Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by metagamer, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    is this highest graphical settings and fastest internet speeds? If so than eventually it will improve with Microsoft updates or Orbx DLC. This simulator won't be the same in 10 years.

2. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Update.
    After a couple of hours I found that the issue is being caused by the audio.
    Go to devices and disable the audio devices. Reboot and the game started loading.

fluidz likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    disable the nahimic service

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  4. Graphics settings were a combination of High/Ultra. And internet speed is 250mb/s. I don't think there is a limiting factor anywhere.
    Yeah I believe so. Bing maps are not the same as they were 10 years ago, we can only hope they will propagate the Bing maps improvements into the FS2020.

btw: There is a video about Bing maps integration. See how many manual changes they are forced to do to the maps in cities after the 3D processing. That doesn't send very good signal to me. I wish they simply licensed Google's 3D AI-based processing because it's simply superior:

5. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Defiantly thinking now to grab another SSD for this game thinking about a WD Black NVMe or a Samsung EVO 970 1TB to pop in my spare m.2 slot.

6. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Thanks
    Disabling Nahimic didn't affect it. Still have the issue.

7. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I also found that if page file is turned off it causes random crashes.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats because the page file is required to virtually allocate (not use) memory exceeding available physical.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I decided to pick this up in the early hours of Sunday morning and left it downloading overnight. Even though I have a 420 Mbps fibre connection, the game still took between 3 and 4 hours to finish downloading due to the way the files were decompressed. Still, it downloaded first time which is a miracle for anything using the Windows Store!!!

Not wanting to play the game on anything less than Ultra settings at 1440p because, let's face it, it looks near photo-realistic, I loaded it up to see how it would run. I first did a couple of the training sessions in Sedona with the game capped to 30 fps in RTSS (as I have a 165 Hz G-SYNC display, I disabled V-Sync in-game at which point the game's own framerate cap became unselectable). To my surprise the game maintained an almost solid 30 fps throughout both sessions.

I then decided to try out a plane and a flight route between Manchester and Gatwick, London and this put a lot more demand on the hardware as data is streamed in during flight. It still maintained 20-30 fps but with 2-3 seconds dips into the low teens whenever the game streamed in data before returning back to 20-30 fps. Still, the visual splendour adds so much to the experience that it is well worth it IMO. Did not have any crashes (well, PC related ones anyway...) and loading times (from an SSD) where around a minute at most (the game seems to stop at the 90% progress bar, presumably it is downloading and decompressing stuff here?).

Very impressed with this and how well it runs on my ageing hardware, which apart from the GTX 1080 Ti, dates back to June 2013!

What I was not so impressed with was the cost of the DLC and in particular the quality of one the packs I unfortunately decided to download. The price of the DLC is ridiculous as are the upgrades to the Deluxe and Premium versions (which cost more than the base game). The DLC pack in question that I bought was ORBX's London Asset DLC which looks like a port of assets and textures from a 20 year old flight simulator. It actually makes Tower Bridge for example look worse than the base game!!! This DLC is a complete rip-off and I would warn anyone against buying it. Had I known it was so poor quality then I would not have bought it. I tried to get a refund from Steam but they refused it twice because the DLC used in-game points. I think it is pretty despicable really that this developer released what is clearly a lazy cash grab:

Check this out:

I would never have expected a DLC pack for a game of this quality to be so poor. Needless to say I have uninstalled it and will be emailing the developer to tell them what I think of it!

cerebus23 and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  10. What I really miss is realistic (or any) damage model for planes. That "you crashed" message is stupid. We have 2020 and we still can't attempt landing with damaged planes? For crying out loud, just give as proper damage model.

11. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 TI FTW UL
    Can't because of 9-11

12. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    Does the green glow of lighting on the ground in certain places at night look at little off like a blah looking green? Or possibly overly green? It's from the street lights and building lights reflecting off the trees at night.

Again the lights are not green, it's the trees and vegetation reflecting or displaying the green glow at nigttime. If no one else is bothered by it then I'll look into adjusting hardware/software/game settings.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I wonder, has anyone tried X- Plane 11? Surprised MSFS doesnt have Hong Kongs Kai Tek airport.

14. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    How do you delete/remove/uninstall a purchased content pack? I bought the awful cash-grab ORBX London Scenery pack and want to remove it completely to have the original (superior) assets but I cannot see anyway to uninstall or deactivate it. Anyone know how to do it please? Thanks.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Never ever change the texture filtering quality mode from default "Quality" to "High Performance" the difference in texture quality is massive and high performance makes games look like garbage. Textures go from very near to their default quality with only minor compression from Quality to insanely low quality compressed blurred messy garbage on high performance.

If you need to do this or really just want the best fps for your hardware in a game just make a game specific profile in Nvidia control panel and change it there. Jay just changed it in the global profile which will apply it to every game you run.

Also "prefer maximum peformance" is also never recommended for the global profile. This will lock your GPU at base clocks even when on the desktop, increasing both idle voltages and heat. Once again change this on a per game basis with a game profile. I personally change this from default "Optimal" to "Adaptive" which seems to give me better idle temps. Optimal seems to boost higher when using things like web browsers, and video players but doesn't give better performance.

Adaptive is fine for the vast majority of applications and games then if you want to tweak things make a game profile.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  17. scaramonga

scaramonga Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 W/C
    Delete 'ORBX London Scenery pack' from \MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Community\

Go to:
    C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

Use Notepad++ and open 'Content.xml'. Edit out lines relating to 'ORBX London Scenery pack', save.

cerebus23 likes this.
  18. remicius

remicius Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Ti
    Is there any way to create my own flight plan,not just between airports?i know i can add custom points but if i want to flight alongside a river for example and create a line point to point,is it possible to do somehow?Also,if i set the cruise altitude for 300feet,the autopilot is ignore it completely,how can i hold the distance from the ground when using auto pilot for example 300feet?thanks

19. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  20. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I know these vids are dime a dozen by now but dang! This cute lady can fly me to the moon and play with my stars any day of the week... and she seems to have a good grip on the stick too!