Rumor: Radeon RX 6000 Series as fast as a standard RTX 2080 Ti?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Yeah but there effort seems meaningless, they try everytime to compete but they just cant, and i have no clue why. If they can make fast cpu,s why not fast gpu,s ?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    They do compete, but just not in a way that captures the interest of enthusiasts. They have fast GPUs, the problem is they're only especially fast in specific scenarios and their Windows drivers leave much to be desired. In a hardware perspective, AMD proportionately seems to invest more in servers than gaming (compared to Nvidia). There is no one-size-fits-all approach but Nvidia is much closer to one than AMD. It seems to me RDNA was supposed to be a shift in this, where they seemed to give more attention to gamers.

I just wish they continued to evolve TeraScale2. That architecture was amazing. Despite its age, it still has competitive compute performance.

3. k0vasz

k0vasz Active Member

GPU:
    nV GTX1060 6G
    it's about the money. they're unable to pour money both into CPU and GPU business unit

4. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Gimme a cheaper alternative to nVidia and Im sold if its working properly, simple as that. Prefferably at the 400 USD range.

Also, I cant wait till the totally overused words "alleged" and "rumor" FINALLY get out of this page, its really a bit too much lately. For me this page is about the HW reviews, this craze about alleged rumors is really something I just want to end. My opinion only ofc. I know it generates traffic for this page and its a free advertisement for these HW companies, but really...

tunejunky likes this.

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    it's so odd that people seem to have forgotten the rule on assuming things.

1) this is a hot rumor, more so because of timing than anything else.
    we all know that the new home of "loose lips" is East Asia and there
    isn't enough "meat on the bones" for a good meal. just a snack.
    2) even if this is Big Navi (doubt it), AMD is giving Nvidia competition.
    we should all know AMD has a lower cost of manufacture than Nvidia
    with higher yields. this is an iron-ribbed fact. so a "3070" equivalent
    would be far less expensive than a "3070". that will bring tears of joy
    to many gamers with thinner wallets.
    3) Nvidia is awesome. i love them, but they are greedy and the fact is
    their market position is of a premium (i.e. Luxury) brand. remember
    the saying at the high-end boutique - "if you have to ask, you can't
    afford it". this allows them the dedication to massive dies because
    they will just tout it as a feature, not a bug.

alanm, Evildead666 and itpro like this.
  6. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this is not true.
    AMD is the investor's darling. they have sold a massive amount of stock (with a rising price) despite the market fluctuations.
    they rate a Buy when Intel is a Hold

itpro likes this.
  7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Used to be for years. Suddenly putting money on things won't make them leapfrog

8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    maybe they can pull a rabbit out of their hat for ray tracing performance

9. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    If they can match a 3070. Then I'm already happy, because that's the GPU I'm aiming at the moment, and this means I will have 2 options to pick.

Still, it's going to be bad for people aiming for a 3080 or 3090, because they won't have competition in those more expensive ladders.

But I also think that gpu past 600-700 USD are also more in a high end pc niche that doesn't affect most of the people.
    A range that is generally killed generation by generation with lower range product (just like it's happening with the 2080 ti).

PrMinisterGR and Undying like this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im in the same boat. Basically 3070 level of performance with more vram im happy. With finewine it will match 3080 in two years. :D

itpro likes this.

11. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    Yes. But let's hope this AMD card doesn't consume more than the 3070. I'm also aiming at the 3070 because of the power consumption. More than 250W is a no go for me.

3700 TGP is 220W. If AMD has more or less this TGP, and a bit more RAM, and same performance. Then I'll give it a shot.

tunejunky, itpro and Undying like this.
  12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    How do you know?

Which is understandable if your PSU sets the limit.

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Just did 2 builds with 5600XT's, didn't run over any driver issues with their latest release.

Evildead666, chispy, sykozis and 2 others like this.
  14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    What if i buy a 3090 and just keep my 1440p - 1080p monitors.

Yes i know it's overkill but that also means the card will hardly ever be stressed or hot and should last a longer time.

There are some of us who want best in class systems but not always to push them to the limit but under utilize them for many reasons. Like temps/noise/Wattage used.

Yes i can afford a beast of a machine but would use it in a very conservative way. Yea i would have some fun with it first doing benches and the like but then i would dial it down and hopefully use like 50% of it's power.

