NVIDIA Could Release Its Own CPUs In The Near Future

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The CEO of Nvidia, Jensen Huang said during a conference call yesterday, we could see the Nvidia brand CPUs in the not too distant future. This would take the company to a new level of competition wit...

NVIDIA Could Release Its Own CPUs In The Near Future

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I think this is interesting. More competition is better for everyone: more choice and better pricing.

That said, I am not sure I would consider buying a first-gen CPU from NVIDIA but maybe when they've matured to the 2nd or 3rd? Why? Well, being new to the CPU market there are bound to be bugs and issues with the initial design that will be picked up on by reviewers and no doubt NVIDIA will take on the comments to make a better future product. It's like AMD, Ryzen Zen1 was good but Zen3 is likely to a much, much better product such that I will almost certainly be buying an AMD 4000 CPU next year to replace my ageing i7-4770K.

This will be the first time I have used an AMD CPU since the early 2000s as I've always found Intel to mkae the superior CPU. Not now though as I feel Intel have stagnated releasing CPUs on a dated manufacturing node at high prices with each one requiring a new motherboard and chipset. Heck, they don't even support PCI-e 4 as far as I am aware.

3. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Just to be clear, they can't make x86 cpus. They can make just arm cpus.
    They can make a new platform not cpus for the computers as we are used now. No retro compatibility with current software.

Fediuld likes this.
  4. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    As the article states this will most definitely be server CPUs first. Server software is far more likely to be available for ARM processors natively quite quickly as the hardware becomes available and more wide-spread.

Lily GFX and alanm like this.

5. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    One of my biggest dream and wished for christmas....since i was young...

Lily GFX likes this.
  6. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    I wonder what the timescale is likely to be, surely it must be 2022 at the earliest?

7. Excalibur1814

Excalibur1814 Active Member

GPU:
    1660ti
    No doubt that nVidia will eventually make great products... but they will charge you LOTS of $$$$ for it. Lots and lots.

8. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    They can make they own cpu as soon as the buy is done, the day after, with nothing new on the tech side ( arm 8.x ).
    There are already arm server cpus, and desktop arm cpu ( chinese market ), is just a matter of what they want really do.

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Good. The more competition the better.

I think a fully ARM-based laptop can be quite insane.

Lily GFX likes this.
  10. undorich

undorich Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce Palit 1080
    anyone remembering the nforce disaster ? ^^ what are they trying to achive ? full spectrum dominace ?

11. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    Not quite... Microsoft released the Surface Pro X - which has a custom ARM CPU and it runs x86 (32-bit) apps. So half way there already..

Nvidia still own the Transmeta IP, Intel paid them to not continue trying to use it (as part of the IP lease a while back)... that agreement has expired now. Let's see if they try to bundle x86 emulation into their custom CPU's.

Lily GFX likes this.
  12. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    Why was it a disaster?

From what I recall, Nvidia release bleeding edge specs on their boards with loads of overclocking tweaks. Intel freaked out because it couldn't dictate what features Nvidia could and couldn't included and therefore wouldn't allow Nvidia to have a bus license for future CPU's.

Lily GFX likes this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Can we turn b ack time and change history so we're all using nvidia athlon cpu's.

Caesar likes this.
  14. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli

Buying ARM kind negates the 'being new to the CPU market' besides Nvidia have made some of the best ARM CPU's (in the Shields) for a looong time..

15. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    I had a Duron 600 overclocked to 1GHz with a solid copper (motherboard bending) CPU cooler.. them were the days!! :)

16. Quetzall

Quetzall Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gtx 670OC SLI
    Yes, I remember that Nvidia was having a dominant position in chipsets until Intel decided to integrate the northbridge in the CPU. That killed the Nforce.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats not what killed the nforce,

Nvidia had a license to create chipsets compatible with intel boards

Intel took nvidia to court to stop them from making an x58 equivalent chipset for Nahalem/Westmere (First Gen Core i7) deciding that the license didn't cover QPI/DMI data links to the IOH.

The case was settled, with nvidia being compensated financially and given access to a limited set of intels patents, and the terms of the license being defined as NOT covering QPI/DMI.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Lily GFX likes this.
  18. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    I feel that outisde of server implementation, this will be a further push into SoC and mobile computing provision rather than the desktop space.

Will likely overlap with other avenues of their work such as AI, self driving vehicles, and their new industry robots.

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Nforce killed itself

20. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    I hope they can make RTX IO/Direct Storage backward compatible somehow if they design the whole system :>
    Either way looking forward to see what Nvidia/ARM can do^^

Caesar likes this.