Microsoft Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S Pricing and Availability Revealed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    itpro likes this.
  2. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Off topic. If you consider that outrageous price for the weak console (299$), you can easily speculate that its custom nvme expansion card will cost at least the same. Which is really close to the price of 970 pro m2 1tb. I want to see console fans giving 1k$ for xbox series x and two expansion cards.

3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    That's a reasonable price for the XSX, i'm glad they didn't try to go for the 599$.

4. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    "weak console".

[​IMG]

itpro likes this.

5. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    The S is gonna be the big seller - it's cheap, it's compact, it still plays all the games. Why would a parent spend $200 more on an X for their kids bedroom? Will probably steal PS5 sales too unless the PS5 is very close in price as it's the cheapest next gen console.

6. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Ubisoft press release just came out:

Fox2232 and itpro like this.
  7. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    That silence about pricing for expansion hurts both PS5 and XBOX. I believe Microsoft is selling the internal storage of those new consoles at a loss but Seagate is creating these expansion cards, I do not think that they are willing to lose money, too.

They are already selling older tech game ready SSD drives 512gb and 1tb at 120$ and 180$ respectively. Yes, those old usb 3.0 ones. So, 300$ is just about right, I cannot see those 1tb cards lower than this. It's terrifying. You can take a whole XSS.

8. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What i don't understand is why everyone is scared of these prices? People are happy to pay 600-1200 for a phone every 2 years (yes normally paid monthly) which Microsoft are also trying out.

Consoles are always so dirt cheap for what you get

Well Sony have said you can use Third party ones, they just need to be PCIE 4 gen by looks of it, and can also use a hard drive for ps4 games.

Xbox yeah I'm not a fan of them selling the only made expansion slots, Didn't like it with the VITA, didn't like it back on the ps2 and certainly don't like it now.

Nintendo do the same thing with SD cards which sell stupid amounts based on Amazon top sellers, which are often slower SD cards for more money. They currently sell a Sandisk for 60 quid, down from 78 on a sale for a 256gb SD card, I bought a sandisk non-nintendo brand one for 60 for 400gb a couple years back. This might hurt sales, and it might be needed for a Xbox series S, that 512gb is small

Silva likes this.
  9. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    Excellent prices imo. Well done M$. If one wants TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES (and actually likes it), consoles are good options.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The prices are great. In the US you can also finance the devices via GamePass.

They give GamePass Ultimate (which includes Live, I believe) and EA Access for 35$ per month for two years.

It is possibly the gaming platform with the lowest barrier to entry ever, and a ton of games to play from the get go.

If Sony didn't have the exclusives, the PS5 would be in really serious trouble. This won't be a repeat of the Xbox One. This looks like Microsoft's entry gaming "PC".

XenthorX likes this.

11. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Most countries have "slow" download speed. I am sceptic about the low space. It is like pc, but at least pc has all perfect features in also hdd. Xbox needs special SSD for velocity/direct storage architecture.

I wish they just could allow us to play Xbox series enhanced titles with hdd. It should be my choice which games I need slow load or fast. I could calculate and put slower loaded games in SSD and faster ones in hdd. Whether they are enhanced or not.

12. CRUBINO

CRUBINO Guest

GPU:
    Zotac Geforce GTX1080 FE
    nah, on next-gen gaming we don't need that weak and slow hdd anymore! :D

13. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    We need life and fantasy. I am not one of those who own and play only one, two, three or four games. E.g. Modern Warfare, minecraft, overwatch and fortnite. I respect game devs and my brain.

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well, i have to admit that i was completly wrong, i thought the console was going to be much more expensive than this. 500€ for this kind of hardware is basically a steal!

15. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    For PS5, you'll need a standard M.2 NVMe 4.0 SSD that reaches the read/write speeds required by the PS5 (which basically only the newer high-end SSDs do). For the Xbox, you'll sadly need a proprietary module which will allow Microsoft to dictate pricing (although there is a tiny chance that this may be a good thing and more affordable than a standard NVMe SSD, I wouldn't hold my breath), although I wouldn't discard the chance that a third party manufacturer creates a module where you can simply pop in a regular M.2 NVMe SSD down the line (and you'd likely only need a PCIe 3.0 NVMe drive for the XBox anyway).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    itpro likes this.

16. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I think you can't beat the Xbox series S anytime soon. 200 usd can get you a couple of games wile you would only benefit from the X if you have a 4K TV (mine is still a 32'' HD TV, yes 720p).

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    The series S has a much lower clocked GPU than it's bigger brother. Will that be a weakness?

18. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    Despite of good prices, I'm concerned about online multiplayer, cause consoles are historically much less "pay to win", and it should stay that way. I really hope that XB SX owners don't have any advantage when playing online.

19. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Not really, as the Series S is meant to render at lower resolutions than the Series X and just upscale to 4k or whatever.

20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Rumours that some developers are less than keen on the S version. Perhaps because twice the work needed to get games running well.