Hold your breath: GeForce RTX 3080 Might Become Hard to get - Cryptocurrency Miners Again

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Here is the thing though Nvidia is not allowing for pre-orders for any of the 3000 series cards. I also call BS as well I am thinking the reason for the limited supply of cards is due to COVID and not the stupid miners.

2. half_empty_soul

half_empty_soul Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 ti
    don't care! i will be waiting for 3080 super 20gb version anyway

bobblunderton and mbk1969 like this.
  3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thankfully I am more looking at getting a 3090, which due to the price would be a poor performance card for mining. so hopefully won't get this issue, that said the UK is normally alright when it comes to this stuff less miners here

4. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    yeah amazing.
    miners dont care about the impact they do on co2 levels so long as their account has more cash. Its such an unethical thing to do , burning energy without producing anything of substance that might be useful.Its scum who do this mining.

5. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    It is "The Return of Power Grid Parasites" , inflating everyone's life! Social individualism stinks!

Dragam1337 likes this.
  6. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Hopefully. However, why is there no shrink-wrap on the boxes on these pictures and seal stickers on some replaced with sloppily applied clear tape? Also, the other images where multiple 3xxx cards appear to be in use on a "farm" most certainly shouldn't be that of retailers (unless some scummy retailers use the cards for crypto mining until release date, then put them back into boxes and sell them as "new"...). So I don't know. Who knows, though, the images could be fake anyway.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yeah noticed that, but thought the cards in the farm might not necessarily be 3080s.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    F****, not this s**** again...

Maddness and Undying like this.
  9. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    The cards on the picture in the "farm" are either 3080s or 3090s, judging from the coolers used (inno3D's 2xxx Series didn't use these coolers). 3070 could be a possibility, although inno3d hasn't released any images of the cards so far. But the 3070 release is too far out, I doubt there is any stock on them anywhere. It's also possible that there 3090 stock isn't available either and the 3090's price/performance ratio compared to 2x 3080s may also be undesirable for miners (although the actual power consumption could play into it, so that isn't certain), so the 3080 is certainly the most likely card seen on the image.
    Then again, let's hope it's just some sort of inno3d test bench.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The secret reason why Nvidia releases a 3090 with worse price / performance ratio than the 3080: so true fans can get a card because miners won't buy it.

Of course, this is satire.

Maddness and H83 like this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well... at least we don't have to worry about this affecting GDDR6 prices too much, seeing as Nvidia didn't include much to begin with.

It would have to be a special place because miners are too used to the heat they surround themselves in every day. The fiery pits just ain't gonna cut it.

Maddness and Dragam1337 like this.
  12. Reverb256

Reverb256 Guest

GPU:
    5700 flashed to XT
    Miner here, can confirm.

But what if RDNA2 turns to to be as good or better?

13. maddoggt

maddoggt Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS 576/1350/1800
    Who uses crypto? You cant buy anything with it, nothing is sold priced with it, you cant exchange it anywhere far as I know, and there are no machines that use it anywhere I can see withing thousands of miles. So why waste money on power to mine something thats basically useless?

14. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    Cool Beans
    3070 is faster then 2080ti but you cant find one :p or it cost more then current 2080ti :rolleyes:

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Make the 3000 series exclusive to US and EU for 10 years.

16. Aaron123

Aaron123 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070
    Great...

17. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Not rushing out to replace the 2070 Super until I can get my hands on a reasonably priced 16~20gb model (yes I need more VRAM here, 8gb for 4k graphics scaled to 1080p model design - so that I can still SEE - is apparently NOT enough).
    The 2070 Super cost way too much - 572$ shipped for an EVGA 'Gaming' Black model, no fancy overclock, but with a good cooler and from what I can see, solid VRM solution - but I had to buy it on December 2nd or 3rd of last year due to my RX 480 8gb driver issues going for broke.
    If miners come in and eat up all the cards, well then there won't be gaming market penetration like is needed for new features of 3xxx to be added in to games - heck Turing only got some 6~8% of Steam market-share IF that. Not enough to get the new features in games. Certainly didn't sell like hotcakes like 1060's and 1070's did. So you're looking at a sub-10% market share of dedicated gamers - a small percent of the PC population out there to begin with - to market these new features to where most people don't have this. Most people still have a 1060/1660/1650 Super/1050/1070&Ti currently as-of Steam surveys (that's only a small percent of the entire market, however, it's about as good of an example as I have access to right now, card popularity is mostly listed in-order but isn't perfect).
    So it would behoove Nvidia to sell to gamers, if their features are to have weight or value to the rest of the folks out there for marketing reasons. Selling a ton of cards to miners DOES bring company income/revenue, however, if the features they have are worthless (due to little to no market penetration), only gamers buying cards to replace out-of-warranty failed cards will be buying them - well them and people with more money than sense.
    I'd imagine the mining bubble would be satiated quite quickly to be honest and not last as long as last time - but that's hazarding a guess at best.
    Just don't go panic buying like people like to do - TP crisis due to cold going around for example - and cause a worse supply issue than would normally occur.

Yields won't be the best due to who's making the process (hint: it's not TSMC), so that is the main thing limiting supply. Slow but steady is all that matters.

18. jarablue

jarablue Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4080 Black
    What a sad joke. Money. It's what the world runs on. So many with so much, doing nothing. So many with so little, doing everything.

sykozis likes this.
  19. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    There'll be more than enough for everyone, remember how many different cards the AIBs all have to release, would be a shame if prices rose a bit though.
    The price performance reveal surely sent shockwaves, great time for 2nd hand cards, and new gen ones too.:p

20. liweichen6

liweichen6 Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    Well they appear to be INNO3D testing new cards.
    be9a206a-5be3-4838-bdd6-9c58126d602a.jpg 0c1d4510-7f97-4d23-872d-8a3ff7b737f4.jpg