F1 2020: PC graphics performance benchmark performance analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    well I got the price correct anyway.

1d8acd8c6e8e337ce31bef84a8636491.jpg

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    :D
    Yup, just pointed it out since it would just be a bit sad if someone went for the dragon instead of the devil which is the most praised and recommended 5700XT throughout reviews.

3. rikkiepc

rikkiepc Member

GPU:
    7950 CROSSFIRE
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080

5. S V S

S V S Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    I don't remember the 290x being better than the 780 Ti? None of the other AMD cards you named ever were high-performance GFX cards for multiple years. The 1080 Ti is 3 and a half years old and is still one of the best GFX cards money can buy. AMD is just now releasing cards that can compete with it.

That was the point of my comment. Not that AMD doesn't have good cards (it does). But AMD hasn't exactly released many cards that remained at the top of the performance charts several years later. The 1080 Ti has ended up an amazing buy.

6. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super

Are you kidding ? You mentioned about Nvidia longevity the 680 and 780 where one of the worse aging gpus in history especially the 680 and the whole Kepler architecture the 7970 ended up much faster and the 290x is still performing around the 480 level of performance while the 780ti often does not even get half the fps , now about the 1080ti no argument there 1080 ti was most likely the best card you could buy on lunch the last decade ! But talking about longevity on the 680 and 780 ... maybe in a parralel dimension.

7. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    7970 drivers was pretty bad the first 3 years. I went from 2x 7970 to 2x gtx680. It was way better due to 7970 lacked Frame pacing. It took 3 years to get it for 79 series. Benchmarknumbers was good/high, but it was pretty much unplayable in many games compared to gtx 680.

780/780ti overclocked like crazy, so it was pretty good "longevity". I had 780 and 780 evga classified, and they overclocked up to 1500mhz on water. 1250-1300mhz was normal on 780ti with water,compared to 900mhz? Stock

8. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    DLSS has great potential, but with this game, I would keep it off, everything seems fuzzier, the road, the tree to the far left in the distance, the fence, the crowd, the text, etc.

Maybe if the game was better optimized? Control does a remarkable job when it comes to DLSS.

9. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    The sound in recordings does not do justice to the real sound of the current F1. Loudness wise it's close to the V8 era and will probably still hurt most people's ears :). The lack of high RPM's and Turbo noise takes away part of the engine noise. Still quite impressive what they manage to get out of a 1.6 liter 6 cylinder.

10. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I was 10 foot away from Renault RS6 3.5 V10 (Rothmans Williams F1 / Damon Hill) on starting grid years ago (early 90s) as it was being cranked up and took off. I don't think there is any comparison. Was loud enough to scare birds from the trees in the park.

11. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    Very important:

Make sure to update the driver before doing such comparisons. This comparison was likely done with an old driver, that's why TAA is sharper and looks better here. The new DLSS needs the newest driver to work properly.

pharma likes this.
  12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I was just going to mention the driver. It has been noticed that if not using driver 452.06 the DLSS option does not look quite as sharp as TAA.

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Don't make unfounded remarks like that. Obviously the latest available driver has been used (452.06 WHQL).

14. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Unless it's somewhere else the review only mentions driver 451.67.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    This review dates from July 10th when we released it, as mentioned in the very first paragraph, the news item and even at the start of this thread topic it has had an update with DLSS results today. Obviously the latest driver has been used here for DLSS results. I've reflected this in the review now.

As to the slightly blurry image quality. NVIDIA has not stated it is applying DLSS 2.0 whatsoever, this could be based on the first revision.

Fox2232 likes this.

16. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    Hmm maybe something is wrong with your drivers. Here's a comparison between DLSS before and after the driver update:

https://imgsli.com/MjA5ODA

Sorry for the different angles, but you can anyway see on the static objects like the car, the royal walls, the ground textures, the fences etc that it's a lot more refined. Your DLSS screenshot looks very much like the before screenshot here.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    could need a DDU to get rid of the older ngx location, but i don't think hilbert would make the mistake of not doing that.

18. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Yeah, I just noticed some talk on the internet stating the developer just used the "defunct pathway" in the game (DLSS 1.0) instead of incorporating DLSS 2.0.