System Image Length on Laptop Machine

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by AMDMan2016, Aug 24, 2020.

1. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    Hello All

Do my system images of my Intel I7 7700HQ Laptop monthly Full, and weekly incrementals every 3 Sundays, and Full one Every 1st and 4th Sundays. Anyways some reason takes 5-6 hours to do 1 image to my USB 3.0 In Enclosure Seagate 8TB Hard drive, ((serial ata 3 inside the enclosure) Laptops internal drive is 1TB Hitachi, and 128gb SSD

I tend to do that one the last of the systems, that way i don't delay getting the Desktop image backup done on same drive

Any advice is Welcome

P.S. I know my name says AMDMan, setup this account when i was still using AMD FX System in 2016, Switched to Intel based systems September 2017 again.

Addtional Info Desktop recently upgraded to 8 Core/16 Thread, Intel I7 10700 Processor, shouldn't the image backups be a little faster on the Desktop system as well, using Macrium Reflect for the image backups

Should i run seatools on the 8TB in Enclosure?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Don't worry about nicknames. We are not our nicknames. It's just something arbitrary.
    Now, to the point.
    Did the same tasks took less time in the past?
    Do you run antivirus in the background?
    Do you have your main drive encrypted with Bitlocker?
    Normally, I would point instantly to the USB protocol. Even that the protocol evolved to sustain such speeds, it is not able to fully communicate with the SATA protocol and there is some emulation done by the CPU.

What I would do:
    Benchmarks for the external drive.
    Hard drive checked for some SMART events, or bad blocks.
    Backups done in safe mode and without many unnecessary services/process.
    Take some notes for those results, share and let's discuss further.

3. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    Ok Desktop Image backup for the largest drive (1TB Western Digital Black) at least on this machine took 1 Hour and 49 Minutes, Fell asleep after posting this last night, will get started on Laptop shortly here, and see how things go, benchmark the external gonna be done, hard drive checked for smart errors etc.

No Bitlocker encryption, OS on Laptop is Windows 10 Home which i believe doesn't offer Bitlocker protection. OS on Desktop Windows 10 Pro

Antivirus protection for all systems is Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes Free 4.1.2, ((started using Windows Defender full time protection last year for all systems, after too many problems, and issues with Avast Free Antivirus i used almost 20 years, but after reports of it sharing data, and such--changed my mind on using it.

4. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    Ok Results of Error Scans on External and Laptops internal storage drive completed this morning, So appears both drives don't have any bad blocks according to this. Imagine the Internal Laptop drive is only 5400RPM, or maybe 7200RPM, can't seem to get it open to take a look, one darn screw won't come out for some reason, possibly stripped, though my screwdriver i was using, worked fine for all other 9 screws, 10th one giving me problems

I can run Seatools on the 8TB External in Enclosure on Desktop over night if need be

external error scan.jpg HD Tune error scan.jpg

Image backup going now, estimated time for finish 3 Hours currently

5. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    This sounds pretty slow, even if the HDD would spin at 5400rpm.
    Is anything running in the background and accessing that harddisk?

6. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    If you have a screw that will not back out, and it's the last one, there's a way to get those out without busting things.
    Lay the object face down or however you need to have it so that pulling upward (when ALL screws are out) would remove the panel or cover in question. Carefully get your hand or fingers behind whatever panel you've taken all but one of the screws out of, and carefully apply pressure upward on it while you unscrew that last stubborn screw. You only need to apply as much pressure on the screw driver as would be needed to keep it seated on the screw. DO NOT pull hard enough to break the plastic panel you're trying to remove, just enough to put tension on & hence encourage the screw to back out when unscrewing the stuck screw - only a little tension is needed here.
    Basically, you would be applying pressure to force the screw to follow the threading out while you're unscrewing it. This knowledge is useful for more than just computer bits, too, in our ever-cluttered lives full of plastic things and gadgets.

For the drive seemingly taking too much time, make sure you're doing the following:
    Make sure it's charging so it can use it's best power plan.
    Make sure that your usb 3.0 or newer device is plugged into a high speed port, not a usb 2.0 port (though since a lot of laptops have less ports than desktops, often these are mostly all usb 3.0 or newer generation now.
    Not blocking the vents of the laptop, some may be on the bottom but often they're on the sides of the unit. If it gets hot, the processor will throttle and slow down the backup compression routine. Switch to uncompressed backups IF you have the space, when doing backups for the laptop.
    Hard drives are slow, that's why we're phasing them out in favor of SSD options. Sometimes it's easy to get spoiled by SSD's. Then the first subsequent time we get to use a hard drive, we think it's broken because it's just SO SLOW.
    If your source and destination drive seems to have no errors that you can tell of any kind, and they just take longer; keep in mind the 1tb HGST drive (that while a reliable drive), may only have a single platter in it or be an older dual platter model that is just plain pokey when it comes to speed. Slow and steady wins the race though.

7. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    not that i know of, all programs closed when i do the image backups, same way i do them on the Desktop machine....Using Paid Home versionof Macirum Reflect 7.2, same as Desktop..not really sure why so slow, still gotta complete benchmark of the external drive, and so on

2017 HP Omen 15_ce019dx Laptop, so believe it only has usb 3.0 ports

And will remember to give that a try in regards to the screw issue.

No vents blocked, on A/C power, on wooden desk

Might upgrade my backup program at Christmas to Paid Acronis version possibly lol, not 100 percent sure on that aspect yet, but i figure eventually gonna get a m.2 ssd for Desktop to go along with 250gb current drive, and WD black 1tb hard drive.

Laptop machine gonna upgrade it's M.2 128gb sometime in the future as well, and maybe the Storage drive in that as well

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You're using a really old HD Tune there, it doesn't even show slow blocks.

9. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    I'm Using the Free HD Tune version
    HD Tune 2.55 12 February 2008 hdtune_255.exe 628 KB (That was the version i was using)

Should I install the Pro Version Trial and re run the tests on the drives? Guess mine was really really old oops

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you can use Victoria instead of hd tune.

anticupidon likes this.

11. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    Ok Will Run Victoria to check the 8TB External, and Laptops Internal 1TB Storage drive, The 8tb external i'll probably have to connect to Desktop to run for that drive, as it's gonna take hours to fully scan an 8TB external drive, Seagate tools i know takes about 18 hours if i run a long test on that external drive, unknown how long Victoria will take, but will get that done later tonight for sure.

Thank you for the info on this program, didn't even know about it til now