2080 Ti - Coil Whine?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by insp1re2600, Jul 2, 2020.

1. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    My 2080ti has worked flawless on an MSI X470 Motherboard for the past year,

Yesterday i swapped out the board for an MSI X570 Meg ACE board, and during high fps loads the gpu now has what appears to sound like coil whine.

Can that be a thing? swapping a motherboard will make the gpu have coil whine all of a sudden? I've not had that before.

Any reason to worry? as everything seems to be running perfectly other than the slight audible buzz at high gpu load.

Worth swapping out my rm850i to see if that helps?

Cheers.

2. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    try with the last board again.

3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    So i tried a 2070 super in the rig, can hear the same coil whinesque buzz under gpu load.
    both gpus work fine in a different rig. So im assuming its the board, thats causing this, unless the psu created an issue all of a sudden?

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Just to be sure, try both with the old board.

insp1re2600 likes this.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Tried with two diff x570s same coil whine, but none on a x470.

Tried with an rm850i and a hx1000i still same noise.

Repadded the 2080ti around the coils with thicker grizzly pads and it quietens it a bit.

I'll ride it out till 3 series.

6. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Same here. It was killing me TBH. Had Fury +z97 +5775C. High FPS - coil whine. But this was card only and not very audible. Something I got used too, especially as I played mostly with headphones. With speakers, well, barely audible. Then I changed gfx, to msi 1080 gaming x. Had slight coil whine too. Mind you, I always had sound blaster sound card, first ZX, then AE-5, and AE-7 lately. Windows7 or 10 was used in dualboot.
    Some 2y ago I changed platform to z370 Taichi +8086k. EVGA G2 PSU was used 550W and 750W now. Coil whine again. But now, I had this coil whine on speakers, louder settings more noticeable. (AE-5 and AE-7).
    Headphones audio was clean, no additional noise. Changed from 1080 to radeon7 - more FPS, more coil whine(speakers mostly driving me mad). In addition, my mobo suck at PCIE priorities, so when I have AE-7 in last slot -PCIE-16 instead PCIE-4 then I have GFX PCIE bandwidth halved from 16x to 8...and coil whine is no matter what slot is used. AND this is on Windows10 only, 7 is free of this crap...
    Now, since like month, I have 2080S....imagine, still coil whine :p
    For speakers I have to use it https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076J3GD74/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm strongly suspect that my PSU EVGA(leads with capacitors!) plus MB combination invokes coil whine, but might be wrong. In other PC, my old 1080 does not whine....and has different PSU there.
    On the other hand, my son's PC had for some time 1080(mainly vega64 was used) and with MSI z370 sli plus he had no coil whine. Same with nitro 5700xt now. His PSU is EVGA G2 850W...

7. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    yeah id tried a hx1000i and coil whine still occured, to be fair its lessened over the past week or so, plus i slightly raised my fan profile and its blended it in. so not noticable now. Maybe it had done it a while, but only noticed on a reinstall. No issue really. the card will be going when new series come out.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I also have trouble with coil whine, even on lower load. Out of the three 2080Tis I've had in my possession, this current one is the worst. I've also swapped from a X470 to a X570 board but I don't remember having out of the ordinary coil whine problems until I got my latest card.

Was quite interested if that PSU change did any good but you think that it's rather the pads than the PSU which have dampened the whine?

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  9. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Just listen to really, really, REALLY loud music until your ability to detect high-pitch sounds diminishes. Or maybe RMA the board?

DannyD likes this.
  10. Strange but I could have thought I read others had reported complaints of coil whine with their X570s but could had been a certain make/model and specific GPU, anyone else recall this or might this have simply been unique/coincidental?

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    This is...so...weird, I changed my case to a Phanteks P500A and the coilwhine is suddenly gone. I can't explain it.

12. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    psu swap didnt change anything sadly, corsair RMA'd my original rm850i too, so i took that to see, still no joy. figured i may aswell as the psu was 3 year old now.

not so easy when you have a year old baby in the house bro. Cant RMA, its 2 years old with a different cooler, palit dont support cooler swaps. Also Tried a Gigabyte Board and a MSI Board, coil whine on both.

maybe its just muffled more? my gpu is side mounted in a 680X but i tried normal position and running outside the case with a riser. no joy.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Since I swapped from a sound dampened Fractal Design Define S to a tempered glass Phanteks D500A, I'd say it should be the other way around :D

insp1re2600 likes this.
  14. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    i actually think its probably done it a while on mine but i haven't noticed due to variation in fan profile. i noticed when i reset the profiles to redo them.

alas, the card will be gone in a couple of month.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I hear it now again so its back :) Still less than before though.

insp1re2600 likes this.

16. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    It's somewhat luck of the draw if you get coil whine these days or not. Higher power parts are slightly more likely to coil whine by nature especially when pushed.
    @insp1re2600 consider RMA'ing the motherboard, downclocking the 2080 by a few dozen mhz / undervolting if possible (DO stability tests to be sure!), or limiting your frames to 60 or so (or 75hz or whatever the lowest you can stand is), or keeping amp volume low but volume output* on your PC high (this pushes the noise floor further away making the coil whine through speakers less amplified).
    Buying a sound card sometimes helps, especially if unplugging your speakers seems to clear it (it can come through speakers, or come out of the case physically itself).
    The coil whine is an audible pop with each frame as the power circuitry sends it's voltage to the gpu parts that need it. The higher the fps, the more you'll hear that pop until it goes from a low rumble to a buzzing bee to a screaming half-crushed rat at 120+ fps, to downright deafening at 200~300fps. To that end, overclocking (can cause** if not pre-existing) generally will amplify or worsen coil whine issues.
    Any part with a good amount of power circuitry in it (power supply, motherboard, video card, normally but not always limited to these 3 items) can cause it. One 2080 Ti might do it and the other not, one motherboard might do it and the other not so much, one power supply might magnify existing coil whine or lessen it vs others. Even multiple cards across the same batch of cards of the same model / same manufacturer can be wildly different. Some people never hear it. By contrast I had a GTX 260 XXX Black Edition SLI machine about a dozen years ago and the coil whine was so loud you could hear it upstairs and 3 rooms away at normal volume. Switching over to an nvidia GTX 470 with a custom board stopped it entirely in it's tracks. I also had a cheaper Enermax high-end 1000 gigawatt power supply that did it too (circa 2006~2009 or so, Galaxy series IIRC, Newegg sold them). One thing I remember very clear though, is not missing coil whine one bit since I got rid of it.
    I don't care how good a component is, if it coil whines louder than the low hum of the fans, it's GONE. I do a lot of 3D modeling work here and if it did coil whine loud, it'd be enough to make you go nuts.
    *Just don't put the volume output of your PC too high or you could get clipping on the output especially on motherboard audio.
    **Overclocking can cause coil whine but only while overclocked, this is not permanent, and will be gone as soon as your overclock is cleared. It can also worsen existing coil whine.
    For those that remember, when the AMD 5xxx series 'Terascale' cards debuted some 12 years or so ago, they had a big splash with 'all digital vrm' that claimed to heavily reduce / eliminate 'coil whine'.

All brands and classes of motherboards, power supplies, and especially video cards can ALL have coil whine, from the cheapest ones to the most expensive ones. It will be worse if/when the design is pushed closer to or about at it's limits.

Anyone remember the STALKER game series menu screen if they had an SLI rig or a super-powerful GPU??? My computer sounded like an electrocuted guinea pig "REEEEEEEEEEEE!!!" back in 2008~2009 or so.

insp1re2600 likes this.