Review: Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020): PC graphics performance analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 18, 2020.

1. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    It doesn't make sense that Microsoft uses DX11 for this title... Maybe even they are not getting what they promised out of DX12. Lol! I have to pint out that this is shocking results that not even a 2080TI can get 60fps in 1080p resolution. That just tell me that the developers haven't done a good job at optimizing this game. Whether you need the 60fps or not is besides the point.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    More CPUs tested. Almost looks like a GPU chart with the differences between top to lower end CPUs:

Microsoft Flight Simulator CPU.jpg

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It happens when game uses a decade old api.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Avro Arrow likes this.
  4. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I realy love those kind of games, and i think from those tests that Microsoft did a good job whit it, but for the price i will not buy it. Will wait 6 months then the price will go down. To me this game is not for the mases so price will go down...

Avro Arrow likes this.

5. Digibetus

Digibetus Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super 8GB
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn
    Are you gonna test a multiple monitor setup?
    I'm wondering how performance will end up with two or three monitors.

6. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    You mean with a 747? Or a Airbus A380? My yard is only big enough for a A380 to land ;)

Avro Arrow likes this.
  7. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Wait the 9700k doing better than the 10700k???

nick0323 likes this.
  8. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    That's like saying we R using Internet explorer instead of Edge. Errr? No! Your analysis is better. :)

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Not really.. DX11 is still being actively developed - DX12 is not a replacement for DX11.

10. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Thanks.
    would be cool if you could just test the scaling with the 2080ti since i think many ppl got the 3900x instead of a 9900k/10900k. But yeah its just for "theoretic" purposes.

11. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Is that you, Bill?!

12. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Think I saw somewhere that DX12 is coming in a post launch update so we'll see if that brings any better performance.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  13. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    no just a Cessna. The house isn’t even mine and my yard in game is nothing like is is IRL. The only thing that’s accurate are the streets. However I did land on my street and “drive” down the road.

geogan likes this.
  14. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    I read that I could try the game out on my pC on game pass. Where and what am I looking for.

15. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Its sitting exactly where it should be, no.2 in games.
    minimum frames > average
    *though yes 9700k doing well for sure.

16. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I thought I saw this as well. This game seems to be in serious need of............something. Not even 60FPS on a $1200+ GPU @ 1080p? Perhaps it is held back for now and DX12 will help?

Do any of you know what GPU usage is at when these framerates are attained? Can @Hilbert Hagedoorn shed any light on this? I'm just wondering if a 2080Ti is at 100% usage while not even maintaining 60FPS@1080p. :eek:

17. oreganobag

oreganobag Guest

GPU:
    Is this a pp
    Those expecting 60 FPS like it's some kind of triple-A shooter, stick your settings to low/medium and turn AI off. It's not that the game isn't optimized... it's pretty well optimized, our PC components just aren't ready for it. If you wanted to be able to run ultra at 60 FPS on 4k, the visual range would be cut down to like... 1 mile, there would be zero AI traffic, and you'd have 25% of the trees and buildings that are currently in the sim.

Coming from FSX, the performance in this is leaps and bounds above what we used to have. No other game comes close to hitting the scale of the data and rendering power needed for everything shown when you're only a few hundred feet in the air over New York City or Los Angeles. Tens of thousands of buildings and trees, on top of 3d clouds, the airplanes geometry or digital displays and it's physics, as well as AI and streaming in live data from Bing. I'm able to hold 30 FPS in even the most strenuous settings save for maybe sitting in JFK in the 787. This crap would tank me down to < 10 FPS in FSX on the same hardware (8700k, 2080TI) and look worse, and that is a nearly 15 year old simulator.

18. longest

longest Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus
    "one of the most anticipated games of 2020" - we can just say anything now? as far as performance goes, it's a poorly optimized game that doesn't even look good. i've seen how textures of streets just go down some cliffs, it's just ridiculous.

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I just read up your last 10 posts, all you seem to do is bitch and complain like a small child, why?. Please start behaving like a normal person, otherwise seek a new forum to hangout at.

20. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    I think there's a mistake on the last page (Concluding). The graph says RTX 2060 Super but I think -based on the previous pages- that it should be RTX 2080 Ti.
    Sorry if this has been posted before, or if I'm wrong.