Seasonic shows 12-pin power cable for Nvidia video cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 24, 2020.

1. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    "It is recommended to use a power supply rated 850W or higher with this cable" on the box??? - so 850W is the new PSU minimum for Ampere??? - or it could be only for high end 3080 - 3090??? If it's true then no wonder they named this new gen chip "Ampere" - it needs a lot of current...

Also it seems that this is not an adapter -the cable goes directly to the PSU!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Fediuld likes this.
  2. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    No Nvidia is not making this, this is just a new Molex connector standard.

This as well as ATX12VO PSU standard are driven by the fact that bodies like the EU among others have pushed for 12V regularisation and lowering needless powerdraw, especially in Idle.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Has been pointed out multiple times.

angelgraves13 and barbacot like this.
  4. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    You're right - I'm recovering from a party last night - sorry!

angelgraves13 likes this.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm willing to bet this is more for the workstation side of Ampere. I can't see such a high power demanding card be released even for the high end gpu market.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Kopite has seen the founders pcb and its used there

7. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    So now you supposedly need a 12 pin power cable, a psu capable of 850w, and most will need a new case to put the over sized, over priced, over hyped, AMPERE series gpu in to! Please god let AMD bring us a decent sized, decent priced, decent powered and decent performing Big Navi ! . [​IMG]

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  8. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Look even 80CU RDNA2 would be smaller than 450mm2 so the board won't be much bigger than a standard GPU like a 5700/5700XT. Leaked picks from the 3090 die today is around 800mm2 apparently!!!! So is almost twice as big as a potential 80CU RDNA and 3.5 times bigger than the 5700XT.

Nope, normal standard desktop Ampere.

NewTRUMP Order likes this.
  9. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Actually perfectly understand. Atm using a V64 (for Machine Learning through ROCm) and a 5700XT and I bet can take 3 RVII easily assuming I upgrade to TRX40 and not use Intel CPU :D

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I have a 850W Corsair PSU because i like to leave some breathing room but i never thought one day it would be necessary/mandatory for a single GPU!?:eek: Not that i´m going to buy a GPU this expensive but still, the idea is kinda of scary. What´s next, an even hungrier GPU that needs a 1000W PSU???...

I like powerful hardware but i think Intel, Nvidia and AMD are pushing power limits too far for personal use...

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    850Watts PSU sounds like modern high-end/enthusiast requirement really:
    Peak efficiency at 80%, recommended load of 680Watts, remove 100-150Watts for peak CPU usage, that's 530Watts for GPU + other peripherals.

Lots of 2080-Ti are already running at 380-450Watts (KingPin Hybrid is 520Watts).

That's not shoking really.

12. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Nvidia just wants more money, that's all. Just go AMD, hurt their sell, if no one buys this card then they won't disappear, don't worry.

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    AMD's drivers suck. No thanks. I'm sticking with Team green here.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that is alot wattage for gpu

15. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Stop living in the past. Add "used to" and you will be correct. Both Amd and Nvidia have driver issues that's why the are updated so often. Be it new game offering or new hardware, or hotfixes. If they were that bad they would not be in the gpu battle that everyone enjoys.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah True AMD has improved on their drivers a great deal over the past couple of months. Yeah Nvidia has their fair share of driver problems too.

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    It won't be 850W just for the GPU though that is recommended for the whole system and they probably left room to spare as well just to be sure. A whole system probably wouldn't even pull 600W with one of these cards for majority of gaming. This 850W is probably worst case scenario whilst 100% stressing CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD/HDD, and the whole system at the same time.

The testing hardware like this will go under is insane, they are just trying to cover their backs from a law suit.

Fender178 and HandR like this.
  18. no_1_dave

no_1_dave Master Guru

GPU:
    [​IMG]

Taken from the video today.
    As I said, they will include an adaptor. Would be naive to think they wouldn't considering every time a new connector has been used in the past and adaptor was included...

Maddness and Fender178 like this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It doesn't say how many 8 pins.
    Expect 4x8, and for people to burn their houses down.

20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You're basing this idea off the supposedly max the 12 pin can do, rather then the what the card will draw.

It's highly unlikely that nvidia produced a cable specifications based solely on the 3090 alone, and had no intentions of making a cable specification with much higher headroom then was previously there.

We don't know what the 3090 will require for power, but it's unlikely to be at the peak that the new cable can provide.