Review: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt PSU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    well, since they are "tryhard" they could have made a prettier main power switch, this one has been around for 30 years. I mean, since they are already changing things that work fine for no other reason except to look different...

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Two of these at full power would send my main power switch to oblivion in a couple of seconds.
    Crazy to think there's demand for these kind of crazy capacity PSU.

4. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    that's ~6.5A per PSU (@220V) 15A fuse is plenty for 3000W. In 110V countries it's more (~13.6 Amps so, 30A Fuse for 3000W )

I have 3 split system ACs in the house, each one is >1500W, zero issues...

5. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    Nice to see some design on a power supply, appart from some high grade corsair psu's there is not that much of an eye candy on the psu world.

6. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Great looking PSU, shame only one 12V 8 pin CPU connector though.

Would be awesome on a dual CPU setup otherwise.

7. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn Give a shout when they release high end 500-800W PSU's,please :)
    These kilowatt monsters seem as useful as Topgear reviews of supercars. We all revel at the power, but 95% can't afford them,use them, let alone justify them. ^^

Silva likes this.
  8. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    This or AX1600i?

rl66 likes this.
  9. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    I own an AX1600i, for me it's about being able to push my 10700K/1080 Ti to the max without the fan even kicking on.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I guess one of the benefits of an overkill PSU :D.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    This should be more silent on the long time and less expensive in most country (*edit* the corsair is over 100 Euro more here)... Also both are good, there is no "bad" choise.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well, it wouldn't be 3000W, because a PSU's wattage is measured in its output, not input. So if you had something like an 85% efficient PSU, that means you could more realistically get by with 2500W. Then you have to account for other things like a monitor, or whatever else may be attached to the same fuse. So, maxing out a pair of these PSUs on a 220V@15A circuit could actually trigger a trip.

13. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    the formula is the same, watts/volts from the grid = Amperes. I also left enough of power in the calculation but you can always get a higher rated fuse, they are not that expensive. If you look at your fuse box, you are likely to find none of the fuses is bellow 10 amps.If you calculate your kitchen appliances you will see that 1500W is literally nothing.
    Monitor? That's 50W tops for 30"
    PS. I ran 2 mining rigs with 7 rx580 in each, 1200W PSU in for each, from the same socket in the wall, no issues. 20A fuse.
    You are needlessly paranoid :) Just check the fuses first, and if you have to, use different sockets in the wall that go to two different fuses, not a problem really.

14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I would never share the same socket for my system. I learnt that the hard way.

What i mean is that where my PC is placed i only have 2 plug sockets. The PC always gets it's very own plug socket because i once had it in a 4 plug extension and one of the other devices died and it took my PC with it. Lucky only a HDD was popped.

So now the PSU gets it's very own socket and the other socket has a 4 plug extension for monitors, router and the wireless house phone.

I think it's a very bad idea in the first place to mix the PC in with other devices. As for the PSU it looks very nice but i'm ordering an 850w Seasonic TX for my next build with 3080 and AMD 4700X cpu. Hopefully it only uses around 300-350w @ the wall.

15. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    These type of power supplies are bought by people who just like willy waving, complete waste of time.

Better spending that sort of money on a 3070 or zen3 when it comes out

16. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    It's a silence thing. With something like this or the AX1600i, you can push a CPU/GPU to the max without stressing the PSU enough for the fan to come on.

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Sometime it is not, i had many PC that needed more than this one... (in this case you pair 2 PSU to fill the need), some need 300W some need over 1000W, there is no "one PSU for all".

18. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    You can, but you will get unstability very fast or lost of some line at full over-load (wich is bad for hardware)...
    Pushing PSU cause too much unstability, it's better to stay in their idle zone.

19. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's a mainstream PSU... Don't expect too much too lol.
    Corsair, FSP and some more have dual 8 pin CPU out of the box in this price range, and there is also PCIe to CPU adaptator (used some on quad CPU... it work) or cable modding (the most inexpensive solution if you know what you are doing).

20. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    When my system is at idle, the only thing I hear is the crap stock coolermaster cooler from my Ryzen 2600. At full load, the only thing I hear is my RX580.
    My 650W PSU fan is always on but I can't hear anything from it, you're just entering placebo territory. If you can afford it and make your ponies happy, go for it. In reality, 1000W PSU would still be overkill for you.

Chess likes this.