GTX 1650 and windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Nino, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Nino

Nino Guest

GPU:
    Gtx1650
    Hi,
    I got my hands on a used GTX 1650 for free and was thinking about upgrading my PC (it runs under windows 8.1). After looking a bit for drivers I realized windows 8.1 is not supported. Is it worth trying installing the win7 driver or should I give give up?

Thanks in advance

2. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Upgrade to Windows 10. Is there a reason why you're still staying on Windows 8.1?

evgenim and Mda400 like this.
  3. Nino

Nino Guest

GPU:
    Gtx1650
    Thanks for the quick feedback!:)
    I don't mind windows 8.1. My PC is quite stable and I haven't felt the urge to move to Windows 10 so far. Given my laziness,I was just wondering if Win7 drivers would be a quick and dirty solution or not (not compatible)...:)

4. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    It is possible, but would not advise.

Windows 8.x was a tablet-enhanced OS and Windows 10 is what Windows 8.x should have been.

You have support/updates for Win 8.1 until January 2023, but who knows how long the Windows 10 free upgrade using the Media Creation Tool (choosing Upgrade This PC) will last.

With a GTX 1650 on Windows 10, you will have the latest driver updates that include the latest fixes for your applications as well as the ability to use Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling and DirectX Ray Tracing (although very slow in performance).

Nino and Blackfyre like this.

5. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Sorry maybe someone else can help in that case, I am not sure if there's modded drivers for Windows 8.1

That's fine if you're happy with it. It's just very easy to upgrade these days using the official tool from Microsoft, and you'll get better optimisations, performance, and security updates. You can leave it overnight and wake up to a new Windows experience. Just backup important documents, etc before doing the upgrade.

Nino likes this.
  6. Nino

Nino Guest

GPU:
    Gtx1650
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion Blackfyre. I will dig a bit more on the Win7 drivers on Win8.1 option.

But as you and Mda400 suggested, I guess it make sense to move to windows 10 in the long term.

7. Nino

Nino Guest

GPU:
    Gtx1650
    Thanks a lot for the answer Mda400,
    It makes sense to move to Windows 10 at some point. Still, I would like to check the GPU on Win8.1. Any suggestion about the driver I should use?

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    all windows 7 drivers work on 8.1

Nino likes this.
  9. Nino

Nino Guest

GPU:
    Gtx1650
    Thanks a lot Astyanax. I'll give it a try.