AMD Zen3 on October 8th Radeon RX 6000 coming October 28th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 9, 2020.

1. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    If ever want better performance in 7zip or 3dmark i'll be sure to give it a try...

2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Now we have some definite dates...good for AMD. We'll finally be rid of the speculators suggesting that simply because AMD hasn't formally announced Zen 3 and RDNA2 by now that they won't be shipping in 2020. That's a relief.

I'm glad that nVidia was able to announce its 3000-series products, glad they hope to be shipping some of them in a few weeks. But aside from RDNA2 GPUs for PCs, AMD is also shipping this year major new gaming consoles from Microsoft and Sony, as well as a major new CPU architecture, Zen 3. I am sure that AMD atm is burning the midnight oil with every pedal pressing hard against the metal...;)

Maddness and mohiuddin like this.
  3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    The point is that you cannot make such claims before the product actually launches (or the launch date comes around, anyway).

And how do you actually judge that, anyway? Popular products sell out, and all we get is anecdotal evidence from forum dwellers. Is it a paper launch when two people can't get one? How do you count those that did get one?

When I manage to buy a 3080 without a huge issue, will it be a paper launch? Not to me, anyway.

4. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    I'm getting my pc build money in November so this is great news for me lol, still feeling impatient though because I really hope AMD can have something similar to the 3070 but with 16GB then they'll get my money instead of Nvidia

5. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    I hope AMD do well with both <3
    Look forward to see the performance of the ZEN3 12core (4900X?) if price is same or at least close to same as 3900X^^

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The problem here (well where I live) the XT versions hiked prices so Zen 3 will sit on top of them. That means the 4900X is most likely going to be £100 or more than the 3900X here which is too much.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD has 20% of current sales. That speaks miles about mindshare. Speculations around 3080 and crypto speak a lot too... about probability that AMD's cards will be targeted by crypto-minors.

For normal crowd, nVidia sells 4 GPUs per one AMD's. Chance that nVidia will face shortage is likely 10 times as high as that of AMD's.

It would be better if AMD delivered parameters of cards, prices. We could pre-order and then 2 days later, they would show real world performance and feature changes.
    (Miners will not order 50 rabbits in the bag.)
    Or AMD should not talk about compute performance and leave that for reviewers. In the end, it is RDNA, not CDNA and they are selling them as gaming graphics cards.

Maddness likes this.
  8. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    No, they're not.

Even ignoring actual availability of Nvidia's 3000 series cards the people who can't wait 1-2 months for proper comparisons before putting down $500+ for a GPU were never going to buy an AMD card anyway.

They just like to rant about it.

Richard Nutman likes this.
  9. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    U noticed that asteroid that went nearby(like 5k km) near earth lately? I not. NASA either...hope I will see some AMD new products that can catch my attention...

10. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    Where I live it is all about buying within the first days it is available, usually one or two shops is cheaper than the others.
    After a week or two they tend to have same price all over. Saved some money that way before hopefully I can do same again^^

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    No one can make those claims, but insiders leaks information and the information coming out is that stock levels will be very low on all fronts. Obviously covid hasn't helped matters. But things should pick back up from beginning of next year.

Its a paper launch when the stock levels at launch are so bad that only around 20% of your customers can actually get the product. Its all prediction at this point but mark my words if you manage to get a 3080 at launch you are one of the lucky ones as it will go out of stock and retail prices will rise as stock levels remain low. I expect to see 3090's going for 2k+ on ebay within the first month or so. Again its a prediction based on evidence given by the leaks.

12. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    For a lot of launch now we have statement from partner retailer ( usually the only one with supplies on day 1) about supplies issue, we know for example the 3950x was mostly a paper launch (in Europe at least) with minimal supplies, we had to wait around 1 weeks to get a second much bigger (but still limited) batch.

13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Do you guys think Zen3 will follow suit. I mean AMD could make the 4600X a 8 core 16 thread and the 4700X a 10 or 12 core.

