I don't think the 3080 has enough Vram

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Serotonin, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You never seen something that make you stop and wow at it? Even in motion i see the extra detail.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Seems that rumours are that AMD's upcoming Big Navi cards will have 16 GB for the high end card at $549 and 8 GB for the lower end ones. If that is true then it does look as if the RTX 3080 is a bit lacking in VRAM. This was honestly the only thing that worried me when I watched the announcement as an owner of an 11 GB GTX 1080 Ti. That said, the 3080 is actually the replacement for the 8 GB 2080 so in that respect it does have more VRAM and there will likely be a 3080 Ti with 12-16 GB of VRAM at some point which would be the true successor to the 2080 Ti and 1080 Ti variants.

I suppose it depends on how long you typically keep a GPU before upgrading again as to whether the VRAM requirements are enough. Right now in 2020, 10 GB is likely more than enough for most games, including the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077, but in 2021 and 2022? Maybe not once the next gen consoles are fully established. While it is true that they both only have 16 GB in total for system and GPU usage, their unique ultra fast SSD setup means that they can pull data in and out of RAM far faster than a PC can (the PS5 demo of Ratchet & Clank: Rifts Apart is an amazing example of how this tech can work). NVIDIA are implementing something similar on their Ampere cards for PCI-e 4 but not everyone will have the hardware to make proper use of it (PCI-e 4 + NVMe SSD) so that means developers will still have to design their games around slower loading systems (hard drives and SATAIII SSDs) and this may mean utilising more VRAM to offset the lack of high speed loading from the SSD. This may be where 10 GB of VRAM will become a problem in 2021 but then you might be someone who upgrades their card every 18 months so by then you'll be looking at buying a 4080 with more VRAM anyway.

My GTX 1080 Ti has lasted me over 3.5 years which is an extraordinary length of time for a GPU as I usually upgrade every 18 months or so. This card though was exceptional, offering a staggering amount of performance and VRAM for a reasonable price, so much so that I never once considered forking out for the, IMO, overpriced 2080 Ti with its much hyped and ultimately disappointing RTX features. However, I expect the 3080 will be an 18 month card if I bought one but if there is a 3080 Ti next year then I expect it will cost nearer £1,000 rather than the more consumer friendly £700 that my 1080 Ti cost me. That would make it less of a bargain in my book even if also lasted me 3 years, simply because that initial asking price is far less appealing. £1,000 is a lot to pay for a GPU that might only last a year before being superseded by something much faster.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    HandR, Maddness and Solfaur like this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    3085 or ti will get 16Gib modules in the new year

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Same here. Even though I know there will be a 3080Ti/Super with more VRAM coming, I do not see it at 700 euros or close to it, but more towards the 1000-1200 price range. As it stands right now (before all the reviews and comparisons) the 3080 is hell of a bang for your buck card.

5. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I could probably stretch to £800, something like 20gb 3080, but sure 3080 10gb will be amazing, £650 hard to believe. Imo price is mostly due to fact consoles about to launch.

6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    This describes every PC gamer.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    agree totally. games runs like crap with barely any visual fidelity to justify, all games should run like bf5 does and they should use the frostbite engine

8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Got some internal info from one of the biggest shops in my country that card availability will be so bad that only few pieces will be available but only at the end of the month, bigger shipments around the christmas.

9. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
    Yikes, looks like I’ll sticking with my 2070 for a while. Not necessarily a bad thing, my wallet will thank me. :D

Maddness and endbase like this.
  10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Expected as much, probably be the same here and then when they are available it will be at a premium price by the etailer...

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Why's that? I can't stand 30FPS so that's one of the main reasons I play PC games.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Almost feels like nVidia don't believe in themselves when producing so few chips. Waiting as long as to Christmas feels almost pointless, thought I guess it would work in AMDs favor if they've got better availability.

13. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    I have a 1080 ti too, great card, lasted long time, from 2017 with pride. Now it's time to change.

Vram regarding, yes I have the same concern. Ok, 10 GB is kinda small I think it's just on the spot for 1080p and 2k future games from the 3-4 years to come in gaming. But I'm getting the 3080 asus strix now. I'm not waiting for a 3080 ti / super with a 12/16/20 GB vram. I think Nvidia will put either 16 or 20 gb vram and like kinda +2000 Cuda cores vs. 3080 Cuda cores. And with a bigger price tag 1000$ or even a little more since the gap from 700 to 1500 is large. So if I wait and get a ti or a super card, then I think the vram will be overkill for a card like 3080. I mean, ok, 10gb is just on the spot, at the limit, but a 16gb card or a 20 gb is too much and I pay too much for some thing I will not use in gaming for 3-4 years and I pay a little more for those +2000 Cuda cores vs 3080 vanilla. No thanks.
    I just hope that the 3080's 10gb will be just enough for the future games to come in let's say, 3-4 years of the card's life span. At least for me that's the life span. Planning to upgrade from 3080 in 3-4 years.

14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    If only it didnt have less vram than the nearly 4 year old 1080 ti...

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I know, it annoys me as well. But then again, at least the price is decent this time around, and I'll just upgrade 1-2 years from now, if vram really becomes an issue again (and I know, I've bee through it with 2x970s...). I'm at 3440x1440 now for almost 2 weeks, so far I haven't had an issue other than lack of sheer GPU power from my old 1080Ti. Might be a different story with newer RTX enabled titles. I'll have to see more reviews and comparisons before making a decision, and besides, it will bet at least another month till the cards become available around here, if rumors turn out true.

Dragam1337 likes this.

16. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Solfaur -

I hope it's not true, I think they will have them in stock in the first week (Romanian) :)

Solfaur likes this.
  17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I hope it is, else I might make a hasty choice, lol. :p

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm not joining the mad rush to buy early, I have plenty to do until the next batch release.
    Its not so sweet of NVidia to have initial reviews changed to appear so late, no time to choose. Like there is something not right.
    So its kindof a relief not to be involved buying the first batch.
    I'll smile and place a pre-order.

Serotonin likes this.
  19. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Not all reviewers got card at exact date, that's why they postponed it a little. There is nothing else wrong (with the driver).

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Why only lay problems on the driver, why so specific and how can you be so certain?
    Why do you care what I'm doing?