steam keys

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Bond!JamesBond!, Sep 15, 2019.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I've used CDKeys without issue for a few years, including pre-orders.

When using these sites I think one aspect worth checking is does the site actually sell the keys themselves, like CDKeys or GMG for example, or do they just provide a marketplace for sellers, like G2A and Kinguin.

The former are readily more likely legit I think.

Also good point about PayPal above, I use PayPal exclusively when buying outside the official storefront (and often with the official store as well).

2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I saw a game or DLC on Steam that I was looking to get. Then I check SteamDB and it is like a bit cheaper!

So would G2A be good enough to try it? Or any other cdkey shop?

I checked all the ones listed in the second post and could only find it on 2 sites. Appreciate any advice.

3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Why don't all you cheap bastards just buy games like a normal person.

Noisiv likes this.
  4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Valken likes this.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Because we are cheap bastards?

Noisiv likes this.
  6. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Because as this very moment, it was like 1/3 to 1/4 of what it costs in another region vs my own so why would I pay more than another scrub in another country?! Why not just flat rate pricing?!

We're talking about BUYING games, not stealing it.

7. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Because of different economies. People in developing countries make far less money so to combat piracy publishers need to set lower prices in those countries. They barely make money on it, but a sale is better than no sale.
    Now if we all bought our keys meant for these markets, I wouldn't hold my breath for a sequel.

Then there's also the stories of keys bought with stolen credit cards that get undone by the banks and the developers end up having to pay a recharge fee so they actually lose money.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well if your'e doing it legit that's fine, but if you're pirating stuff then I consider those people scum.

9. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I mean, bypassing regional pricing isn't really legit. And in some cases as I mentioned it's actually worse than piracy because they cost developers money.

10. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I can afford my regions pricing but its that WTF factor when you see it for 1/4 of my regions costs! Plus money is a tight or could go full legit and wait another year until some crazy 80% off sale or eat RAMEN noodles for a week to scrunge up lunch money for it.

I checked and the lowest prices were from:

Gamivo - based in Malta
    G2A - based in Hong Kong China

Reviews are terrible... First one felt like slimy even though I do work with some IT companies in Malta and they are legit.

Wondering what the comments are on these 2 specific shops?

I checked cheapshark, cdkeys, gog, greenmangaming, even the store promoted here selling Windows keys since Hilbert says good things - great site but did not have the DLC I was interested in.

Noisiv and cerebus23 like this.

11. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Grey market stores, like g2a or kinguin are just marketplace for people selling their keys, they are not legit reseller in any way shape or form. People get these keys in various ways, many have them from some promotion or HW sells and such, but some do come from stolen CCs. I bought some games in the past like that and never had an issue, but if you search a bit on the internet you will find quite a lot of people having problems. Never heard of Gamivo, so can't help you here, but I would expect it to be exactly the same, since they all are.

Then there are legit resellers like GMG or humbebundle, who get keys from publisher. They are typically cheaper than steam because the discount they offer is paid from their commission. There is really no issue with these at all, but they also aren't as cheap as grey market resellers. Today I usually buy from these, because the small price difference isn't really worth it to me the potential hassle with stolen CC or revoked keys because they were bought with stolen CC.

As far as regional lock, you should definitely buy for either your region or global keys, otherwise you can have problems with activation. And if you bought the key from grey market, then good luck trying to return it.

coc likes this.
  12. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    i'm buying from Steam exclusively. grey markets are worse than piracy in my eyes for several reasons, but that's my own personal thoughts and morals on it.

jbscotchman likes this.
  13. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Now imagine having a salary that's 1/4 of what you're making now. Would you pay for games or go pirate?

Valken likes this.
  14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Anyone that pirates games and calls themselves a PC gamer is trash imo. The fact that guru3d doesn't condone piracy is rather disappointing.

Valken likes this.
  15. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    @ Amaze. I agree. I am knee deep in international trading. I understand "markets" and work with the entire supply chain from factory to consumer goods distribution.

But I also had my salary "adjusted" just to keep rent, lights and food on the table for the family due to economic hardships currently endured by everyone, including the company.

I'm a worker bee like most people so we get hit the hardest.

I will pay a fair price and game prices should also be adjusted accordingly even if we are not in the third world.

Another way to look at it is in a pure capitalistic view: Publishers can fix prices all they want and we consumers can buy from where ever we can. That is pure free market thinking.

I could have just gone the "other route" but still want to balance keeping developers afloat and being reasonable during this time.

I am sure a lot of forum members or their family or friends are going through this. Games just helps get away from that depression until the world recovers.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020

16. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Can't pass up the opportunity to quote this :D