Micron confirms GDDR6X for GeForce RTX 3090 with 12GB and over 1 TB/sec memory bandwidth

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 14, 2020.

1. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it's amazing how close to hbm2 this gets

agree wholehearteadly with 99.9% of this
    but having functioning dlss 2.0 in wolfenstein and control I played both with rtx on on a mere 2070S @1440p and got great experience.even more so considering those two games came as a free bundle.While it's a must for rtx performance to improve,you don't actually need a 2080Ti to enjoy it.Control ran at 55-65 fps which is fine for a third person on a adaptive sync monitor,wolfestein rarely droppped below 100,both with dlss quality.I feel like with 2080 Super and dlss 2.0 you'd have a great rtx experience overall,there'd be no reason to turn it off cause of broken game fluidity.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The 3090 is going to have double the memory bandwidth of my 1080Ti, isn´t that good enough? And i´m still waiting for the prices of the damn thing...

itpro likes this.
  3. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Hopefully if the 3080 has only 10gb of Vram then it better be used correctly and no game has a chance to max it out. Otherwise i'm gonna just wait another gen. (or wait on AMD)

I could afford a 3090 but i wanna keep the watts down as much as possible. I might even just get a 2070S for now and wait for Ampere+.

4. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I wouldn't say weak but 100% agreed, these cards are meant to go much higher then 4k(not using ray tracing of course).

Awhile back, ran some 8k test's(Upscale/Testing purposes only) with 2 1080ti's, ran pretty well I would say with the help with tons of system ram as buffer, but again yes, top tier 3xxx cards should be at the very least 16gb, 12gb? ergh, should be higher, but all depends on the game and its quality settings of course, but yes, I would love to see some 8k results on the top tier 3xxx cards, That would be extremely interesting to see compared to the 2080ti.

I remember seeing this a while back ago, take a look at this site, scroll down to 8k results, very interesting:

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/...nvlink-8k-60fps-gaming-now-reality/index.html

Far as ray tracing in general is concerned:

It seems that these new 3xxx generation made significant leap in Ray Tracing Performance in general, 4k + Ray Tracing along with all the bells and whistles intact, Card should deliver outstanding performance over the 2xxx series.

Its amazing to even see this in real time while playing, but again, this is my personal opinion:

I would rather choose Overall image quality(Anti-aliasing) then Reflections,lighting,etc, not any day, ANY SECOND of the year.

Again, very nice to have, absolutely yes, but as before, Overall Image quality All the way, no exceptions.

Still going to be beast of a card nontheless, I expect major performance increase in this coming generation, looks very promising, cant wait for results.

OnnA and itpro like this.

5. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    1440p 240hz it is irrelevant for me since I need brute power not vram. Even 8 gb is enough for 1440p.

PPI will be always distinguishable. I am a real pro, what about you? Even a mobile phone 720p 5" has a huge difference with a 1080p 5" model. Disgusting visual differences. Clarity is on another level. And you dare compare 4K vs 8K? You must be new in enthusiast tech world. Learn.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    But it's literally not distinguishable past a certain distance, which is why PPD is a better metric for comparisons. I'd expect an ITPro to know that.

fry178 and itpro like this.
  7. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    I am waiting for 460.xx driver just release something to get new drivers.

8. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    [​IMG]

Gandul and itpro like this.
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    8k gaming is and will be completely impractical for next several years. Even when the GPU power to run it is available, its still a gimmick on anything but the largest TVs. Anyone who wants an 8k gaming display smaller than 40" is the same type of guy who will want a 4k 6" phone.

fry178 and Gandul like this.
  10. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Agreed, 8k will not be mainstream for a long time.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Until i see a JDEC submission, this is just a custom GDDR6 and doesn't get the X added on,

looking at patents made recently, this is just GDDR6 with a couple of signal changes.

12. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Agreed, but average person still talks about DPI, less for PPI and now you expect to talk about PPD. Sure it's more accurate, probably visual perception of each ones' eyes is different, but should I poke my eyes out that I can clearly feel e.g. 1440p va 27" is crisper than 55" oled 4K for me?

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It seems to me high quality VR would be more relevant than regular external 8k screens. The demands might be somewhat similar. I'm not sure how popular VR has become, though. The headsets are still too expensive for me, anyway. Although that hasn't particularly bothered me since I've been waiting for new GPU generations, and my old video card would hardly satisfy VR games.

Gandul likes this.
  14. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    12GB VRAM seems a bit disappointing, but with the rumors being that double RAM size cards are coming later, it might be worth the wait. I don't think I want to buy anything below 16GB of VRAM right now.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Solfaur likes this.

16. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    No.
    Ram bandwidth just tells you how fast the GPU can fill up its cache and do more stuff.
    Asset streaming implies that you move them from RAM to GPU RAM and for that the RAM is bottleneck. Usually asset streaming with less GPU RAM means stutters here and there

GPU RAM size and speed are both needed with increase of the work load, one cannot compensate the other.

ruthan likes this.
  17. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    I would be surprised with 12GB mem, i am already filling up 8GB on my Vega 64 at 1900x1200 in some games.
    The memory usage varies greatly from game to game, some use less then 4GB others eat everything they can get, but 4k should eat up those 12GB quickly.

18. pipes

pipes Member Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4080 frostbite
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  20. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I don't think anyone is debating it's not crisper. It's the price you have to pay versus what you gain that is not really worth it. 4k is already very taxing. 8k will be significantly worse. You have to question whatever the gain in clarity is worth the price you have to pay in gfx quality.

There's no denying full ray tracing will improve the gfx a lot. It makes the lighting and shadows a lot more realistic and vibrant (when not half-assed like most rtx games are right now). And there's no denying that full ray tracing is so taxing on the hardware that 8k full ray tracing wont be a reality for at least another 10 years minimum (probably more like 15 to 20 years).

But it's very close to be a reality at 2k. And then we can foresee a time not too far-ish from now where it will be possible at 4k. I personally think the lost in image clarity of using upscaling and sharpening with full ray tracing versus native 8k will be worth it to gain a more vibrant and lifelike world in video games. Not for all games obviously certainly not for competitive twitch shooters but for a lot of games it will look better.

Now if we could only burn TAA with fire and have something better for native resolution i would certainly root for that. I laugh every time someone compare DLSS with native 4k TAA. Hey DLSS is not more blurry than native. Yeah right more like DLSS is not more blurry than awful TAA at any given resolution. God i hate TAA with a very strong passion. I heard some games implemented it right but i've yet to see any of them in action.

Exodite likes this.