of particles like at world bosses absolutely tanks performance on this card even with the setting turned down halfway.