New AMD Agesa Combo V2 1.0.8.1 update potentially improves latencies between CPU cores

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 14, 2020.

1. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    1.0.8.1 F-30a bios runs fine in my x570 Aorus Master rev 1.0 mboard. I added 2x8GB more ram to populate 32GB in all four slots (4x8) @ 3733MHz using a combination of XMP + faster-than-stock ram timings of 16-19-19-19-39-68 1T Gear Down (CL is set to 15 in the bios which =16 CL at boot with GD.)

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah USB flashing is really handy, CMOS can be cleared if needed too or powering down the system including plugging it out or shutting off the PSU plus also removal of the motherboard battery if it's accessible for a few minutes.
    Careful not to damage anything if going for a removal of the battery if there's no switch or other method for clearing this completely.
    (CMOS reset on the back of the motherboard is common but then there's also jumper pins or switches on the board for this process.)

That's some good info too usually the USB flashing from a powered off state resets things to default but a full clear on top of that doesn't hurt between major bios revisions especially with some of the changes to AGESA and the motherboard vendors usual vagueness on more detailed changes.

USB flashing might require a up to 16 GB stick for FAT32 too or partitions of a larger stick so the data can be read and written.

Gigabyte uses a particular naming system - Gigabyte.bin - for the bios file itself after downloading the file from them which would otherwise be something like X570-SomeBoardNameHere.F30A
    (So the manual or their website could be useful if there's something like that for this process.)

EDIT: Depending on how the USB flashback process is handled this can also sometimes cover the secondary bios if the board has one, takes a bit longer and you might want to keep a older but known stable bios revision as the backup one for convenience. :)
    (Or a bunch of USB sticks alternatively with these bios revisions on for ease of quick flash purposes.)

Seems that for purposes of avoiding profile problems Gigabyte is also not the only one that invalidates older saved profile data for new revisions so remembering some of it either via photo or writing it down could be neat when it's more than just some quick changes and dropping down the XMP for memory. :D
    (Which probably should also be tested because even with the new 500 series motherboards and Zen2 CPU's compatibility can be a bit of a process for some hardware here, RAM and motherboard.)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Any real world benchmarks ? :)

4. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I can say there is nothing for the TrX40 from Gigabyte at least. Maybe one day I'll get froggy, but the description from Gigabyte themselves says Memory Compatibility....

5. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Activate CPPC and Prefered Cores. If you do not use PBO make sure is OFF under PBO and on XFR settings. (2 places) and use custom power profiles like 1usmus or Community Powerplan V4 or V5.

While gaming my 3900X was going 4625 on 2 core 100% constant load, 4500-4550 on the rest of the CCD0. On CCD1 they were around 4400 max. With the first AGESA V2 bios, I was able to achieve 4.7ghz on the 3900X on 2 cores, 4570-4600 on the rest of the CCD0 and 4400 (still) on CCD1.

With the X570 Taichi, you need to put the settings back BY HAND every time you change bios. Never ever load from previous version the settings as they are very unstable and if you have 3600C15 kit, you can do 3800C14-14-15-16 with very tight tFaw and tFRC which greatly boost gaming performance due to big drops on RAM latency. DRAM cal have very loose tFAW and tFRC. You need to find the sweet spot.

DeskStar likes this.
  6. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    Work fine for me with same settings I had before^^
    [​IMG]

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    .3 nice :mad:

8. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    Some versions ago I had 64.0ns on memory latency with same settings but current L3 Cache latency is lowest I seen since I got the motherboard and CPU.
    I have made no changes to CPU only memory, but might try when the new app release on on guru3d^^

9. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Considering how long it took Asrock to get 1.0.0.6 out........ :mad: Oh well, I do have an MSI B550 Gaming Plus in one of my machines now and it has the 1.0.8.0 already. :)

10. This looks pretty interesting!

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The only real way amd could have pulled this off is if they somehow are now running some aspects of the chips at a higher rate than before.

12. AnTiLooP

AnTiLooP Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080Ti
    Running R9 3950X, no PBO, just have it set to AUTO.
    Ram is 3200 DDR4, 1600fclk.

Tested between f22 agesa 1002 vs f30a agesa 1081. No notable changes seen.
    Results were 64ns give or take between both Agesa versions.

13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Interesting that Gigabyte posted bios almost instantly after release for my mobo ( B550 Arous elite)

ManofGod likes this.
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Which I assume falls on the end user to perform - and from what I gather it's a delicate and somewhat complicated process. Honestly I feel like this is a bad design choice, why shouldn't a BIOS update clear current BIOS first and then add the new data? Ridiculous if you ask me.

I thought USB flashing was reserved to the more pricey versions?

My Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite has something called "Q-Flash Plus update BIOS Without Installing CPU, Memory and Graphics card", not sure if that's it? Hm, I'll check.

Edit - Found it, Q-Flash Plus is indeed USB flashing from a Shutdown State (S5). So, next time I want to flash a new BIOS I should:
    1. Turn off the computer
    2. Clear CMOS with jumper
    3. Use Q-Flash Plus

Right?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The windows tools used to have a checkbox for it, the in bios tools used to force wipe it.

but as for your steps, you'll want to flash, then clear cmos

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020

16. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Asus rog strix x570 f new bios 2608 new agesa

system seems more stable and i can set manual ram and fabric speeds timings now without the system freezing

for bios updates i do this ... reboot to bios, reset defaults, reboot bios, flash bios in ez flash (asus), reboot to bios, reset defaults agains and reboot back to bios to change settings

bios flash button on the back seems to take longer to install than going via bios setup

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Gigabyte is on top of their game. ;)

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    not really, only for top mb. my x470 must wait weeks again i bet LOL

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Idm about that but gigabyte is making probably the best boards atm. X570 aorus series tops the charts.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The in-bios defaults system is not adequate, all it does is write the old bios's known c_vars to defaults, it doesn't account for the new cvars, changed cvars and removed cvars once youre in the new bios.

clearing the nvram completely initializes to the new updates defaults, you can then use the load optimal defaults or w/e you like.

Once had a case of a user who's IGP was stuck in a code 43 state following a bios update, problem was the igp wasn't enabled in the bios at all,
    problem ended up being that the engineer did a half arse job with changes to igp power states and was loading incompatible cvars at different points of time causing the device to have partial enumeration, enough registers were set to see the device was present but the device was practically powered off.

If you find a setting is stuck or missing in the firmware for any device (routers too) its usually inconsistent cvar changes and purging all the settings is a must.