VGA no display

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rap1021, Aug 12, 2020.

1. rap1021

rap1021 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 8 GB OC
    Hello,
    I have an Asus z270f and i7700k, with gtx 1080 and gskill trident z rgb 2x8gb.
    Lately I am having no display problems.
    It all started one morning about 2 months back, when I powered on the system and it gave me the VGA error light and 1 long and 3 short beeps.
    I thought maybe some problem with the GPU as the above symptoms were mentioned in the user manual as GPU error.

After all the testing I came to a conclusion that the PSU is dying since it was 7 years old and was experiencing a voltage drop 11.6 volts under normal browsing on chrome.

So, My new corsair hx750 platinum came and I installed it.
    Immediately, same problem with same beep codes and white led light.
    The mobo boot sequence is like this during the POST,
    Red > Yellow >White > Green

Red - CPU
    Yellow - Ram
    White - Vga
    Green - Boot device.

So when I press the power button, It goes red yellow and then stops at white, plays the beep codes mentioned above and then green and proceeds to boot into windows but with no display and white light is still on.

I unplugged the GPU, connected the monitor cable to the mobo hdmi, did a bios reflash and clear cmos but still it gives no vga detected at post with white light continuously on but boots into windows, as it loads the Corsair Icue lighting profiles for the fans and keyboard.

So, my question is, is it the mobo or the CPU that is bad.
    Now I am stuck with no Computer as both the things will not available to buy anywhere.

Please if anyone can come up with any kind of solution.

Edit -
    1. Forgot to mention that until yesterday, it would give the display after power cycling few times. But since today, there is nothing.

2. Also, I tried switching both the ram sticks ndividually into all the 4 slots.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Have you tried moving your 1080 to a different slot?

I'm guessing that you also tried different outputs from your 1080.

The power cycling and vga coming up at random would suggest bad caps on either the mobo or 1080, probably the mobo.

rap1021 likes this.
  3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If your CPU was bad, you wouldn't boot into windows.

There high chance of bad PCI-ex slot or GPU. Move video card to different PCI-ex slot.
    Also try using your iGPU of 7700k, just plug in monitor to mobo.

If you have disabled iGPU in CMOS, reset it.

rap1021 likes this.
  4. rap1021

rap1021 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 8 GB OC

I think you didnt read my full post.
    I have mentioned it that without the gpu also i am having the same problem with igpu.

5. rap1021

rap1021 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 8 GB OC
    Please read my post again, I have mentioned it that removing the gpu and plugging the monitor directly to mobo also didnt help it.

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I had issues in past HDMI won't be recognized from mobo. Try using DVI cable if you got 1 around.

rap1021 likes this.
  7. rap1021

rap1021 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 8 GB OC
    Already did all that.
    My mobo is giving beep codes 1 long and 3 short at post, It means no vga detected.
    It has nothing to do with hdmi or the monitor.

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    That's a shame.

Might as well check if your mobo still under warranty and apply for it. There should be some VGA output, if not, mention it, they should approve it.
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z270F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Warranty/