NVIDIA Announces GeForce RTX 3070, 3080 and 3090 (With Even More Shader processors)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yours is the only blanket statement, aimed at everyone.
    Embras comment was an alternative worth considering, not a directive.
    I didnt want to drag it out this far, I was pointing out where it might not be best to apply for many people.

2. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    It’s just a tiring nonstop merry-go-round of suggestions to wait whenever new cards are released.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I generally ignore the merry go round posts (unless there is something they missed or are amusing), they always happen.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I missed this,
    I coincidentally just plugged up a DP to DVI adapter today for a security camera monitor on my PC.
    It works very well, exactly as if plugged into an HDMI port.
    My monitor auto powers on/off as normal too if I enable/disable the display.

5. Jamethe80sman

Jamethe80sman Member

GPU:
    2060 Super
    I'mm saving for a 3080 I HOPE to god it's at least twice the power of my 2060 Super. If so I'm defo going full in...

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just the same as any other adapter

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Eww, dlss...

8. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Well, there are a lot of adapters that barely work at all let alone reliably.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    True, i guess i more mean just as well as any other decent working adapter haha

Dvi, hdmi and display port are all digital, so no converting of signals needed.

I'd suggest looking at reviews ofcourse before you purchase a cable, but i have never had any issues with any digital to digital adapter cables. ...but i have also never bought a cable that doesn't at least have 4 out of 5 star reviews on them lol

wrathloki likes this.
  10. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I’ve had problems with just straight HDMI cables with no adapter to it, and that includes 4+ star review monoprice cables which are supposed to be good. Can’t trust any kind of user reviews or brand anymore, it’s a nightmare.

11. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    You have a high-end (at that time) Maxwell GPU.
    These things (3080) should be roughly 3-4 times faster than what you have, plus the new features.
    For you and anyone still on 900 series, it's definitely a worthy upgrade, actually, it's going to be an amazing upgrade.

For me it would be a "nice" upgrade as well, more than twice faster than what I have ( 1080 ), so once the market stabilizes sometimes next year and they are readily available at MRSP (or lower), sure, I'll hit the CC. (But I have a strong feeling this time it will be a transition to AMD for me personally... and a doubling of VRAM)

But for those already on Pascal High-end (1080 Ti)... eeeeeh... I'm not so sure about it at this point. +60%'ish (or more at 4K) sounds like a nice upgrade, but not sure how many games will actually get that much. Talking here about people that actually care about their money (the large majority of people), not about those that just throw them away like it's nothing...

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  12. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    All 3090 buyers are gonna "spam" dlss usage and they will cry from being touched from it. Eww, not.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yeah wait some more... fuk that!

you order your GPU and you play some sweet games at max settings ; if asked you respond: a doctors order :D

Maddness and wrathloki like this.
  14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Interesting. Can't say i relate lol

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The difference is that a generation used to be a year... every single time, at prices that were affordable for many. Now it's an absolute minimum of 2 years at such insane prices that it's normal to keep cards for 4 years for those who can afford them. What used to be an upgrade every year, is now a giant once per 4 years event for a lot of people.

I don't need to explain why there's so much hype for this no doubt overrated (2x 2080 performance my asshole) upcoming 3080 with its borderline comical, and straight up miserly 10GB of "lol it's enough so STFU, even though we're charging you for triple what you get" RAM. The market is starved, badly, so badly that many are ready to pay $1500 USD for Jensen to laugh and take a diarrhea dump in their ears.

It's a huge gamble just buying a 3080 or 3090 ASAP. There's just not enough info available and won't be until at least Oct 28, to the point that it's not just illogical to not wait (unless you really need a card NOW), it borders on stupid.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020

16. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    It’s kind of a no brainer upgrade for a lot of us to get the 3080 or 3070. Not even remotely stupid if you’re running a 9 series or older. Still looking pretty good even for 10 series owners.

I agree that the 3090 doesn’t make sense for anyone that doesn’t have the kind of money where they could just throw $1500 away and not notice it.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    And what if fat Navi with 80CUs and 16GB RAM rolls around and is actually faster than 2x 5700XT in the real world making it probably faster than a 3090... at $550? Even if it's as fast as a 3080, that's still $150 USD less, and would be faster at 4K or under heavy texture load.

Or if the rumours of a 3080 Ti 20GB turn out to be true, which will no doubt be priced to actually sell unlike the 3090? Not waiting an extra few weeks is going to look pretty procreating stupid then considering most these people are going to sit on that card for half a decade. How long do you think a human lives? That's a long time to be stuck with an impulse buy.

18. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    AMD hasn’t beat a 80 card for a long time now. I don’t know why everyone is so convinced that this time is any different. Good buzz marketing by AMD I guess. Even if you’re looking at RAM Nvidia cards with lower RAM have beat out higher RAM AMD cards. It’s not all about the RAM.

I’d bet money that the 3080 ti is priced closer to the 2080 ti as well. Which is out of the range of a lot of people that are looking at the 3080.

19. The reviews embargo of GeForce Rtx 3080 has been delayed until 16th September 6am pacific time!

The Rtx 3070 will be available from the 15th October!

Source : Nvidia

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    AMD haven't marketed crap, in fact a lot of the criticism towards them is for their relative silence. Especially since, on paper, Fat Navi SHOULD be a monster unless something went horribly wrong or if the drivers have a bug.

Why am I cautiously optimistic this time?
    1 - The architecture of the upcoming Navi cards shares enough similarities with the previous Navi that the CUs are somewhat comparable... and they're faster in the new gen. The 5700XT had 40CUs, Big Chungus Navi has 80 of those faster CUs.

2 - The clocks are going to be higher on top of having 2x CUs which are faster to begin with.

3 - Big Navi has a ridonkulous, gargantuan, 128MB of L3 cache which no one knows of. This matters a lot, and it will affect real performance.

4 - Drivers are going to be more optimized on launch.

Faster CUs, double the CUs, faster clocks, insane 128MB mountain of L3 cache which has never been a thing before... combine that with rumours of a $600 USD price or even $550 USD, and the fact that logically AMD would want to at least be under the $700 USD tag of the 3080; that leads to a bit of hope.

If the Big Chungus Navi is a flop, or has an asshole price tag, I think this will be the most disappointed I'll ever be about a GPU launch.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020