MSI unveils first custom NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series, two of them

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    8pin x3 for some of them ? The founder edition can be powered with 8pin x2 adaptor and i doubt the cards will go above 375 Watts ?
    Perf and efficiency is supposedly 100% better based on nVidia assumptions. So they should roughly require the same power delivery of turing.

XenthorX likes this.
  3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    MSI have always done this on some of their top models, its very overkill but its mostly for overclockers and headroom. My 1080ti has 3x 8pins, could easily get away with 2 but its there for the extreme people i guess, Think the Kingpin cards are the same/similar in this regard

4. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    So you're using it with 2 pins currently ? Or the 3 are mandatory ?

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I've honestly never tried it with 2, I just put 3 in. It looks like it requires it, (not that it would use it, odd choice by MSI but i'm not an extreme overclocker so dont know the full reasons)

Most PSU's have dones of PCIe cables so shouldnt be too much issue for most, and if you need a 2 x 8pin option guess there is many choices.

6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I think I'll keep sticking with MSI Ventus again when I do upgrade. Low price, does a fine job cooling and still has good overclocking capabilities.

7. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    I'd go for KFA2 Super EX 1C-OC series, priced same as Ventus, but better than MSI Gaming series.

8. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    From the look of it the cards at 2x8pins doesn't have the best cooling solution, and i want the best for silence and temperature.
    I am gonna check, i probably have the 3x8pins. But the i don't have a PSU of "850W" like it is (i think ?) advised by nVidia for their Founder Edition.

9. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    750w for 3080 and 3090, and 650w for 3070

10. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

I was looking at the Ventus, £649.99 by me. The Asus ROG 3080 is up now and its £829.99, Thats a hell of a jump in price.

have you had a good experience with the Ventus cards?

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well I've only used the one that I have now, but I'm very pleased with it. Ventus is the low end model of the lineup but that basically means you don't get RGB or an extra fancy looking cooler which is fine by me. Asus imo is overrated and overpriced, and on the one occasion I had to contact them for a replacement item, their customer service is the some of the worst I've ever dealt with. Total incompetence.

12. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    750W checked !
    Only have to wait for the reviews and make the model choice after that.

13. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There is the slightly more overclocked one for £849.99 :p

Seriously why is the Strix so expensive? The MSI lightning or EVGA kingpin I can kind of get the price jump, but STRIX is not in that league but is price wise.

Ventus far as i know has not been a told end model from MSI, always thought it was for their mid-range cards dual fins. but that seems to have changed. I've been eye the TRIO myself, Is a bit more at £749.99 mind you, but I don't know if the prices on overclock are set in stone atm, nowhere else i've seen is showing prices so wonder if they are bookmark prices?

14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    3pins makes sense if you're beyond 380Watts at peak usage.

Pci-e: 75Watts
    8pins: 150Watts recommended

As comparison the nvidia 12pins can handle 600watts on its own, hope everyone move to it and PSU add proper connectic