ASUS outs ROG STRIX B550-A GAMINGwith Intel 2.5G LAN

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Intel are nice in lan... very compatible with everything too.

3. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    rl66 likes this.
  4. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    What's wrong with the realtek ones? It is a category i never paid much attention but i never really encounter any problems with realtek .... although by reputation alone if i am 50-50 on an offering and one has intel lan i would get the intel one, but my question is this ...what makes it better than the realtek one , was i just lucky to never get problems ?

5. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    - Realtek 8125 is running out of buffers if doing very intense UDP traffic and just freezes (followed by a driver reset and loss of connection)
    - (earlier?) Intel i225 versions are bugged and sometimes fails to see the link at all, or just loses connection for no reason

This generation of 2.5G chips is borked... hopefully in 2021 we'll have proper stable 2500Base-T NICs...
    I learned to deal with mine, but it's still annoying.

Oh, and 2.5G switches are still as rare as leprechauns...

rl66 likes this.
  6. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    Overheating?
    From https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comm...l?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
    "If the RTL8125 is dropping connection due to overheating it may be relatively easy to fix the issue by sticking a thermal pad on it. It’s on the back side of the B550I board under the back plate but it’s not touching it, there is an air gap."

GSDragoon likes this.
  7. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Unfortunately, that's not it.
    I actually have 4 devices using RTL8125, two are USB adapters and two are PCI-e cards manufactured by TP-Link (TXA073), which I bought straight from China (Aliexpress).
    They all have heatsinks.

[​IMG]

All suffer from similar problem problem, on any computer I tried them - They can't handle UDP properly (connectionless), not related to 2.5 gbps, even at lower speeds, if they are flooded with packets they "die" and get rebooted.
    In similar conditions, previous "normal" 1G cards simply start dropping packets, but they don't lose connection (or the device itself)

(The USB ones recover quickly, in as low as 2-3 seconds (similar to unplugging the cable and quickly plugging it back), the PCI-e ones however completely disappear from Device Manager for 10 seconds or more, and worse, they break VM guests, requiring a complete shutdown and reboot of the guest)

---
    My experience with these has caused me to hold off any purchases of B550 / X570 boards with 2.5G until knowing for sure that a certain model uses updated chips that don't suffer from this issue.

It's really nice to have that speed of 280+ MB/s copy through the network using ye olde Cat5e, but the unreliability is very annoying.
    Currently using the USB ones only (gave up on the PCI-e cards), as they recover quickly and don't interrupt my workflow.
    Also forcing certain software to use TCP instead of UDP makes them last a lot longer without this 2-3 second cycle happening.

Pictus likes this.
  8. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    That is bad!
    The chips probably have revisions, do you know if any are working ok?

9. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Not so far.
    Someone I know who bought one of the recent B550 models also experiences the problem. Also the internetz contain reports of problems, like that reddit thread you posted... but it's not the only one.
    So my guess the entire lineups released this year, from all OEMS, are suffering from it.

Maybe the Intel chip was fixed in this particular board in the title of this topic ? No clue.

But I think I might skip the "500" series completely and go straight to 600 when it's released, hopefully sometime next year.
    By that time PCIe 4.0 should be more common and actually make sense to switch to boards supporting it.

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Not only switch, every peripherical too, and i don't talk about the 10G... (also it take many year to pass from 10/100 to 1G despite it already exist...)

11. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    I have the Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS and have no problem, but my internet is slow and no 2.5Gb switch here.
    It got the Realtek RTL8125B
    https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/AMD-B550/doc/ASUS_B550_Full_Specs.pdf
    At https://www.overclock.net/threads/1440a-madness-z490-vrm-discussion-thread-v3-13-6-20.1746916/
    They mention that in the Realtek RTL8125B the package loss is fixed.