Anyone else tempted by ebay 2080Tis?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DannyD, Sep 8, 2020.

1. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Know i am.:D
    Wouldn't mind one to keep me by till 3070ti, could have one by this weekend, a 10gb 3080 hell knows when, next weekend if very lucky.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    2080ti's are still expensive here but i've seen 2080 super for 450€. That was a steal only few weeks ago.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I'll buy only second hand leather jackets, if you catch my drift.

4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Not at all.

5. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I've a massive backlog of pc games to get through, rdr2, Jedi FO, Outer Worlds to mention a few.
    A 2080ti would see me through to at least january and then hopefully bigger vram cards will be here by then.
    All the nice 2080tis are getting bought up like hot cakes right now.:D

6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    People are indeed scared now. Cheapest one right now in these parts is at 450 euro lmao.

Noisiv and DannyD like this.
  7. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    It's not only the fact i've no gpu to see me by till 10gb 3080, i'm also not too happy about the 10gb.
    Also i know exactly what i'm doing, i know new cards are basically here, i just wanna 2080ti is all at least until we have more choice.
    I start my fortnights holiday next week much prefer playing games than sitting about for 10gb 3080.
    *don't get me wrong i still think 3080s are great cards even the 10gb version, just rather wait a bit longer.
    If i see a nice 2080ti thursday night i'm buying so no-one take the piss if i do. lol:cool::D

The Goose likes this.
  8. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Quite a few Palit 2080ti`s under £500 in the UK, while im temped to jump...im going to wait and see what the 3070 at least runs like compared to my Msi 2080s Ventus xc oc.

Maddness and DannyD like this.
  9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I must say at these prices I have been a little tempted the performance is just insane at those prices.

I would love to know if these have hindered current GPU retail sales. I mean if someone wants a new GPU and they can only afford 5700XT or a 2070S...... why would anyone buy those new when 2080Ti's are going for the same price and some of them I've seen are NEW IN BOX for like £450 which is insane value.

But if Nvidia are telling the truth (i dont have reason to believe they are not) then the 3070 is going to be awsome.

Maddness and DannyD like this.
  10. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Yes on ebay many 'opened never used' and 'factory refurbished' ones showing up now with 30 days returns policy.
    I've contacted someone selling one close by so if that doesn't go down i imagine it'll be one of those nearly new ones with a 30 day return.
    It'll be nice to compare to my old 2070S, whilst keeping close eye on 3K series and future card releases.
    Even if CP2077 RT totally destroys the thing, i'm ok to upgrade again, i'm just thinking the 2080ti would be a fun card to tinker with a while and i'd lose the stress of trying to grab 3080 on release.:)

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I doubt the RT in Cyberpunk will cripple a 2080Ti the implementation has been said to be subtle but enough to be noticeable. Its mostly just reflections in puddles and on metal surfaces. And even then not everything is reflected and its heavily controlled. I don't think its using RTGI.

It's also gotta run on next gen consoles too remember.

DannyD likes this.
  12. Killersjp

Killersjp Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    Well mine should hopefully be going on Ebay if i am lucky enough to get a 3090.

13. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Yes and no. I'll never buy a used gpu. So while paying $500ish for a 2080Ti interests me. I'd only buy new. And amazon/newegg are laughably expensive still $1500+ for new ones.

But with the mining craze rumored to start up again, I can see why people are doing this.

14. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    How come? You still get the full warranty as long you get the receipt and gpu's basically are only touched once for the most part so they are in mint condition.

15. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Got a Gaming X trio to pay for later today, got it from an ebay shop, it's basically new, got it for half price plus 30 day return< very important. :)
    MSI are unloading quite a few 2080TIs right now on ebay, listed under 'refurbished' and such. Also buying from a shop with uber review score so not much stress.
    *Remember folks don't take the piss.:mad::D

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Too much of a hassle to me if something goes wrong with it. No clue what the person did with it when they owned it ...especially in these days of mining...which kills a warranty doesn't it?

17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yeah it can be a little scary buying used online, but I try buy all mine from local sellers so I can pay them a visit if something isn't right. If not you kind of have to do a bit of guesswork outside of pictures based on the information given. I'd check what buyer protection you have.

I doubt mining kills warranty as there's no way to tell if a card has been used for such. Just make sure seller isn't putting up several gpu's, try to buy a card that is not typically associated with mining.
    For example I bought my 1070ti instead of a 1080 because it came out nearly 1 1/2 years later and was not really popular with miners afaik.

18. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    My last 9 cards were all used ranging from Evga 680`s to my current Msi rtx2080s ventusxc oc and all with transferable warranty left, they were all resold still working and still in warranty, generally i keep a gpu form 12-18 months and only buy from sellers with equal seller feedback as my self...which is 100% perfect, although i did buy an Evga 980ti new then bought a second card used for nearly half the price so actually made money when i sold them as a pair.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Serotonin likes this.
  19. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    With a couple of Rtx 2080 Super going for about 463USD (local $ to USD), I must say I'm tempted. Many sellers of Rtx 2080 Ti's in my neck of the woods are asking for around 650USD to about 1k USD for their cards. IMHO, those asking for the high abou 700 to 1k USD range might as well not bother as nobody in his right mind and savvy enough would pay that price. Anyway, I've bidded 460'ish for the RTX2080 Super, let's see if I can get it.

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    In response to the thread title: nah!

The 3080 is the more powerful card so even if I could buy a 2080 Ti for £500 then I would consider it overpriced as it should never have been £1,100+ in the first place. Also, second hand means older used hardware that could have been tampered with, mistreated, etc. I might have bought one NEW for around £500 but since prices are still inflated for these cards at retailers then that is not going to happen.

Better to just wait and get a 3080 in my opinion. Wait longer and you might be able to get a 20 GB version or even a 3080 Ti. The 2080 Ti is two years old now and old last-gen hardware.