Horizon Zero Dawn

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Just like Death Stranding game require AVX instructions to run it so unlucky for X58 owners.

2. Pale Horseman

Pale Horseman Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus Master 4090
    I managed to get above 100 FPS @1440p after reducing cloud to medium, motion blur to off, and reflections to high. Everything else maxed out. Runs great, but certainly has the frame pacing issues from time to time and some ground features will pop in really wonky... like patches of snow suddenly melting and revealing rocks the closer you get to them. I think I will put this on hold until they release a patch.

I also need to update my profile.... :oops:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

XenthorX likes this.
  3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Just an update on my experiences with this game so far after 10 hours of playtime...

I made a couple of changes to my external Samsung 860 QVO SSD to first enable the write-caching policy for better performance and also to create a system-managed pagefile on the SSD (this was to fix an issue with Horizon crashing on exiting).

Unless this is just placebo and in my head then it seems to have improved the overall performance of the game. It still cannot achieve a locked 60 fps at 1440p; it seems to be mostly 52-57 fps annoyingly during open-world traversal with dips down to the high 30s fps during busier combat scenarios and in NPC heavy town areas. It only hits 60 fps during cinematic cutscenes and the numerous NPC dialogue cutscenes. Even with G-SYNC it does not feel smooth although stuttering is minimal; sometimes the game will occassionally "hiccup" and freeze for a split-second but it rare and happens only once per 2 hours of gameplay. This is on the Ultimate Quality preset by the way with a 60 fps cap set in RTSS.

I have tried the lower presets but, oddly, they still do not improve the game's performance to allow for a locked 60 fps. It's very strange really but GPU usuage can be as high as 98% and CPU usage around 60-70% so it looks like my system is likely the bottleneck here. It was built in June 2013 after all, coincidentally not far off the release of the PS4 itself, and I've had a good run. I will be building a new PC next year once AMD's Ryzen 4000 CPUs are released and NVIDIA and AMD's new ray-tracing cards are out. I see no point in building one now before the PS5 and Xbox Series X are out as that will be when there will be a need for more powerful PC hardware, especially having an NVMe SSD.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  4. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    So a sure way to get AF working is to delete the shader cache after forcing 16x in the driver. Once it rebuilds it should be without graphical glitches. You can find the shader cache in 'Horizon Zero Dawn\LocalCacheDX12' called PSOCache.bin.

6. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Great game with smooth performance but hdr is borked, dull. I cannot have it enabled without washed colors in full screen and borderless. Meanwhile in windowed colors pop up, it's an incredible game. I don't know if windows 10 have anything to do with it. The only thing I envy consoles it's the perfect hdr since day one.

7. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Aye.

Hopefully the dawn of OLED monitors will lead to this being fixed by Microsoft (so too their apparent refocus on Windows as a gaming platform)

itpro likes this.
  8. Pale Horseman

Pale Horseman Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus Master 4090
  9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This Reddit poster jumped the gun and now he looks like a fool for it.

The crashes were occurring due to invalid texture access, a bug fixed in 451.85, I dread the feedback manuel's going to go through tomorrow XD

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    One of the advice for fixing crashes in the game is to downgrade from 451.85 so yeah if that's there to resolve crashes of some kind that's going to be a issue too.
    Some sort of patch appears to be happening at least and hopefully that starts resolving some of the problems, bugs and inconsistencies on the game side and maybe there won't be too much requirement on resolving the driver side of things. :)

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that aside, dev/publisher rush game out to before properly debuging and Q/A there game which why so many game have day one patchs let alone the game that release broke as crap. AC unity hell ac unit had day one patch on xbox that full download of the game again, Batman arkahm knight was release in such bad state there were refunds issued pc side of things.

Granted it not as bad these days but dev/pub push game out before there really ready specially the bigger publisher tend to do this

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  14. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Question, will this work on Win 10 x64 15063/V.1703(RS2/-RTM)?

Cause it didn't specify on which win 10 x64 build to use at the bare min.

I know the game needs a specific driver version, I used a 392.xx Branch(Newest Drivers) I have bypassed the driver requirement popup but getting an error right during startup, says:

Unfortunately the game has crashed. Do you want to help us fix the issue by sending a crash report?

And yes, Tried it under 1 Gpu mode, and even lowered the amount of cpu cores(Can affect on some games from starting up), no luck.

EDIT: Used drivers 451.67, Still getting the error during starup, Guessing its the Win 10 x64 build.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  15. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I am either one of the lucky ones or just not that bothered by issues that other folk would notice but so far the game has suffered no issues what so ever on my 2070Super 3700x rig. No noticeable stutter other than some jankyness in the cut scenes, even the early part with all the people having that pre trial celebration didn't suffer from any noticeable issues, other than some NPCs obviously jumping in to place if you turned round suddenly.

I am interested though in just how hard it is hitting my GPU. I am not doing any software or data gathering in game but what I am noticing is that HWinfo's temp monitor (temp max) is showing shockingly low after running ZHD, like 20c lower than most other games after a session, other than that the game seems to be rock solid at 60FPS so far.

I am also running the game on a pretty old GPU driver, mostly because I don't really update my GPU drivers unless there is a specific need to do so.

itpro likes this.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  17. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    By the way so much negativity for nothing. Both DBH and HZD play smoothly in my rig. I don't talk about the heights of benchmarks, I mean pure fluidity. Those two masterpieces are the best games visually in game industry at the moment before Cyberpunk 2077 and Valhalla release.

18. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    What win 10 x64 version build your using? Many thanks.

19. macatak

macatak Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6950
    ran the benchmark at Ultimate Quality
    2nd run (gpu @ operating temp)
    hzd.jpg
    High
    hzdhigh.jpg
    no manual OC's
    can't hold solid 60 fps during gameplay @ Ultimate Quality, had to lower Shadows to High
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28962252

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  20. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Snow deformation isn’t bugged, the base game on PS4 didn’t have it, it was introduced with the Frozen Wilds DLC and is present on both PS4 and PC in the Frozen Wilds area of the map.

Darren Hodgson and JonasBeckman like this.