NVIDIA Posts teaser on YouTube, Talks GeForce RTX 30 design, PCB and 12-pin connector

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Okay, good. Saying that I'll need a white braided adaptor otherwise it'll ruin the aesthetics of my build. :D

This is a bit of a drag to me to be honest. First world problems and all that.

-Tj- likes this.
  2. Maulet

Maulet Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6900 XTX
    Those developers for sure look and talk like a mad scientists! :D

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Maybe companies like Cable Mods may create an adapter cable that is white once the cards and the adapter cables are released.

4. SniperX

SniperX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080S Trio
    I'm having a nervous breakdown :eek: o_O

Noisiv likes this.

5. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    So they need 20 chokes for power delivery, a new 12 pin connector and a better method for cooling and they call this revolutionary? Thats one way to look at it.

Silva likes this.
  6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Who thinks there will be allot of RMA from broken power connectors?

Fender178 likes this.
  7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I would say that is a very good possibility the way the connector is located on the card and how it is designed. I could see users of all groups could break this thing off trying to plugin their cards. I could see the highest percentage of RMAs come from users who like to swap out cards a lot for benchmarking.

Silva likes this.
  8. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    Any design that extract the air back into the environment its using to cool itself is kind of idiotic.
    Its like trying to dry yourself off wile the shower is running.

9. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Have we a clear view of which gpus require this new 12pin? Is this only for 3090? Or also for 3070/3080 ones? (Except 3060 of-course.)

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I think it is more due to PCB design and insufficient space.
    In the end of the day, this 12-pin splits into 2x 8-pin. So, we should not expect more than 300W.

Fender178 and itpro like this.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's called: case fans.

You may want to install some.

Silva, geogan, Noisiv and 1 other person like this.
  12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Doubt very much that would happen. A multi-billion $ company like Nvidia would be aware of every aspect of usage and would be testing its strength and durability beyond reasonable expectations.

Thunk_It, Noisiv, Maddness and 3 others like this.
  13. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    another weirdness of the internet comments world
    dodge challenger 492hp = okay
    dodge challenger hellcat 727hp = omg ! want ! got to do what you've got to do !
    we don't have that "power efficiency isn't good enough" in the performance car world we want power and torque everything else is irrelevant (handling counts too...just saying...you know what I mean)

14. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Is the only purpose of the 12 pin connector that it takes a bit less space than 2 8 pin connectors? I'm honestly confused here.

Silva, Thunk_It and Maddness like this.
  15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Pretty much what i've been wanting to post.

Anyone can look at that photo and think its an easy break point. But the way it is connected to the board as well as if the GPU Cooler is bracing it (which i suspect) to my knowledge isn't known yet.

alanm and Thunk_It like this.

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I wonder if the whole lineup is going to take 3 slots :S

17. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Great article Hilbert. I am definitely hoping that Guru3D will be given access to all of the 3000 series graphics cards...the hardware reviews here are always exceptional!

I want to also say that there are some very knowledgeable (and savvy) people who participate in these forums too! It almost never fails to be a pleasure reading the comments they make here.

dragonlord likes this.
  18. semantics

semantics Member

GPU:
    N/A
    Yesh and the connector is about the same size as one 8-pin connector but it delivers up to 600w at least for what the spec is asking for, so that's the same as four 8-pin connectors.

It can also simplify the power delivery and balancing for the board. Although AIBs have used three 8 pins in the past to just separate out the power between say gpu, memory and pll even though the card cannot possibly pull past two 8-pins, but that's the same force it mentality of just using doublers everywhere because it make marketing happy.

I think the main point though was to leave the door open for them to design with larger power targets.

Nvidia's reference 2080 ti was limited for extreme overclocking due to the two 8-pins not the vrm. Even on water cooling you could easily oc to hit the 375w power limit on the card, AIB cards made fpr higher OC all used more 8 pins. I think nvidia is thinking about their making sure their Halo product can hit those. A 2080ti on LN2 could hit peak power above 500w in some of those board, the chip had alot of room.

In reality one 8 pin connector could do the same job. The MiniFit JR type connectors are not the limit for power delivery, you can do 13A per contact in the connector. Keeping the same pinout you can do 360w on a 8 pin connector with 16awg and that's with-in spec for the connector but not within spec for the standard

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Pfft a Vega64 at stock could hit upwards of 600w due to high transient peak power draw.
    Right that's not a good thing. :p

Target of ~300 but the high peak draws could be almost double that, Navi has the same issue but more sane power draw targets lessens the max peak draw from these transients other than some of the extreme third party designs.
    (Which is a bit of a extreme solution to getting the card to scale just a bit higher before capping out anyway so it's a bit of a waste and brute force approach but only one or two GPU models do it so at least it's nothing too common.)

Will be interesting to see what NVIDIA (AMD with something too at some point?) could do particularly if third party designs are less restricted or overclocking less locked though I suppose the boost design could also be used and as long as voltage, temperature and overall power draw isn't too high the card could have a target clock speed and a much higher potential max boost unless locked through the bios and wherever the wall is where it starts ramping up exponentially in how much power and the GPU voltage requirement together with the heat output.

2x of these twelvers instead of 4x eights plus the PCI 75w or perhaps a combination depending on what the stock setup is like a 12x and a 8x connector.
    Suppose that's primarily for this high-end or rather enthusiast segment 3090 card and we'll see what the 3080 and 3070 will be like maybe standard 8x or 6x only.
    (But there could be room for a 3080Ti in-between model too at some later date possibly as a response to AMD's RDNA2 however that performs when it's actually out.)

EDIT: Suppose AMD's not quite in a position to add new standards to their GPU's though and patents are a thing too so it'd be the AMD 10 or 14 unless they want to go and really show NVIDIA what power draw should look like and make a 16 pin.
    (Well it's a single cable and GPU slot there's just these 4x 8's in the other end into the PSU bit. :p )

Guessing that amps won't be too problematic either when it's multiple cables into the PSU or later PSU's having some almost-ATX like GPU slot directly ha ha.
    (Doubt that's going to happen anytime soon though when this should work just fine over two single 8-pin cables.)

EDIT: Anyways...well I can't afford one but I am really curious on the reviews for the 3090 even the 3080 as a maybe more affordable alternative while still a solid performing card. :)

September for the reveal at least from what everything is hinting at, going to be fun.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It doesn't say 2 connectors, it says 8pin pcie, which doesn't tell us how many inputs will be required to adapt to 12p.
    Seasonics is 2 connectors on the PSU side which is 4 total when swapping the 2 cables out for the one.