EPIC: new season of Fortnite not playable on Apple devices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    First thing I'm going to say, neither company I believe are truly in the right. Both are doing this because they aren't getting their way. Big companies like this fighting over something stupid(in my opinion) only affects the consumer. This is not going to hurt the sales for Apple products, or Epic products, instead this is giving one less option for the consumer.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's not stupid, it's absolutely a disgusting abuse of power that Google and Apple have such control and could simply demand 30% of an app's income. We should all be praying Apple/Google get shrekt.

Mannerheim likes this.
  4. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    First World problems.

5. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Simple Question, what do Apple or Google do that Justifies the 1/3 of the spend on these products, compare it to buying a PC program from an other and having to hand over a third of that money to Microsoft before you can install the product...would you do that?

For me Apple is the worst company in the world its actions are at best unfair and at worst downright illegal and Google seems to be trying to go the same route, for me they both need to have their wings clipped, look at you tube at one time it was great it was free and easy to use now even though I pay a family subscription I am forced to watch 2 to 3 ads before each video and sometimes on a long video it breaks off to force an ad on me a paying customer.

6. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    It's simple, do you want 70% from their users or not? If you do, you will agree with their tos and take 70% from sales. If you don't agree, you get nothing. It's a choice.

Epic made their choice, because they care about their playerbase so much and it was never about money.

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Epic should merely raise prices on Apple specifically so much that they would make as much as they aim for, despite Apple claiming 30% of it. I mean, if someone has the money to pay 1000 dollars for a phone, they also have more money to spend in the app store. Apple's customers wouldn't care even if everything was more expensive on their platform than on Android, let alone on PC. Apple fans are used to higher prices.

8. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    I do not pay for youtube and I have never had to watch a single ad. The videos start right away and play to the end without interruption.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Like I said it in the other thread, and @vbetts puts it, only customers get hurt. And both Apple and Epic risked this willingly. So please people don't think those companies care about the customer at all. Don't let yourselves get tricked into it.

sykozis likes this.
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well, they would argue that they triage and screen the apps that get put on their stores, to make sure stuff like malware or illegal stuff doesn't get on there. Google of course does a much crappier job of this, however, Android allows you to use app stores other than Google's.
    As for Microsoft, I don't suppose you've heard of the Windows Store? Again, like Android, you do have the option to evade it if you want.
    I would argue Apple is the only one really in the wrong here, since they don't really give you any option for an alternative.
    What do you get for a family subscription if you're still dealing with ads?

You say that as though your use of adblock is a novel and perfectly ok idea (it's not).

11. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    And Microsoft got almost split up 20 years agos just because it had pre-instaled Explorer and its own programs like Word because that was considered monopoly despite as far as I remember there was always an option to download other software... Let that sink in.

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think it's only 30% for a one-time or initial purchase. Subsequent subscriptions are only 15%.

Having said that, app developers have long complained about these fees and try to work around them as best they can. Nobody wants to hand over 30% to a middle man.

All digital storefronts charge a percentage of sales. It covers things like promotion, distribution and support (and of course a large chunk of it is profit).

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Because do you really think that it is free to put a game on a portal?
    Steam as an exemple take a lot of money too (more than Epic, and much more than GOG).

Don't forget that the original problem is that Epic have reintroduced the micro transaction (and so basicaly will be able to clean dirty money as before, accept stolen card as before etc etc...)
    Apple and Google are the most fast to react as their portal is on their own OS, but there is also the problem on PC with the EU's law... to be continued.
    Don't forget that Epic have worked on how to sue and make drama BEFORE put the new version online, (one of the massive argument that make Apple win the 1st part and make Epic demand for lost money on Fornite irrelevant).

When someone shake a beautifull flag on his right hand, look at what he do with his left hand... All those companies don't do that for their user you know...

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Nope he was totaly installed same as media player, and nothing was made to indicate that it was optional program... Office were only pre-installed.
    So a "normal" user never use other net browser or media player (IE was number one used browser, before than becoming the number one used to download something else)

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I totally agree. Both companies are known for making decisions that effect the customer. Apple with it's closed ecosystem and removal of the headphone jack on their smartphones and Epic with their timed PC exclusives. Both of those effect the customer in a major way. With customers who do not want to use the EGS and their launcher are not given a choice to play the game on another portal/Launcher because of that Time Exclusive nonsense.
    Sounds like there is something wrong with your Family subscription because I don't see ads when I am watching YouTube videos when I am logged in to my account. Are you sure that you are logged into your google account? The only time I see ads is when I am watching YouTube without using my google account.

16. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    Thats what I meant - you always had an option to download other programs from internet there was no restrictions on that be that Opera or Firefox for web browsing and heck Microsoft didnt give a damn about people using OpenOffice so people could even use that as an alternative for office work.

17. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Is it only going to hurt the consumer? In the short term I agree but the issues they each raise need to be resolved to understand how the longer term will work for both users of their respective marketplaces and their products.
    Too much unchecked power for far too long.

It would also be amusing to see if Epic's own arguments against Apple end up undercutting their own user license agreements about how people use and pay for their Unreal engine for example.

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also Epic is also guilty of undercutting customers when they have Timed PC exclusives on their store. Look at Metro Exodus they undercutted Steam when they announced that game as an EGS Timed Exclusive at the 11th Hour. Epic is the king of Undercutting.

19. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    I can't believe Epic Games want to argue with Apple... I mean they went to Apple for business on Apple's platform and store, yet they don't want to follow Apple's t&c's... Wtf???

20. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Would be awesome if apple is forced to allow people to install what ever they want with out the need to enter their store ! Also congratulations to apple for becoming 2 trillion company, i mean they sure know how to milk their customers dry!