NVIDIA Announces GeForce RTX 3070, 3080 and 3090 (With Even More Shader processors)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Cool idea :)
    Still have the Z370-I as I want to build a second system. Maybe when settle back again grab a second hand 9900K and have it with the 5700XT on the back room for when friends stay at home to have something.

Unfortunately cannot use mITX boards on my main system any more as I am doing ML programming and using multiple cards which AMD supports nicely on Linux having RVII doing ML and using the 5700XT at same time while gaming. (I refuse to use NV proprietary sht on Linux)

2. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Because of common sense :p

3. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Common sense also says that if you keep waiting to see how good the next thing is you’ll be waiting forever.

In any case all I asked was if we can expect reviews before release and you had to get on my case about RDNA2. I was already aware of RDNA2 and I made my decision that I want to upgrade now. I don’t need you getting on my case about it.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Regardless of how RDNA2 turns out, imo always good policy to be patient and not jump too early on a newly launched GPU purchase. Wait a few weeks and get a good sense of all the options available and which models are better or worse than others. Not to mention unexpected technical faults that may appear on certain SKUs (like the 2080ti space invaders artifacts).

A good 3 or 4 months after a launch is usually a good time to buy. Also prices should have stabilized by then. You may have a hard time buying Ampere early on as everyone and their mother will want it. And only Nvidia store will list them at MSRP but will likely be out of stock due to demand. Retailers with low inventory will have rip off prices.

sbacchetta likes this.

5. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Yeah I know it’s good to wait to see reviews (which usually bear out problems too) but it’s waiting until an unspecified point in time for a company to announce cards which we don’t know much about that doesn’t make much sense to me.

But yeah the review timing thing really does have me torn. I really want to play WoW Shadowlands on a new card because they’re adding Ray Tracing and some other bells and whistles. Then just a few weeks later Cyberpunk is coming out which I most definitely want a new card for. Both of those releases fall into the range of basically impossible to find stock of new cards.

Then there’s always the bitcoin mining fear. It gives me no small amount of anxiety thinking about how if I wait I may just end up priced out of getting a new card because of bitcoin miners. Then I’m stuck with this 980ti for who knows how long.

6. Nice system whoevers it is

Fediuld likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Just to respond to some posts on page 32,

There are cases of the weight of the card causing contact within the PCIE slot to be poor resulting in noise and error correction events that may or may not also result in noticeably unstable systems, its not a widespread issue but these cases have used supports made from various things to correct the sag and resolve these stability issues.

nvidia actually showed this here at 4:10>4:15

demonstrating a standard Founders board snapping the pcie slot, then the same test done on a quadro where there was no movement at all, which i assume is because the quadro's use an inflexible plate and shroud preventing the same movement when secured in the slot.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Perhaps I need to explain myself better, and, perhaps the focus is more about the business practice of charging 1500 for a GPU or not, and, R&D is not as concomitant as one perhaps might think, to multiple products that share the same 'genus'.

This is overpriced, at a time when millions are either dying or have lost their jobs, or, both.

Perhaps...I am disheartened by the lack of compassion, and further to that, pity those who cannot see it, yet have 20/20 vision when it comes to the swelling of their own wallets at the expense of reason.

Hard to say.

9. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Is 25th September that long wait to see what RDNA2 brings? After all the NV cards won't be on sale until the 17th September with reviews around that time.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [​IMG]

Heres the official diagram

in comparison, heres the previous guesstimation
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Honestly i think it'd be far more messed up for a company to make things super affordable so you feel like you have to buy something, then to price them as if the pandemic wasn't going on.

Everyone should be clear on this: if you are having financial hardship due to events in your life, DON'T buy a GPU regardless of cost. Thats the definition of irresponsible.

So to claim nvidia is wrong here because they are not allowing people to easily be irresponsible with their money.....right...

Nvidia should not be actively trying to get money out of people who can't responsibly pay. Again, that would be messed up.

pegasus1 likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  13. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    How many times have AMD undelivered on the gfx front though? Last time they had competing products in the mid range, but pricing was comparable to nvidia equivalent, theyre not going to have super duper cards mega cheap.
    Ive been disappointed too many times to think AMD are going to provide any market shake up cards. Might reduce nvidia card prices slightly but thats about all.

14. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    September 25th says who? AFAIK there’s just rumors so far.

Agreed, I’m pretty skeptical AMD will be able to compete with the 3080 or 3090. Maybe the 3070, but I’m not in the market for a 3070.

lmimmfn likes this.
  15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I think I see your point now.

They have artificially cranked up the price for the very reason you have given. Less people have money, so we need to crank up the price to make as much/the same amount of profit as we can - that is what they have done.

1500 for a gamer GPU is nutty...and, do you not think that price is a little precise? why not 1457, or, 1504, how did the cost of production make the card so its MSRP is exactly 1500? That does not seem a little weird to you?

I get your point, and your advice is sound - but I do suspect that no one needs to be told what you are reiterating to them, but I appreciate the sentiment in these dark times.

nvidulous are clearly exploiting a situation by artificially inflating their prices...

ninja edit: AND 1500 for a GPU that does not have display port 2.0, a spec that came out in JUNE 2019 ? C'mon, they cheaped' out on the connections on the back there, how much would that have cost them, 5 cents? C'mon

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Why not $499? Well fookin hell, they do offer one for for $499! And damn, its as powerful as last years $1000 card! Why set your eyes on something (3090) that was never meant for the mainstream? Ever see anyone with a budget for C-class Merc complain that he should get an S-class for the same price? What is the world coming to with the bizarre logic we sometimes see :rolleyes:.

17. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    Well that's certainly a potential issue. It would be ironic if Nvidia offered the best solution rather than the AIB's

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Appreciate the humorous tone in which you posted, we all need some humour right now!

The issue with the pricing of your post is that, nvidulous set the price of last years' cards...so, making that claim is just as odd!

They set the price...just as Mercedes-Benz set their prices (they lost half their stock price / market cap price in Feb, but are recovering now, so the analogy you made is accurate) and nvidia has LOST $77 of their share price since this announcement...it's all connected sir, it's all connected.

19. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Low VRAM will be failure of Ampre, just look :

1080 Ti manages to beat 2080 in 4k . It clearly shows what will happen in following years .
    8GB will be GOOD ENOUGH , only for 1080p , nothing more.

Fediuld, HandR and Neo Cyrus like this.
  20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It'll suck super hard for anything outside of gaming which isn't so uncommon anymore. I want to upgrade my 1080 Ti while I have some free time and I'm in the middle of some games, but I don't want downgrade my already too limited 11GB of VRAM to 10GB. I'm definitely not the only 1080 Ti owner out there who's pissed they're charging $700 USD, meaning AIB models will probably be $800+ for non-ass ones, yet delivering half the expected RAM. Anyone who thinks their profit margins aren't up every single time is delusional. It's the same people who tried to defend the 2K series pricing even though we all know it was just Jensen pushing past what he already suspected people wouldn't tolerate.

I wouldn't even remotely consider buying from nVidia if I wasn't:
    - Limited on my window of free time & in the middle of games where I'm getting dog performance at 1440p.
    - Concerned about how fast my 1080 Ti will lose resale value.
    - At absolute 0 when it comes to faith in AMD simultaneously not being shitters, actually delivering, AND not price fixing (they're straight incompetent if that's not what it is every time to explain their retarded pricing vs nVidia).
    - Reliant on CUDA.

10GB for only the price of 40GB! What a steal! Everyone agrees nVidia are practically paying us this gen. :rolleyes: