Gaming Butter Smooth

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Open Adrenaline Software
    Click on the Gear Icon in the upper right corner
    Go To Graphics Option
    Enable Chill and set Min/Max to 2-3 fps lower then your monitor refresh rate
    Max out all or nearly all IQ settings in your game. No need to max out AA.
    Enable Adrenaline OSD to make sure your FPS cap is set correctly in game. Disable in game framerate caps.
    Adjust Resolution as needed to reach your Monitor's Refresh Rate.
    Enjoy Butter Smooth game play

For me in MW2019 I can crank everything on Max IQ. The point is to make the game GPU limited and remove any CPU bottlenecks in the game.

Pictus, reslore, gabsvm and 1 other person like this.
  2. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    This could help with my setup (i7 2600 - RX 580). Why capping 2 or 3 below refresh rate? Is better than capping at native? I have a 60 hz panel.

3. Jellis

Jellis Member

GPU:
    AMD Rx 5700 xt 8gb
    care to elaborate why you think being gpu bottlenecked is better for smooth gameplay? everything i have read says that being cpu bottlnecked is better because, your gpu is free to render frames as soon as they are queded up from the cpu. Which should give you better latency, 1% and 0.1% lows resulting in "smoother gameplay".

4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    It's just to make sure you don't experience any tearing. If you test at full native and don't see any tearing by all means use full native.

I followed the instructions for MW2019 from Adrenaline Advisor. Which now says excellent. I can up the resolution scaling from 100% to 110% for example.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    That hitching every 1/3 to 1/2 second should look glorious for a perfect butter smooth experience.

AlleyViper likes this.
  6. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    Good, gonna try it them :D i need to switch on Upgrade Advisor for those tips?

7. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Correct

8. Lipici

Lipici Member

GPU:
    I can confirm for horizon zero dawn. Zero sttutering now vs before when the game was unplayable. ( Freesync plus 60 fps limit from game -previous settings )
    Only change i made i deactivated freesync because amd is amd and screen is flickerying.

Needs sticky.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  9. exmodel

exmodel Member

GPU:
    MSI RX570 8GB
    This is basically just describing the recommended settings for freesync enabled monitors and doesn't apply to everyone. I'm personally not a fan of my monitor's freesync and prefer the strobing backlight option for better image clarity, and I can only have one enabled. Maxing out all graphical settings isn't really required or recommended if you aren't running a high end card. Also, capping your fps via drivers instead of in-game results in slightly more input lag if that's important to you.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  10. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Actually, I've found it to be better if you are more gpu limited. Which is why I suggested it.
    Also, for some reason games like MW2019 have broken framerate limiter that doesn't work at all. It's been broken sense release. People have asked for this to be fixed resulting in them getting banned. To this day they refused to fix it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

I recorded this for another reason but I still had freesync enabled.

OnnA likes this.
  12. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz Guest

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    This is what I've been doing in all games for a while. The below vid explains in detail what's going on and compares to RTSS

Not sure maxing your GFX to 100% is a good idea though, under the belief you need some headroom, this vid covers this (love this guy)