Rumor: GeForce RTX 3090 Pricing To Sit at $2000

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Yep. They do not get into the account that BOM of these GPUs is double that of Turning.

Amen. I will stick to my 5700XT. Freesync does great job.

Personally I boycott NVidia for years because of their Linux sht.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  2. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    $2000 seems rather steep even for nvidia, however $1500 seems very possible to me considering last top card premium price.

I guess adding a couple of extras (founders edition?) maybe they could push it up that high. Makes you wonder what companies like Asus, MSI etc. are going to charge for their cards

3. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    My prediction for Ampere price :

3060 cheaper than first release 2060
    3070 slightly cheaper than first release 2070
    3080 same price as first release 2080
    3090 more expensive than the 2080ti

And they will launch a card next year (3080ti) to slot in between the 3080 and 3090

4. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Is not. It will sell the RTX3090 as "the new Titan" and be done with it. Like Intel sells that pathetic 28 core CPU.

5. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  6. neikosr0x

neikosr0x Active Member

GPU:
    Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333mhz
    Well guys... With the upcoming recession in Europe at least... Good luck selling these cards at that price...

7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    ok with only 0.1 defect density https://caly-technologies.com/die-yield-calculator/ 300mm waffer and the 2080ti 31mmx25mm you get 33 good dies and 31 with defective parts ((not usable smt's)) on a new node the defect density is greater also the most expensive ones are the latest nodes 7nm etc ... for audio and usb controlers they would use 32 nm ....40nm ..even back to 60nm where the defect density is much much lower and the cost per waffer lower .
    so here is a usb 3.2 controller width 4.15 height 0.95(( https://www.arrow.com/en/products/tusb1002arget/texas-instruments)) ... putting it on the same waffer we get 12800 working controllers ... even assuming they are both fabbed at 7nm and the waffer costs the same 5000 flat ... 5000/12800=0,39 =39 cents is what the controller cost compared to 5000/33 = 151 usd the 2080ti cost that's just what it will cost to the manufacturer texas instruments for the ic and nvidia for the 2080ti ... mind you i do not have the exact prices of a wafer but controllers in comparison the graphics cards are much cheaper much much much much much much cheaper to produce ! so the prices are not accurate but this is an example to demonstrate the scale of the difference now if the ic is fabbed on 28nm instead of 7 the waffer will be cheaper 3k or so ... let's say 2.5k for simplicity so that ic would have costed 19.5 cents ! the components on the motherboard often do not exceed 50 bucks all together ((depends on the mb cheapo 70 bucks mbs have even less and older ic's )) . meanwhile while nvidia pays 151 usd for 1 printed gpu on a waffer they will sell that a lot more to asus etc ...and then asus will get memory add the pcb vrms etc and add their profit ! also mind you the low cost motherboard upwards to mid-range the margins are razor thin .

that said i repeat i do believe that 2000 usd is insane too . but a huge chip like a 2080ti gpu core does not cost only 10 bucks that's certain ! And yes if the rumor is remotely true rumor has it Jensen uses Leather jackets as currency nowadays :p so 20mil in leather jackets !

AntiSnipe, Fediuld and itpro like this.
  8. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Public servants, municipality workers, state agents and people in uniform are not affected. Government always will receive taxes and take loans as financial assistance. Those people will buy easily anything given. Life isn't fair for all.

Solfaur and Fediuld like this.
  9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Here in the UK we are officially back in recession and everyone I know is tightening their wallet/purse strings and even more so that a lot of people are still off work, my self included. We are getting paid from the government but from last month the amount you get has started to go down and people are feeling it already. I was over £500 short last paycheck. That would cover my mortgage. And over the coming months its going to get worse, I've been told that I probably wont be going back to work until October (many have already been brought back though but there are still over 500 people on furlough).

I can honestly see the new cards being held back until next year and even the consoles too. We are weeks/months away from their expected launch window and no firm date yet from anyone. Now you have Microsoft delaying their biggest game Halo, and Sony and Microsoft haven't revealed the launch date or the pricing. AMD is completely silent other than saying "everything is on track...". Nvidia does have a conference soon.

It's always the same in a recession though, the vastly effected is always the poorest whilst it seems that the rich get even richer. This could be why Nvidia will jack up the prices we see rumoured here, they know most people won't have the money but the ones that do won't care how much it costs. Easiest way for Nvidia to make more money, sell fewer cards but sell them to the highest paying customer.

Maddness, Fediuld and itpro like this.
  10. iicycube

iicycube Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080TI OC
    Nothing will be cheap even if they cut cost of the item, its a trend in electronic item to be keep increasing and keep going.
    Buy it if you needed it and not follow the trend and put it for showing

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Nvidia at gamers when miners took over high end video card purchases.

[​IMG]

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  12. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    well you all have yourselves to blame for this ridiculous price.
    If it was £3000 the same people will still purchase one.

WalterDasTrevas and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Nvidia seems envious of Apple, selling their phones at $1000+, their desktops at upwards of $30k+, their monitor stands for $999, and their wheels for $500+......

Coming soon....

Nvidia Geforce Driver 500.11 WHQL for the small price of $100

Pay an extra $200 and get PhysX enabled that we locked out

Pay an extra $200 and get BreakWorks.... We mean GAMEWORKS that we locked out

Pay an extra $500 to unlock boost mode!......

geforce experience sold for only 2 kidney's

I need to stop, I'm giving them ideas....

14. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Some people will buy two or three each. Idiots ruining the society always existed. Never really worked or honestly earned their money, perhaps lottery or an inheritance. If they did care, they would respect us all. My hard earned money isn't eligible to support pcmr's smile and no lifers in general.

Martin5000 and WalterDasTrevas like this.
  15. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    For a Titan 2000 sounds about right. But for a 3080Ti i'm guessing 1200

16. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    ummmmmmmmmmmm, nope...

[​IMG]

WalterDasTrevas likes this.
  17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes, because Intel has been competitive in the past, and never the more expensive option....

Oh, wait....

Solid post @karma777police It's good to see you're still an intel employee.

HandR likes this.
  18. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Honestly I am leaning towards console gaming at this point anyway. I play my Xbone X a lot, only play a couple FPS on PC these days since PC gaming just isn't what it used to be anyway. Console has a way larger player base than Console ports to PC do, when a console game comes to PC the community is dead within 3 months. Not like this is late 90's/early 00's when you had many companies making great PC exclusive games that were better than anything on console. Also some Xbox games are starting to get M/KB support, and ditching PC gaming would finally mean I can leave Windows 10 fully behind for Linux. PC gaming just doesn't offer enough anymore to justify the huge price premium.

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Unless Sony and Microsoft offer native mouse and keyboard support without acceleration and the ability to turn vsync off I will never move back to consoles.

Then you also have the locked down eco system, no mods, no tweaking, no overclocking, no emulators, you like steam? you like epic? you like gog? you like origin? you like battle.net? you like uplay? tough you have 1 store (with massively inflated prices) and you will HAVE to like it.

20. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Well, that's...dedication to your upgrade, a bit seat of the pants for me, though. I put aside £3000 for a new build months ago but dropping 2 grand of that on a GPU is mental to my way of thinking. To each their own, of course.

Evildead666 and CPC_RedDawn like this.