GeForce RTX 30 series - Gaming Videos with RTX ON

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Alongside the GeForce RTX 30 serries product announcement, a new series of videos has been released showcasing the Raytracing and DLSS. In the fold below you'll see titles like COD: Cold War, CyberPu...

GeForce RTX 30 series - Gaming Videos with RTX ON

dark_surge and DannyD like this.
  2. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    I have concerns about that 10Gb of ram to be honest. Tried to rationalize it away, but going from 11gb 1080Ti to 10Gb makes this card feel inevitably mid-range. Wait over 3 years for an upgrade only to get less Vram? Nah. Not this guy.

3. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    Its a shame character models always look so out of place in the high fidelity sceneries now, that needs to be the next area of drastic improvement

WalterDasTrevas and Dribble like this.
  4. yadro

yadro Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280x
    Yeah i mean they could have gone for 8gb 16gb and 24gb.
    Maybe the release a Ti version with 16gb later who knows.

5. clopezi

clopezi Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    And how many times did you use the full VRAM? I also think more VRAM would have been better, but...

In the other hand, 11GB in 1080Ti was marketing gimmick.

6. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Not so much the amount as such as 10GB is fine, but I find it odd that they didn't use 12GB so it was half the 3090. Especially as the 2090ti is 11GB so a small step up would make sense?

7. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    I thought i was the only spoiled brat thinking "meh models": Too much power just for simulating light and stuff and that costs way too much dosh... no thanks. Have not seen anything remotely impressive or graph worthy to spend that amount of money just for lights, besides RGB.

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oh when the reality of caring about a number rather then the performance of a GPU is what someone bases their purchase on.

Would you care that your new vehicle isn't a V6 but was a 4 cylinder if you get better performance out of it as well?

What about a 6 core ryzen 3000 series processor vs a FX 8000 series 8 core processor? would you really stay with the FX 8000?

What about (if it were possible) going from 32GB of DDR1 ram to 16GB of DDR4 ram? Especially if what you did never filled it up? (even if it did the program would almost certainly run better on the DDR4 ram still due to the speed increase)

I just don't understand the rational here. Care about the performance, not meaningless numbers.

gdallsk, alanm, h9dlb and 1 other person like this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Your friend and mine has come up with some interesting insights into the HDMI 2.1 'debarcle' regarding the 30XX series, XBOX gen 4, LG and others to whom are claiming 'full bandwidth' 2.1, but are in fact only 40gb, not 48gb.

Affable as always, take it away Vincent:

Prince Valiant likes this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    CoD:BO video has pretty poor quality glass on wall clock. (Worst I have ever seen.) In return, it makes reflection quite deformed and low quality => feels like cubemap reflection.
    CB2077 is in much better state, but has same issues as BF5 had. Objects in reflections != objects in plain view. Some things are different, some are missing. (On 0:15, you can play "count the differences game". And once done, you'll notice same inconsistencies in other reflections.)
    Fortnite does not reflect missiles, their fire trail and projectile trails. But it does reflect explosions, so it is just issue with improper classification and those huge rockets are ignored.
    Watch Dogs has least errors. But, please... Why did they made hobos so poor? They are so poor, that they can't afford 128x128 texture for trousers. And they are so poor, they can't afford self reflection.

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The irony is that this is the first /80 series GPU from Nvidia with the top end chip in a loooong time. I would also prefer double the VRAM.

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I watched the videos for COD and Cyberpunk and i didn´t see anything special. The COD video was very poor and the graphics didn´t seem next gen or anything of the sort. The RTX effects are nothing to write about. The Cyberpunk video was much better with some nice reflection and lighting effects but still nothing special and nothing that makes me think "i need a RTX card".

Maybe watching videos don´t do justice for the RTX effects but so far my impression of them is simply "pretty and shiny" and nothing more. Not to mention the performance impact...

14. ontelo

ontelo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    From Nvidia AMA.

Why only 10 GB of memory for RTX 3080? How was that determined to be a sufficient number, when it is stagnant from the previous generation?

[Justin Walker] We’re constantly analyzing memory requirements of the latest games and regularly review with game developers to understand their memory needs for current and upcoming games. The goal of 3080 is to give you great performance at up to 4k resolution with all the settings maxed out at the best possible price.

In order to do this, you need a very powerful GPU with high speed memory and enough memory to meet the needs of the games. A few examples - if you look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Metro Exodus, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Gears of War 5, Borderlands 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 running on a 3080 at 4k with Max settings (including any applicable high res texture packs) and RTX On, when the game supports it, you get in the range of 60-100fps and use anywhere from 4GB to 6GB of memory.

Extra memory is always nice to have but it would increase the price of the graphics card, so we need to find the right balance.

gdallsk, Darren Hodgson and alanm like this.
  15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Good that they answered it, but all these are last-gen games, and his response actually shows the opposite. You would need at least 12GB of VRAM for games made for 16GB consoles, like you need minimum 6GB for games made for 8GB consoles.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Take it away? I think not.
    I'll take Vincent's word it's only 40Gbps :D

17. h9dlb

h9dlb Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070
    They are trying to keep the price reasonable - and you are complaining. That much vram never gets used anyway. Unused ram is wasted ram (and money)

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's really good joke. I like it.

alanm likes this.
  19. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G

Don't know if this has been posted, but there's this video with fps comparisons in real time.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    VRAM usage is unquestionably going to go up for games revolving around next-gen consoles. Higher-res textures and RT alone are going to soak up some GBs here and there. That still doesn't necessarily clarify if 10GB is enough or not but if the 3080 offers DirectStorage, then that, along with plenty of bandwidth of PCIe 4.0 ought to pick up enough slack that you shouldn't see much of a performance penalty if you're short of a couple GB.

I think having an option for a 12GB 3080 would've been a smart choice, but perhaps the 3080 Ti will offer that (or better yet, 16GB).