Maddness likes this.
  14. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I'm down for intels next desktop i9 as I could enable pcie4 on my Mobo.
    Familiarity keeps me with intel, but I do thank AMD for kicking intels butt the last wee while.

15. Extra-Mint

Extra-Mint Guest

GPU:
    Armour GTX 1070Ti
    That 10c/20t really interests me. But I'll probably end up getting an 8c/16t single CCD to replace my current 2600. Now with the frequency curve we can do wonders. Raise boost clock and base clock = profit. All core overclocking should be obsolete with Zen 3 as we will have each core overclocking capabilities.

olymind1 likes this.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    A refresh of Zen3 and the 600 series motherboards perhaps but I would assume Zen4 and the next AM5 socket to be the bigger divider and new start to new hardware features like DDR5 and what else can be added on and then Zen5+ or Zen6 to refine and improve on the support since the early versions tend to be less impressive and a bit prone to some issues and what not plus the expectations on what some decent DDR5 modules could cost and what the initial supported speeds including overclocking/XMP will be for both AMD's and Intel's initial support for this. :D

RDNA2 I hope can impress and surprise but I'd be impressed if it matches the 3080 at a little bit better cost maybe in-between that and the 3070 depending on how it's scaling with it's cores, clock speeds and what else AMD has here for this GPU now that RDNA is supposedly showing what it can really do.

Exceeding the 3080 would be nice for the highest-end RDNA2 GPU too but I'm not sure if that's possible but it'd be nice to have AMD and NVIDIA's "flagship" tier cards going at it again with the 3090 as a extreme bit of tech for a smaller enthusiast segment.
    (Well the 3080's already at a pretty close price point for that with the 3070 positioned as more of a high-end gaming GPU choice until the 3060 comes out for the mid-range market or what it will aim for.)

Anticipation action from NVIDIA I would guess is the holes in-between the 3070, 3080 and 3090 pricing levels for the Ti models which is something I do expect they'll be doing but it remains to be seen when and what these will add over the existing 3070 and 3080 probably less of a chance for a bigger Titan-Titan 3090 ( :p Since it's already supposed to be a Titan type GPU model.) but jamming even more VRAM into it and clocking it further could be a thing why not.

AMD doesn't have this new high-speed GDDR6X stuff either so there's a chance the memory could yet again be a bit of a GPU performance bottleneck and I don't expect dual memory controllers although a RDNA2 refresh or spin off into HBM could happen but might skew the pricing a bit making them harder to price/performance match against competing NVIDIA products.
    (Bit like Vega and even Navi after the initial launch pricing and shipments though less problematic than Vega and the mining boom that had to deal with.)

EDIT: Going to be interesting to see how things go, NVIDIA also has a bit of time prepping launch here and getting a secondary batch of GPU's or possibly a third out if the initial stock is going to be a bit .. gone .. after a day or so of availability due to demand even before Mining 2.0 starts up because that's going to be really fun if that's true. Or not.

Get the drivers right this time too whatever is going on with this that's something as well for AMD's issues and even recommending Navi / Navi2 over NVIDIA but that's also something we'll just have to wait and see how that goes.

Fender178 likes this.
  17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    FFS, I was hoping to have an upgrade already. Oct 28, sigh, I really hope that rumour of $550 USD for the 80CU 16GB Navi comes true. Seriously doubt it though. Knowing AMD it'll be slower than the 3080 and they'll price it at $100 more.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I dont remember the last time amd card was priced higher than nvidia. If nothing 3080 will be priced 100$ more with less vram and similar performance. We also know you never gonna buy amd card with all the bitching from you so why wait?

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    One too many bottles there bud? Sounds like you have me mixed up with someone else. Also you can not visit tech forums if that's bitching to you, normal human beings call it discussion most the time considering that post was the worst of the worst I've done in a long time and it still was relatively nothing, yet it was enough to rustle your jimmies.

I've never favoured one over the other, I'm not dumb enough to have loyalties to giant company. What I'm butthurt about is the lack of competition and nVidia doing whatever the hell they want with pricing.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no