Understanding why my Ryzen 3600 is at 4025Mhz During Cinebench

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Slinkyminx, Aug 7, 2020.

1. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    thing is with 1v wont even boot lol what to talk about prime95, my proc needs like 1.3v at least to run anything on multicore

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    They are strange fish indeed.

Was my Cinebench figure up to par?

3. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    3577 the multicore

Mufflore likes this.
  4. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I actually mentioned this to you in another thread but I think you missed it buddy. Literally this exact thing lol

I am no cinebench expert but my r20 is 3617 - and seemingly at near 200Mhz lower clock speed than you.

Check the very last post https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/switched-from-x570-to-b450.433569/

This is something I was informed was an important part of Ryzen offset testing not just stability. Run cinebench, note score, set offset, run again, repeat until you lose performance (or stability?)

I'm no expert but like dude said earlier Ryzen is full of tricks

Mufflore likes this.

5. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    @Mufflore

I don't have a 6-core, my CPU is a 3700X, and I'm getting 4850-4950 depending on how hot it is in the room.
    This would result in 3600'ish for just 6 cores instead of 8.

So, your score of 3000 is actually very low, which is consistent with my own testing:
    Lowering voltage actually forces the CPU to run at lower clocks internally, resulting in loss of performance.

p.s.
    I've actually seen this argument on many forums "Hey I can lower my voltage and it runs much cooler !"
    ... only for someone else to point out that "yea, but it actually runs slower. Have you benchmarked?"

Reset your settings, go stock, and benchmark again.
    Then benchmark again for every 0.1v you subtract, you'll notice it loses performance for each.

My suggestion:
    Stop tinkering with voltage, you achieve nothing. Just leave your CPU on default, it knows what to do to achieve best performance and efficiency right from the factory.
    Actual performance gains (in games) can be obtained by tuning the memory (Use @1usmus calculator)

AsiJu, Mufflore, chinobino and 2 others like this.
  6. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I think the takeaway here, is leave shizzle alone and invest in serious cooling.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I didnt grasp what you meant and didnt watch the video (I dont watch videos unless I understand why they are worth watching).
    Thanks for the headsup now though :)

Slinkyminx likes this.
  8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    OK guys, I see what you are saying.
    I've been overclocking for well over 30 years and havent ever seen shenanigans when you cant trust the reported clock speed!
    I remember reading advice for other people about leaving everything alone on Ryzen, now I understand the depth of it.

Thank you all for your help.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    AsiJu and Slinkyminx like this.
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I will comply ;)

10. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    That's no problem mate the video was nothing to do with it - my post wasn't laid out very well

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The real Cinebench a la Ryzen 3600 with voltage on auto ...

Score 3616
    Reported core speed 4050MHz
    Max reported voltage 1.317V
    Temp settled at 71C for the short duration of the test.
    (I'll see how hot it gets with Prime95 now, eek!)

19.5% higher score.
    Woo.
    Cheers guys :)

Good job I bought this Gammaxx cooler, its not too bad.

AsiJu likes this.
  12. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    I've been doing that... maybe not for 30 years, but for 20, used Intel CPUs for the most part.
    Intel CPUs which simply crash if they have incorrect voltage for the incorrect speed.

The new Ryzen is more like "Fine, I'll still continue to work with the smaller salary, but slower !"
    It was a surprise to me as well.

Don't worry about temps, the internal CPU logic system takes that into consideration as well, and will not run hotter than it's designed.

You would be surprised that these operate even without a cooler AT ALL on them ! (Naked IHS)
    Just extremely, extremely slow...

AsiJu and Mufflore like this.
  13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Prime95 result, using latest version.

Topped out at 3950MHz, occasional drop to 3925MHz
    84C after 30 mins and remained there, Ambient 27C, fan on full.
    1.373V or lower on Auto.

After 54mins added an extra fan to the cooler, temps immediately dropped to 82C and there it sits.
    Oh yes, drawing 173W from the mains.

14. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    There is one safe and simple way to limit power+heat with these chips (if it bothers you):

Go to Control mode and choose PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive), but instead of setting a higher PPT, put a lower.
    For example, 45W, or even 25W if you want to !

The chip will limit it's voltage and performance automatically so it tries to fit into the PPT that you set. (leave TDC/EDC on auto)
    Then later if it's not so hot outside or you get a bigger cooler, put a bigger number there.
    Easy peasy.

p.s. It also has the advantage of not limited single-thread performance by artificially limiting clocks via forced low volts !

AsiJu likes this.
  15. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Zen 2 behaves differently to a typical Intel CPU when undervolted and won't bluescreen in the same way. I'd suggest running cinebench 15 and 20 both single and multicore after applying an undervolt. Don't use p95 to test stability with Zen 2, clock stretching will still make it run at lower temps but in anything else you will be losing performance.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    LEAVE IT ALONE.

That is the best advice anyone can give you on Ryzen CPU's. Just make sure you have good airflow, and cooling and then let the motherboard and CPU do what it wants. Keep drivers and bios up to date and make sure you have Ryzen Balanced Profile enabled in power options.

Boost revolves around so many factors, single core load, multicore load, voltages, power delivery, heat. Just leave it on auto for the best of both worlds. My 3900X does 4.65GHz boost but only on like 2 cores and its for a brief time mostly its around 4.2.4.4GHz and when fully loaded it hovers around the 4.0-4.1GHz mark. I can do 4.3GHz all core but it requires like 1.46v+ and heat becomes insane to the point where its not viable.

If you want super low temps when just browsing net or watching movies, etc select the Windows Power Saver profile and set the max CPU to 56%. This locks the CPU to 2.2GHz and a low 0.6-0.9vcore. This isn't the lowest C-state the CPU can go but it keeps things low enough that temps stay low and solid and not erratic and this gives more than enough performance to browse net, watch movies, and even play some low end games. Then just switch over to Ryzen Balanced for normal gaming or doing heavier workloads. This helps if you live in a super hot area, like here in the UK we are having 30-35C days.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My belief is the reported clockspeed is genuine when running at lower voltage, there is some other internal power saving occurring.
    ie taking 2 passes to perform certain operations which means part of the core can be disabled, 2 possible ways to reduce power as well as the reduced voltage so major parts of the chip have enough power left to stay alive, that kind of thing.

I am not really bothered by the heat or power use, it is what it is.
    But I do try to get it as low as possible while maintaining full performance.
    I can see this is going to be quite the adventure lol!

A good thing about this Gammaxx cooler, I dont need to use the 1uS power plan to stop the fan speed changing a lot because I can barely hear it anyway until it ramps up high under load.
    I dont notice it changing speed at idle even though it does.

If it wasnt so damn hot today, and O'Sullivan vs Ding snooker wasnt on I'd do some more research.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats why you do some research before messing up with clocks and voltages. This isnt your typical intel platform. Ryzen is the most unusual platform i've been using in a very long time and still learning some tricks.

Slinkyminx likes this.
  19. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    when you guys are using low voltages are you looking at effective clocks and not core clocks only?

at 1.2 the cores say up to 4150 but all clocks are actually 3.3xx

Attached Files:

HandR and GREGIX like this.
  20. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Nice find!

Passus likes this.