Yeah that GeForce RTX 3090 is one big dude

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 10, 2020.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    His picture is all over the net then.

2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Maybe it has expired, I’ve only just logged on. I’m not even sure of when it comes off.

3. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    One of the other unboxing reviews I saw said that NVidia stipulated that you could only unbox it. It could not be powered up yet, was this false?

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Man that is one big boy/Thick aka Thicc.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    angelgraves13 likes this.

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    The 3080 is the same way. Rear fan is blocked on top so it exhausts from the back of the case. Not sure about 3070.

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    That thing is HUGE!!! My case is relieved that i don´t have the money to buy a monster like that...

7. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Woah That Boy is Big!

Excited with the 3090. Able to sell my Two RTX 2080Ti's recently and went with 1050Ti while waiting. If the Price is High on 3090 I might buy only 1 for now and Add another down the road.

[​IMG]

8. ampVSamp

ampVSamp Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 TUF/24GB
    Hot damn, that IS a big boy.

9. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Got to be honest my initial replay was facious as my current card is vertical mounted anywway, so sticking this big boy in the case will make no difference... except it looks like a triple slot fit in which case it won't fit unless I remove my dedicated Wi-fi card.

Long story short this card looks like it not only has the length but it also has the girth and lets face it that's what everyone is looking for ;)

10. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    Anyone know if a 1.5 ton floor jack is enough to support that in my case? o_O She thicc af! :D Don't need the sag.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    So where are all of these Nvidiots bashing AMD for heat and power? Seriously, raise your hands.

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Does that apply when the cards something like more than twice as fast and still draws around the same power that Vega did?
    Navi's about 280 - 300w some of the third party designs go a bit silly with it and in comparison the 3080's 320w isn't that much more for a hefty performance boost using AMD's newest GPU.

Sure the GPU's consume a bit of power and it's a increase from the 2080 but it's also a near 60% performance gain from some of the benchmarks and looks to be consistently over 40% for the 2080Ti and those are from the 3080 with probably another 20% from the 3090 once reviews start appearing for that GPU.

At least AMD managed to get a bit more efficient with Navi but the performance increase from Vega was still not that big though it was also more of a mid-range card so it'll be interesting to see what the new version can do in ~November or so.
    (Power wise well it's a mid-range card and it drew more than the 2080 or 2080Ti while matching the 2070 but it's at least a good reduction over what Vega required but both also still have these higher peak wattage consumption moments / higher transients.)

This is certainly a bulky GPU though but the version here is the Founder edition with this alternate design for this bottom/top cooler method and PCB layout but performance and power consumption looks good for what it gets though perhaps not quite as efficient as the 2000 series was.

EDIT: Although there's also undervolting which works well for both Vega and Navi probably Polaris too but it's a bit more balanced far as I'm aware at least the 500 series.

Big drop in GPU core voltage, halving power draw and a performance decrease of 3 - 5% which yeah AMD tends to push these cards pretty close to their limits at stock ha ha.
    Still not a huge fan of that but AMD considers the GPU's to work within specification and users can fine tune it long as the software co-operates.
    (Also reduces the 80+ Celsius stock temperature on the GPU plus the junction temps for Navi near 90 or 100C by a good bit and silences the fans nicely.)

In short with some tuning AMD's GPU's actually become quite efficient over the stock settings for a generally very low performance decrease. :)

Once the reviews are up (Or more leak. ~ ) it'll be interesting to see what NVIDIA can do with Ampere here both GFE and maybe also Afterburner for overclocking or reducing power draw from what looks to be power draw slider going by the example image NVIDIA provided of the new version of GeForce experience. (Think there was also fan settings available and more.)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Maddness likes this.
  13. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yes?
    I don't know what this means :D

Maddness likes this.
  14. entr0cks

entr0cks Member Guru

GPU:
    GV-N660OC-2GD
    Excited for the Blender rendering performance charts.

15. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    When is the NDA over?!?

16. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    14th Sep.

DeskStar likes this.
  17. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    It would seem this go'round I might be going with some MICRO STAR INTERNATIONAL! Even though I don't care for their customer service and all it would seem they're the ones to offer up their 3090's with triple eight pin power connectors!

I want power and always have and unless EVGA gets off their hands and mentions more of their kingpin variant I still have my eyes on something for sure.

Just don't want to buy another block just for the kingpin for it's aio. Wish they'd offer both versions for sale.

18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Asus are doing triple 8 pin on their 3090 strix aswell, and the strix cooler is looking beefier than then gaming x cooler this time around :)

DeskStar likes this.
  19. fekter

fekter Guest

GPU:
    Asus RX 580
    upload_2020-9-11_14-45-23.jpeg
    Big it is! :)

20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Lol. I like the power box meme that is funny.