NVIDIA Announces GeForce RTX 3070, 3080 and 3090 (With Even More Shader processors)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Just had a look the 3090 is actually smaller than my card in terms of length, 313mm compared to 320mm on my 1080ti MSI lightening X unsure about weight but mine is a hefty 1.7kg :D Power consumption has a big increase though from 250w to 350w, then 3584 cores to a whopping 10496! not to mention clock speed is around the same

2. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Wasnt there a rumour that AIB partners were already manufacturing these cards? I wonder will day 1 reviews include AIB partners cards also?

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't get it.. you quoted a guy who quoted a video of Digital Foundry. Jens isn't in the video at all. That slide you posted isn't in the video.

This is the video you quoted.

You then wrote "We only know the DLSS RTX performance of those 3000 series." but in the DF video you quoted, it shows two games that don't have either DLSS or RTX and in both those titles, it's performing near double a 2080.. in fact Doom seems to be the largest improvement (over 200%) and it's one of those titles. Further, there is the slide with RDR2 that I posted, so yeah, I guess we don't know the average overall performance of all non-RTX/DLSS games.. but we have three, which I think is a pretty decent indicator and in those titles it falls where Jens said during the presentation "up to 2x a 2080".

PlatinumPanther likes this.
  4. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    You don't have to wait for that, AMD do it too. I can't say for Sony PS5 because all they spoke about was the hyperspeed SSD on their part and they don't use microsoft technology inside their box. But the Xbox series X uses Microsoft DirectStorage, which is what lays behind "RTX IO", it is using the SSD to GPU direct link to load games, just like nVidia is taking full use of it on PC through the same DirectStorage.

5. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    We need something between 3080 and 3090. Those 24gb are useless until card gets EOL. I am still waiting for RDNA2. If big navi can win against 3080 and gives me more than pitiful 10gb vram, I am staying AMD. Unless custom 3080 can offer twice the vram. 4k/120fps without streaming issues!

sbacchetta and Serotonin like this.
  6. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Some guy wrote that they have cards since couple months, but not the drivers to make them run games. Only hardcoded stresstest made by nVidia.
    The only thing we can be sure is that Samsung has plenty of free capacity to manufacture cards for launch, on the opposite of the overbooked TSMC right now.

lmimmfn likes this.
  7. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Honestly that 3070 for only $499 is going to be a lot of value for the money.

8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    What do you mean by this coming gen will be too expensive to maintain like PS4? Genuinely asking, not being a smartass.

9. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I feel the same, resist the call, 1st wait for review, 2nd wait for big Navi, 3rd wait for the Ti....I am not sure I will be able to wait that long

jjpete and itpro like this.
  10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

11. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Agreed, and there is enough space in between for there to be Core wise, i'd like a 16gb VRAM model with inbetween core count, for i assume would be around £1k~ But there is no rumours or anything about it.

Still 10gb VRAM right now is enough, the issue is how and if that will change with the new consoles coming out, having a look at guru3d vram checks at 4k they are around 5-8gbvram usage (microsoft sim being the odd one out maxing at 12gb on the AMD card, but that game is so poorly made it could be due to that) But with consoles having I'd say around 10-12gb VRAM we could see a spike up and GPU's being hit there.

It is odd they have giving us amazing performance buy VRAM numbers are more limited than they should be, would of been nice to have 3070 at10gb and 3080 at 12gb VRAM, not the 16gb I want but at least a bit extra breathing room. Unless GDRR6X does some magic under the hood? brand new tech so shall have to see.

We also have to remember NVIDA talking about their new IO for system control not looked much into it but seems to be the same as sony's onboard chip of handling texture data and so on

itpro and Serotonin like this.
  12. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Well that's cool. I thought Jen said that but started second guessing myself.

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Why the hate for DLSS? It gives better IQ at better frame rates? Its a win win. I do hope AMD has something to counter this.

Like I said it depends on game to game, with the demos they showed its higher its going to be they are going to want to show the cards in the best light possible. As digital foundry said the games were selected by Nvidia. 80% increase is still a strong increase from previous generation in Borderlands 3 as we are all used to 30-40% increases for the high end and each card stack moves up 1 stack in performance. This is as well with early drivers too.

I want AMD to bring something better though I really do. I hope I pray.

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    So when will ms release DirectStorage - or have they already?

15. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    I think its all lost on you my guy. None of those cards are aimed at 1080p gamers and at 1080p it matters more what cpu you have, lower the resolution the more the cpu becomes a bottleneck, the higher the resolution the more the gpu becomes a bottleneck. If all you do is play at 1080p anything faster than a 1070 has been almost pointless since it was released, it is within these cases where Intel cpus are key, when you game at 4k it doesn't really matter.

With the 3070 being on par with a 2080ti and being MRSP $500 you can be sure the 3060 will be as fast as a 2080 super for $399, I sold my strix 2080 super for £600 3 months ago. 1440p gaming is here for the masses now, just like AMD brought 6 to 8 cores for the masses. Use some logical thought when looking at this rather than blinkered backwards thinking like CPU fanbois did with the 7700k

• Watched the twitch stream
    • Saw the 3080 price
    • Shutdown the stream immediately
    • Jumped on eBay
    • Sold my 2080 TI within the next 20 min (no joke)
    • Eagerly anticipating Big Navi...
    • It's me and my PS4 for the next few weeks :)

16. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    I'm not going to upgrade my (very old) GTX1080 until I can get something 70%-100% better for 400-500€. (Or 50% better for...300€)
    So I'll have to keep waiting.

Edit: It seems the new line performs like this. So I might upgrade after all. Thanks for the quotes!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Indeed, there actually seems to be a performance difference between it and next tier as opposed to 2080Ti and RTX Titan where there hardly is any.

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Exclusives are loss-leaders on PS4, made to drive sales. However, Sony obviously wants to recoup some of their investments via PC sales (they chickened out with Gran Turismo 4 back in the day). It wouldn't be out of the question that (some) PS5 exclusives (like Spiderman Miles Morales) could see a PC (but no Xbox) release earlier than what we've seen before.

Long-term all it means is that the PC platform gets more games to play.

19. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    I think the ROG Strix with that RGB is beautiful... Much nicer than most other RGB implementations in a GPU, plus it will look nicer than those 3rd party RGB GPU brackets. I know some people don't care about this but when you're blinging your high-end PC out its those extra details...

ACEB likes this.