RivaTuner : Some system components cannot be hooked right now.

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Hansen, Aug 6, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hansen

Hansen Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 380
    Having Problem with the latest MSI Afterburner 4.63 Beta 1.

It results in
    riva_tuner_hook_issue.png

Unsightly startup error message. Is there logging for the rivatuner to fix or disable this message?
    The FPS counter is working. It is just this message problem.

Using Windows 10 version 2004 build 20180.1000

SoppingClam likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    2004 is 19041.xxx, you are on a 21hX insider build, not supported.

3. Hansen

Hansen Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 380
    Well, it is working fine. Just the annoying startup message. And this Windows build will be likely released end of the year.
    Is there logging where I can check or debug the issue?

4. Hansen

Hansen Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 380
    I got this error after manually starting rivatuner and setup some settings.
    I wonder is it due to Steam issues and vulkan driver query.

Faulting application name: vulkandriverquery.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f2b55bd
    Faulting module name: RTSSVkLayer32.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f046962
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000014f7
    Faulting process ID: 0x131d4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d66ba0b3578ff8
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\vulkandriverquery.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\Vulkan\RTSSVkLayer32.dll
    Report ID: 63039a04-ff22-4fb1-881d-3e9e31bdcb04
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It is not just an annoying message. And it is NOT working fine at all, if the message is displayed. The message guarantees that everything hooking related (including OSD) will not work for sure for some version of Direct3D API. This includes any Direct3D version supported by RTSS starting from Direct3D7 up to modern Direct3D12, each one in both 32-bit and 64-bit variations. Lack of hardware acceleration support for each of listed versions will result in that message. Unablilty to hook each of listed Direct3D versions due to running application is sandbox or application compatibility layer will result in that message. You may suppress the message with Silent=1 in [Settings] section of .\ProfileTemplates\Config, but it won't fix the problem. OSD will not work for affected API. You may find affected API by examining [FnOffsetCache] contents inside .\Profiles\Config. Uninitialized function offsets will be zero, their names will reflect affected API.

> And this Windows build will be likely released end of the year.

And that's also a good reason to understand why there is no (and will NEVER be) support early insider OS builds. It is still in development and it WILL change many times till it reach RTM state. Due to the same reason GPU vendors will NOT have official compatible drivers now for actively changing OS branch. Due to the same reason applications relying on display drivers will not support it too, until OS gets final.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    SoppingClam and WhiteLightning like this.
  6. Hansen

Hansen Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 380
    I see.
    Thanks for the silent settings. It helps!

7. maffle

maffle Member

GPU:
    gtx970
    @Hansen What did you do to fix the crash of Steams vulkandriverquery.exe ? I have the same issue.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    @Unwinder I've noticed that with the default RTSS task schedule, that this error is thrown on W10 at login, but works fine if you exit and restart, can a small delay be added to the schedule since this cannot be done by the user without RTSS rewriting the task on RTSS.exe exit

OS is 19041.487.

My guess is that somehow with all the crap windows is loading with its gamebar and the task bar and crap that theres a clash involved with starting rtss immediately

This has only been happening recently so i suspect updates to the gamebar are involved.

I have tested a 10s delay and it stops the error.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  9. Unwinder

I’ll peek into it later, Ampere compatible beta is the primary focus for the next couple weeks.

Astyanax likes this.
  10. maffle

maffle Member

GPU:
    gtx970
    @Unwinder What is causing the vulkandriverquery.exe crash of Steam with module RTSSVkLayer32.dll ? How do I work around it? Seems to happen since one of the last Steam updates.

11. Unwinder

I clearly said that I’m focused on more important things now. Sorry, I have better tasks than repeating endless “use search“ over and over again.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    take it up with the steam beta group

13. DeathCoreLeo

DeathCoreLeo Guest

GPU:
    gtx1070
    Cant find bugreport theme for Afterburner...

MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 1 build15777 + new KB4571744 + dx12 = crash game (The Division 1)

14. Unwinder

Do I need to close the thread to stop people bumping it with COMPLETELY unrelated issues?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.