Crysis Remastered for PC gets a Can it Run Crysis graphics mode

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 8, 2020.

1. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    To me this looks good. This is a basic remaster, not a new coming of another Crysis. There is more detail, draw distance is way better, various effects are enchanced and the colour palette is nicer. I may not understand how a remaster of a game that sold poorly in the first place is a good idea, but at least it will be interesting game to add into benchmarks. The game itself was passable, not great, but definitely had it's moments with the open enviroment and the nanosuit. Price is tad too high though, for 20 € I might buy this as well just to fiddle with the graphics. I recall playing Crysis 1 on 8600 GTS, which was not enough for a smooth experience with decent settings. I hope Crytek is once more able to introduce a technically outstanding game, but not a Crysis title though.

PS. I don't understand the negativity towards Crytek since they are in the end pretty beneficial company for the PC scene. Blind hate?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    XenthorX likes this.
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Their games were never very well designed from a game mechanic/objective/quest/loop point of view, and technically...they had issues with Crysis, yet Far Cry didn't really have any major problems...they do come off as a tiny bit arrogant, when other companies have better games, and better graphics now...most studios are using either their own tech, or, off the shelf...not many people are using Cryengine as they used to...people have gotten wise to coding engines, shader languages, and the quantity of APIs available now versus 15 years ago is astonishing...

It's a litany of gripes people have, that I guess can some-days mold into one big fat dollop of 'meh' but mostly is just passive-aggressive 'meh' towards them.

They are famous for, in essence, creating a catch-phrase that highlights their incompetence and unwillingness to follow when they should follow, and lead when they should lead.

TalentX, XenthorX and Serotonin like this.
  3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Nothing about Crytek is beneficial for PC. in 2008 after their expansion for Crysis failed, they essentially started the "PC is for piracy" excuse that still plagues our platform. Rather than accept they simply made a bad game that like Unreal Tournament 3 at the time (when epic jumped on the PC is piracy train) sold poorly on consoles as well. Ignore console sales, focus on low PC sales, call out pc for piracy. Not to say piracy wasn't and still isn't an issue, but there's a certain amount of blame you have to take as a dev if your game isn't being purchased (especially when also not being purchased on console).

Crytek is a mess of a company that continually goes broke and has nothing beneficial to gaming but their engine itself.

Solfaur likes this.
  4. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    The game was fun for about half of it, with some extra work it could have been a classic.
    I enjoyed the 2nd game more and I hope we get to see that one remastered instead.

angelgraves13 likes this.

5. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Yes, the game also turned more linear once they showed up. Not that the human AI was that spectular either, I hope they have fixed the NK soldiers drowning even when their heads are above water.
    I think they ran out of development time and had to release the game.

I think Warhead as well as Crysis 2 improved on the AI quite a bit. You can tell that they didn't work as much on the some of the graphics because it also came to the consoles but it gives a much more spectacular feel of being inside a blockbuster Hollywood movie.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I liked the snow region even after the aliens appeared.

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I never even finished the game myself, I might do that sometime, I might not - but what I find interesting is that DICE and Crytek were both under consideration by EA to create a games engine that would be the de-facto publishing tech for EA studios around the time of BF2 and Crysis.

DICE got the job, and, oddly, was the wrong choice, as Cryengine is vastly superior (from a developer standpoint) than Frostbite. I don't even need citations for this statement, just ask the developers for Anthem :)

8. kbx1

kbx1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Palit GR
    To be honest I prefer the look of the original, with much more natural and realistic colors. Remaster will have better draw distance and probably much better textures (and some additional effects) but I dont like these reshade-like oversaturated colors.

9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I'll consider it for 10$ or less.

10. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Almost everything you just typed regarding the Crytek/CIG lawsuit is inaccurate. Crytek's lawsuit starting falling apart in 2017 and since then almost every claim has been dismissed or withdrawn by Crytek. To top it off, in January of this year, Something came up that clearly weakened Crytek's claims (it turned out that amazons lumberyard license covered use of Cryengine as well) and they quickly filed to dismiss the case.

11. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Not really. Almost every accusation by Crytek has turned out to be either completely made up or they simply had so little proof of anything (you know... contracts that validate their accusations), most everything has been tossed by the courts. The central piece of Crytek's lawsuit is the Game Licensing Agreement (GLA). That completely fell apart because apparently Crytek did not know is that the Lumberyard License also included rights to prior versions of CryEngine itself, rights which Amazon granted in order to minimize the engineering time it would take CIG to migrate to Lumberyard.

The uproar was primarily a very loud, vocal minority led by the biggest mouth of them all, the perpetually angry, failure of a game developer Derek Smart who has been on some psychotic crusade for years because even though his game sucked, and Wing Commander was far superior, he thinks that Roberts "stole his tunder" and has slandered and libeled Roberts for 5 years or so.The prick went as far as posting pictures of Robert's children and where his home is in West Los Angeles. F'ing wackjob. Then there are the people who have no desire to even buy the game but love to jump on bandwagons in order to hurt people/businesses. They're largely a bunch of losers who can't stand seeing anyone achieve great things. I think its called the tall poppy syndrome.

I'm sure there are people with valid complaints, i'm getting kinda sick of waiting as well. But i can only complain so much about time tables after the backers voted on two separate occasions to greatly expand the size and scope of the project.

12. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Maybe get original and use graphic mods, if you don't own it already.

Crysis Remastered is based on Xbox360/PS3 version of the game with enhanced graphics. Is not based on the PC version and that shows on multiple places especially physics.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Steady on. :p

Not being able to release a game onto the market, even in MVP form, in...has it been ten years yet?...is pretty bad.

And as always, I fondly look forward to the final reviews once the project has been completed and released onto the market for objective, critical appraisal by the media industry of the planet Earth.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Is this really gona be "exclusive" to epic store or timed?

This exclusivity store crap need to go away though.

15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I doubt you'd be upset if it was exclusive to Steam.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    No one would... it's a proven platform where the majority of pc players are located, developers get bonus points if they release on GOG also.

I guess Crytek needed the money after continuously suing Cloud Imperium Games and losing every time.

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Those are reasons why it makes sense to have exclusive games on other services. EGS doesn't have issues downloading and launching games from my experience.
    The only time it makes sense to get upset is when a game publisher initially promised a steam release, especially if it's crowd funded.