New AMD Agesa Combo V2 1.0.8.1 update potentially improves latencies between CPU cores

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Netherwind and Maddness like this.
  2. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    AMD Fine Wine, CPU edition, now waiting for ASRock to release one for me too :)

Fediuld and angelgraves13 like this.
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Anyone tried flashing and seen improvements? Thinking about trying it out myself.

DeskStar likes this.
  4. magiQx

magiQx Active Member

GPU:
    vega 64
    yeah... tried the latest x570 taichi bios (v3.40) with "AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.0.8.0". My RAM xmp profile was unstable again. had to gradually revert back to v2.70 and now it's stable again. hope asrock will fix this.

Kool64 likes this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im gonna be trying gigabyte today. Its gonna be interesting to see does it improve latency on zen+.

6. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
    No real improvement for me and I’ve been running it for a week or 2, maybe 1-2ns or so but well within error of margin.

7. AlexM

AlexM Member

GPU:
    rtx 3080 Eagle OC
    I updated the Bios on my gigabyte 570x Aorus Elite mobo, but to be honest i dont see any improvements with my 3700x CPU. Still dose not reach the 4.4Ghz without PBO. The maximum boost is 4.35Ghz or for a fraction of a second 4.37Ghz.

8. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Hey Alex, welcome to Guru3d. And yeah, I'm on the same boat. 3700x with an x570 board, water cooled. I don't go anywhere near the 4.4 ceiling. The best I can do is a 4.3 boost with PBO turned on, but obviously it cannot be sustained. I think all core is 4.17 under sustained benchmark load.

At this point, I think the biggest wins on our platform that we can manually tune is RAM overclock.

9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Can i update my B550 (Gigabyte Elite) ? Any benchmarks?.

10. magiQx

magiQx Active Member

GPU:
    vega 64
    Hi, got the same CPU on an x570 (taichi) and water cooled as well. sometimes while gaming i see the frequency reaching 4.4GHz but only for some seconds and not continuously. Did not yet try to benchmark all cores to see the max frequency.
    unfortunately i had no luck with manually tuning my RAM and had to rely on XMP. Manually i could never reach the default ram specs (15-15-15-15 @3600MHz).

11. AlexM

AlexM Member

GPU:
    rtx 3080 Eagle OC
    Thank you for the warm welcome! :D Well, i have a G.skill 2x8Gb 3200mhz cl14 kit and i use XMP, it's enough for me :D

mentor07825 likes this.
  12. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    A member of our forum created a RAM Calculator that is extremely useful for tightening your performance of your RAM on an x570 chipset. I've yet to use it myself, I'm overall happy with my RAM on the XMP profile, but you do get an increase on your performance with the application's help. There are loads of YouTube videos out there that show how useful it is, particularly when RAM performance impacts your Infinity Fabric performance.

May be worth a gander if you're looking to squeeze more performance at no cost besides time spent.

13. blackguard

blackguard Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    Getting XMP instability with 1.0.8.1 on MSI x570 Unify. HWiNFO64 reports WHEA error. Event viewer shows correctable Bus/Interconnect Error, Event ID 19.
    I saw an identical report for an ASUS mobo the other day, so it's not limited to a specific manufacturer - which points to AGESA being the issue.

14. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    I used the new AGESA update on my B550i Aorus Pro AX (itx) motherboard.
    I have AMD Pro 4750G APU. Memory is G.Skill FlareX 2x 3200CL14 running with XMP1 profile.
    TSME enabled and before update the latency test in AIDA64 showed 80ns.
    TSME enabled and with new AGESA, the latency showed 65ns. Thats an significant difference. Scores in Cinebench improved around 40 points and gained 3fps in OpenCL test from 87-90fps (Cinebench R15).
    Turning TSME off improved the ns further to 60ns. TSME is ON only with Pro cpus.

GSDragoon likes this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats cache stage, not memory.

16. blackguard

blackguard Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    MSI claimed this AGESA improved memory OC headroom, and given reports of lowered inter-core latency, we're looking at Infinity Fabric changes.

17. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070

Had the same problem on my X570 Phantom Gaming 4. I was so bad that it was barely stable on the desktop.

magiQx likes this.
  18. magiQx

magiQx Active Member

GPU:
    vega 64
    exactly. first it started with artefacts on the screen, then with glitched sound and after that continuously reboots until the bios reverted to default.

19. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    FFS. I was reading this and wanted to know which version of AGESA BIOS I actually have now on my ASUS Hero VIII x570 - haven't upgraded for a long time. So I tried to run the "ASUS Update" app and it procreating well blue-screened the PC completely. Buggy POS.

20. willgart

willgart Member

GPU:
    nvidia
    with the EDC bug in place, my 3700X in PBO mode, can go up to 4425 single core (+25 from the max 4400) and boost all the cores to 4325 (sometimes 4350) which is the stable value I can manually setup but with a lot of heat, here no heat.
    if the new bios improve this even more... wow...