NVIDIA Could Release Its Own CPUs In The Near Future

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 16, 2020.

1. asder

asder Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1080TI
    Well, they already make CPUs...
    The Jetsons have them , also the Nintendo switch has another ...

schmidtbag likes this.
  2. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Well that is a thing but unlikely what the users of this forum are after.
    Nvidia can sell tons of CPUs without x86 ( tegra, nintendoSwitch, automotive tv set boxes, new consoles ). But when it come to desktop guru3d-like kind of customer, the one that says `i m not sure i would take the first gen` you probably do not want to hear about emulation of x86 opcodes. You are looking at the fancy stuff for the current and next games.

3. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    Surprised no one is mentioning cars, they are all in on AI tech for various things but mostly driverless cars and now they can supply the full package. Complete Nvidia Laptops/tablets and you know full well they are the next apple now and will be developing their own phones and wearables. I'm glad I got some shares at £150 because in 10 years they'll be worth £1500 each

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Nvidia could release CPU...
    So, that means I could buy a green CPU?

5. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    Oh great. Now we will have CPU's with power limits too?

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    That's not correct at all - WOS (Windows on Snapdragon) has an x86 compatibility layer. It's slow, but it works. Linux and *BSD have binfmt_misc, where you can run binaries of any architecture you want without a full-blown emulator, so long as you have the appropriate libraries. Mac OS will have Rosetta 2, which their upcoming ARM platforms will use to run older Mac programs.
    Binary compatibility with ARM is a non-issue no matter what you use.

Such laptops already exist - I'm using one right now (Lenovo Yoga C630; there is an Intel variant of this same name). I get around 15 hours of usable battery life.

Came here for this: Nvidia's Tegra series is just a beefed-up ARM CPU with Nvidia graphics.

asder likes this.
  7. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    All the fancy stuff in games is done on the GPU nowadays, including texture streaming? With all the microcode updates from Intel, has x86 got any specific and useful features for gamers?

My GTX1080Ti is 99% used and my E5-2695 v3 (Turbo unlocked on all 14 cores @3.3GHz) is around 20% when gaming @2560x1440.

I don't think it would be too much to expect for Nvidia's ARM CPU to be able to cover that 20% even if it is emulated x86.

8. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    :-D

Intel already have power limits built in,

Before I unlocked my 'v3' Xeon, when I was using all cores it would limit the Turbo to 2.8GHz - after unlocking the Turbo, all 14 run @3.3GHz and the CPU doesn't go above 71c.

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Nvidia have already released some CPUs and they could have released more anytime they wanted because they have an ARM license. They didn´t need to buy ARM for this reason... Unless they are planning something different...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    sykozis likes this.
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    They bought ARM because SoftBank was doing a crappy job at making it competitive, which was hurting their own objectives. Nvidia has the resources and expertise to really push it ahead. They depend on ARM to maximize their own profits in the server and automotive industry, so, I expect to see ARM really turn into something totally new. All I care about is that they don't make the license more expensive, and, that they don't ruin the advantages ARM has over x86 (better efficiency at lower speeds, 0W parked cores, extremely low inter-core latency, etc).

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Correction; NVIDIA will release their own CPUs next year.

With the Switch Pro rumoured to offer 4K, I'm intrigued on multiple levels what the outcome of this is going to be.

I said years ago that Nvidia should buy ARM. If I was Nvidia; I'd buy VIA next...

ARM/x86 hybrid CPUs is the real future.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nvidia's been releasing it's own CPUs since 2008.. Most of them are just generic ARM flips but they did also have several iterations of Denver which was a very custom solution.

The question is whether they'll work on a desktop/server class CPU or help facilitate others to do so in a more competitive fashion, after they take over ARM.

For us the issue lies with Windows/Game compatibility on ARM. The Surface X is probably the best Windows on ARM experience... and it's not great.

13. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It's akin to first gen RTX. It'll get better and I think in a very short time it'll be great.

14. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    I got some back in 2008 @$12... sold 180 after a few years @$40 but kept the bulk.. glad I did now :)

I was going to buy £10k worth back in 1999 when I got an IT OPS job working shifts and had money to burn but I didn't understand the tax side of things so chickened out. Back then Nvidia was splitting shares almost on a monthly basis.. without splitting that would now be 3,333,333.33 (never tortured myself to work out with the splits.. probably 7-10M :-$)

I would have bottled it years ago so it's all water under the bridge.. :-D

*I first heared of Nvidia when I saw Sega Virtual Fighter Arcade and my first card was the TNT.. detonator drivers were insane!!)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Stormyandcold likes this.
  15. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    That's not blood your avatar is wiping, it's tears lol.

Ne1l likes this.

16. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    your right I just worked it out for the first time....

10000 GBP to USD in 1999 1.62 x 10000 = $16200

nvidia share price 1999 $16200 / 1.6 = 10125

NVDA Split History Table

Date Ratio
    06/27/2000 2 for 1 = 20250
    09/17/2001 2 for 1 = 40500
    04/07/2006 2 for 1 = 81000
    09/11/2007 3 for 2 = 121500

121500 * 510 = 61,965,000

... like I said I'd have bottled it years ago.. but a good story to tell the grandkids ;-)

17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Having 3 players in both the CPU desktop and GPU desktop market would be ideal.

18. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    They could make a killer console or TV box with Nvidia Gpus and Cpus. They could make a new shield but with way more processing power.

19. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    NV makes ARM CPUs right now. If you want to use ARM go do so, but NV will never EVER get an x86 licence to make standard CPUs.

20. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    How? Buying ARM doesn't give them the licence to make x86

Also Nvidia already makes ARM CPUs is not like they don't have the licence to do so.
    Simply NGreedia will lock ARM CPUs for everyone else than themselves. Not the first time has done so. Multiple companies bought just to kill any competition. 3DFX, Ageia, want more?