Question regarding picture quality

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Coolerking, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Hi all, hope you are all doing ok in this crazy moment in time.
    I have an i5 6600k, and a rx5700 xt pulse, on an samsung U28E590
    I know it doesn't support HDR, but its a 4k/60 monitor.
    I would like to know if I'm doing something wrong, when I'm watching F1, netflix, and such, many times the picture is crap.
    Just curious if anyone has any tips...As always , thanks and have a great day!

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
  3. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Thanks for the reply, I am using a DP cable, and I have no issues running games and such at 4k/60, not sure of the quality of it though, it says "Glowmark" on the wire if that helps.

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Is that what came with your monitor? I can only recommend a new cable, that's my advice.

5. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Not sure actually, I cant remember, but for $20-$30 I will certainly get a new one and see how it goes, thanks!

6. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Unless you're seeing some sort of snow/artifacts or lack of picture entirely due to the video connection not allowing a clean handshake between your computer and the display properly, changing a cable that sends a digital signal will not improve any other picture quality.

A digital video connection, like DVI, DisplayPort, or HDMI, either shows a picture or it doesn't.
    It isn't a loss-y signal like an analog video connection (VGA, Component, Composite, or S-Video).

Once you have determined the video connection is not the issue, i would try calibrating your display using these test images to see if it improves your confidence in the picture quality - LCD Monitor Test Images

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  7. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Check hz, check output. For example nvidia likes to set rbg to limited, windows display settings have also been odd at times..
    Remember first time i got connected my samsung 60inch to my pc, 6600k with then a 1080. Used HDMI.. Looked like crap, and choppy.. Had to tweak some settings, like the ones i suggested above. Check tv settings, black level, etc that can have a negative impact on image quality.

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Netflix doesnt support 4k on that cpu... netflix also reqruires your monitor to support HDCP 2.2 for 4k, which yours doesn't... so you are watching it in 1080p at most, which looks bad on a monitor that doesnt have a scaler... (unlike on tv's)

https://www.howtogeek.com/414080/how-to-watch-netflix-in-4k-on-your-windows-pc/
    https://www.displayninja.com/samsung-u28e590d-review/

And you obviously also need to pay for a 4k subscription to netflix to get 4k... if you only have the basic netflix subscription, you are only watching it in 480p...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Netflix cpu requirements are specific to intel IGP's being used, the rx 5700 supports playready 3.0, thus the cpu is irrelevant.

also basic plan is 720p, not 480.

10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I am quite certain that is incorrect, but it doesn't matter, as his monitor doesn't support HDCP 2.2.

Wrong.

[​IMG]

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    That's a new change then, 480p was not the basic plan when i subbed.