Why does 30 fps on PC not look as smooth as 30 fps on console?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Sounds like a trend we discovered with FC3 and 4 back in the days, 2000Mhz low CL minimum to smoothen things out.

-Tj- likes this.
  2. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Using 1/2 or Refresh Rate VSync (60->30) through the NVCP gives an experience that is closer to the "smoothness" of 30fps on consoles. 33.3ms Frametime is the most important aspect that it achieves.

MotherSoraka and BlindBison like this.
  3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    with joy that their new RTX3080's gets them over 60fps. :p

4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Funny story. I remeber when I had a 775 system and I had to play TW3 at 30 fps. I will never forget it, it was quite literally console 30. I think I was using c-panel half v-sync, can't' say to you if I was use RivaTuner or not, don't recall. Later on, as I started to upgrade my system, I couldn't get that 30 fps experience I had at that game. Maybe newer Windows 10 versions make things worse? Can't tell, but I wish to know how could I recreate that experience, because ngl, it was a good option to have for games. I need to find out, but if its tied to O.S version, then it would be impossible, because I don't even remember if at the time I was using Windows 7 or 10, which is really a shame.

So "console 30" IS possible on PC, but seems only when devs want or the if the O.S is properly configured.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020

5. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Even like that, consoles somehow still feel better. Until nvidia or AMD use "console techniques" for 30, we will never get that smooth 30 experience and they never will or no one would upgrade GPU ever.

6. tayyar

tayyar Member

GPU:
    It's the exact opposite for me. Same game, same TV, PS4 pro on 1080p boost mode vs PC + Xbox one S gamepad.

30 FPS on PC when you move the right stick at the same speed as you'd do on PS4 and PC's motion resolution is smoother.

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I'm sorry... but what? How is a controller optimized around a console? If that were the case, why would people bother trying to use PS4 or XBox controllers on PC? Playing a console game using a controller has NOTHING to do with how smooth playing at 30fps on a console appears.

If you need a reason why 30fps on console looks better than 30fps on PC, I offer one bit of a throwback to take as an example. Crysis.

Crysis is the ONLY game i can remember that, when it came out, was quite easily playable at 30fps (not JUST because we really COULDN'T get it to run any faster at the time). Why? Because while we couldn't really run the game any faster than that, SOMEHOW, the game rarely ever seemed to have any major dips in framerate. It was typically a rather smooth framerate (at least until you got to the icy section. That tanked it). Same with a console. Yes, only 30fps. But it doesn't, or can't, fluctuate much. But once you have a game that can't maintain a steady framerate, that's where gameplay seems less smooth.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Smough likes this.
  8. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Since I bought 144Hz VRR monitor I can't stand 60FPS anymore, let alone 30. You people are weird... :D
    But seriously, with my old 60Hz monitor I had the best results with the combo of half refresh rate in NV drivers and RTSS capped at 30FPS. This resulted no framerate fluctuations, low lag and possibility to set highest details in most games without any dips (with decent GPU). You can get used to 30FPS after a while but IMO this will never be as smooth as 60+, it is just too low to enjoy interactive FPS and other action games.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  9. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    It just depends on the game and your display configuration. It's usually a challenge finding just the right combination of settings. You may have to play around with fullscreen/borderless window, in-game v-sync toggle, max prerendered frames, frame limiting with RTSS or in-game, etc.

WIth DX12 and newer GPU's this was supposed to be a non-issue, but it is better than a decade ago.

Smough likes this.
  10. chr!s

chr!s Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX™ 3080 TI
    I agree that a controller will "soften" the impact of low frame rates. Using a mouse, your movements can be a lot quicker and inconsistent. For example, moving the camera/view around with a mouse, you'll notice the low frame rate a lot more compared to using an analogue stick?

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    A joystick isn't one to one, that's why. How far you tilt a joystick is pretty much just a suggestion, games will apply different base sensitivity, different acceleration curves, different aim assist, ect. A mouse will show off all the imperfections.

BlindBison, Smough and chr!s like this.
  12. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    tons of motion blur, that's why

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    yes.... and at the same time... no.

there are atleast 3 different ways to do mouse input now.

DirectInput (outdated) - use of this is most likely going to have input lag, really old windows games use this.
    Windows Messaging - buffered or unbuffered, applications may expose a hardware or software cursor (for cursor scale and appearance), preferred api for mouse inputs as of Windows XP
    Raw Input - no buffering, devices may be accessed directly via HID, windows mouse configurations do not apply at all, only settings from the mouses own driver (polling rate, dpi etc).

Raw input is usually not as accurate as WM for twitch movement, but its fast with the device itself's own report rates impacting performance.

Controllers also have 3, Dinput, Xinput and Raw input.

Dinput and Xinput can be buffered and feel generally the same.
    Rawinput bypasses joyconfig's calibration for the hid drivers, the application usually offers calibration config and may or may not buffer input itself.

chr!s likes this.
  14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @Astyanax i guess i should have said ideally the mouse is 'one to one', where as a joystick by it's nature isn't. My point still stands.

15. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Motion blur together with motion interpolation. And depends on game. There are games on consoles that 30 fps can make you get motion sickness and or nausea due to microstuttering. Same goes for pc. There is a small amount of games that will play smoothly at thirty fps. Just they are uncommon. Pc aims for sixty or more.

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Digital Foundry has also shown plenty of console games at 30 fps that don't feel "smooth". Uneven frame pacing plagues console versions of games alongside PC. Let's also not forget, there's plenty of console games that can't even keep a full 30 fps.

BlindBison and Smough like this.
  17. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    +rtss

/thread

BlindBison likes this.
  18. 30 fps feels like 30 fps wherever 30 fps is.

19. SalamatiQus

SalamatiQus Active Member

GPU:
    4090 Windforce
    Haven't really scanned whole thread but not many people here mention that TVs have motion interpolation effect.
    To really feel 30fps on a console connect it to a PC monitor and see real 30 fps.

Would be really good if someone could record their console output from both TV and PC Monitor (with slow motion too) for comparison.

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It was mentioned, and you're crazy if you play games with frame interpolation.