Mineria likes this.
  15. Ahmad Bilal

Ahmad Bilal Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon
    36CU RDNA2 GPU in Playstation 5 is about 10.29 TFLOPS (FP32)

By that estimate, 64CU RDNA2 would be 17.77 TFLOPS approx (FP32)
    and 80CU RDNA2 would be 22.22 TFLOPS approx (FP32)

3080 is 29.77 TFLOPS (FP32)
    3070 is 20.31 TFLOPS (FP32)

Based on that (assuming linear scaling) .. I can 'imagine' from where these rumours are coming.

Looks like another AMD flop show in terms of their claim of 'returning to High Performance Gaming'. But yeah the midrange, lower-range will be alright as long as it gives bulk of the people choice in that market. However what infuriates me (as a Vega card owner) .. is that AMD is failing to match Nvidia 3080 at least. 3090 indeed is bonkers .. but the former is not, given how many people bought 1080 and 2080 over the previous generations.

16. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    RTX2080Ti - 13,45TFlops (FP32)
    RTX3080 - 29,77 TFlops (FP32)

This would indicate the 3080 is over 2x the performance, but it isn't, not even close.(nVidia's own slides) RTX2xxx TFlops don't equal RTX3xxx TFlops.

80CU RDNA2 will be a monster - faster than 3080. And it will most likely clock higher than the PS5 part.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  17. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    These threads are damage to respected websites and should be closed. You give an annoying ego boost to 2080 TI people, believing they were and still are something. I can see their faces, smiling like trolls and feeling proud for nothing, like kings, meanwhile acting like AMD owners are peasants.

nikobellic and PrMinisterGR like this.
  18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The way Ampere and Navi are designed, I only expect fine wine from the NVIDIA side this time, as it's the only one that has the potential from extra utilisation.
    These TFlops require very specific conditions to happen. The other hardware of the cards hasn't changed much. Nvidia will probably extract more from them over time, but at the moment I would take only 67-75% of what you see there as direct comparison.

Any RDNA 2 GPU which is >80CUs will be a monster of a card. The question (as always) is the driver. If only AMD made things like forcing Vsync possible. Or like Nvidia has with Freesync, announcing you can enable Freesync for Gsync displays.

I have an LG C9 with Gsync.

19. Kohl Baas

Kohl Baas Guest

GPU:
    Vega 128
    No, it's a GPU (micro)architecture, just like Ampere or ZEN. It has set features which you can get or not. That's the customization you can get there. You can't put your hand into the architecture itself.

I know a digital journalist guy halfway in bed with AMD who like to talk about anything not NDA'd. Especially in a more deep toned conversation full of words "common people" won't understand. There was an argument back there after AMD won over all three of the consoles. Sony's moral of a fable after PS3's CELL was that no matter how good is the architecture if it's falling out at porting. Multiplatform titles were better quality on XBOX because it was easyer to port on that so they needed to keep the architecture as close to the PC's the games are developed on as they can. (The other moral for both consoles were that they don't want to have single configs out in the market for 8-10 years 'cause it muzzles the industry) As for integration, then that was in babyshoes so to speak. If MS and Sony wanted to jump on AMD now, it would've made sense, but then an Intel+nVidia combo would be very feasyble. The problem was what I've wrote. Neither Intel nor nVidia do custom desings on order the level AMD does. Intel does nothing, they're totally close. They sell what they have. Take it or leave it. nVidia is a bit more handy, you can choose custom solutiont they already designed and take that or license it and design your own. With AMD, you can tell what you want and they do all the work and ship the final product to you. That means all the chips in consoles are manufactured for AMD. That's why those are actual AMD sales instead of just license fees.

Don't mistake defending the clarity of the argument with defending AMD. Hype is a poisonous thing. Drive it over and it guarantees that the competitor will underachieve. I'm not waiting AMD to beat the 3090. Would be nice, but that category is just a showcase. What I want is decent porducts up until about 700$. More importantly at 200-400$ 'cause that's the thick of it. The 5700 was a damn good product in that range if only the drivers wouldn't s*ck...

edit: Tons of typos..

tunejunky and PieEyedPiper like this.
  20. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    Is it me or is it all saying DX11? How is this relevant?