AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.8.1 drivers: Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrEzi, Aug 4, 2020.

1. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    https://wccftech.com/first-horizon-zero-dawn-pc-patch-amd-driver/

This is why we have Games support in general & game profiles.

MerolaC and itpro like this.
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    So some readup later and it looks like OpenCL is still problematic for Navi citing display glitches still happening, OpenGL has a breaking bug with instancing and numerous extensions for OGL 4.0 as a result as well from what that issue is causing and game specifics there at least something with Pro Evolution Soccer 2020 either crashes or hits some black screen error although the black screen reports persists for various situations from gaming to just idle desktop stuff so that one continues to be a hard to track problem.

Vulkan bug with the shader compilation reported with ReShade should still be active and enhanced sync remains unstable with various reports for that and games like Call of Duty which has it's own issues but it seems disabling E.Sync made it start up.
    ...Which just continues to be a thing I guess and AMD can't even change it so it defaults to disabled despite almost a year with it as a stability problem.

VA FreeSync sensitivity to flickering and well the open issues list from the release notes. (Which also notes this issue but links it to task switching specifically.)

EDIT: Some useful fixes too not to forget about that or anything but that known issues list is getting very problematic especially when it's going from months to a year now for some of the entries.

Also I am pretty sure the workaround with disabling ULPS and Navi clock speeds falling to idle levels and very large framerate dips has also been resolved but I can't say for certain and some API's are more sensitive to it also.

Jackalito, mentor07825 and LocoDiceGR like this.
  3. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I had VA FreeSync flickering problems. I thought it was just the VA panel, unless I misunderstood your acronym? It was really bad, even carried itself over to the desktop after ending a video game. Had to pull the DisplayPort from the GPU and put it back in to get it to stop. I changed to an IPS panel and I haven't seen the problem since.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah it's the VA panels and from what I can find it looks like it's more common if not exclusive for this type of panel at least when it comes to this particular FreeSync problem and high-refresh rate ones would also be a more recent development.

With that those panels would also have a higher chance to be part of the displays on the list of FreeSync2 certified displays meaning it would be both newer panels and under AMD's newer guidelines and criteria for this standard so as a result there should be fewer hardware side issues.

Not sure why it happens though but it looks to be something in the drivers at least as a common recommendation is to downgrade to a earlier set until AMD resolves the problem fully.

EDIT: Edited the wording a bit, hopefully acknowledging this issue in the release notes now means that when AMD does resolve it the flicker problem is fixed and it's not a case of multiple separate VRR or FreeSync issues.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020

5. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Not a single issue with my VA panel and Freesync Premium Pro. I'll pass the amateurish annoying rumors.

DanielRX likes this.
  6. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    I have not had that issue since around february

DanielRX and JonasBeckman like this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Freesync work just fine with Va panel over hdmi. Had no issues whatsever. Driver installed fine gonna do some testing with these.

mentor07825, OnnA and itpro like this.
  8. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Let us know what you think. I was using the Samsung VA 27 inch HDR 144hz panel and the flickering was annoying. Granted, I did this through DP. Those issues are behind me though, since I've replaced the monitor with an IPS one due to the power brick losing power. Through warranty I got money back in the form of credit and the rest is history.

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    It can happen. I remember a support case of where a customer is a big Guild Wars 2 fan, and was involved in their Open Beta. The game after an update stopped working, because of a driver bug in the existing and previous NVIDIA releases. By the time I got the laptop, a new driver was released which addressed the bug.

So yes, it's possible that a game won't work unless you use a driver release for that game, or later.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    itpro likes this.
  10. Lipici

Lipici Member

GPU:
    Nah, not resolved. Dont believe everything you read without testing.

JonasBeckman likes this.

11. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Though I agree, I believe it is a rare occasion. Usually performance lifting-up from special drivers is marginal or minimal at best. I feel like updating only when issues or visual corruption arises from older versions. I cannot count how many games I finished before installing those targeted drivers. :p

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    They are just optimized drivers, and advertised as such. More or less "This driver is confirmed to work with (new game) and is optimized for performance on that game." And usually a couple of new performance tweaks get into a later driver release. Of course with older releases the core functionality is all there, and you can play, assuming no driver conflicts. It just means the new release has the maker's Seal of Approval.

OnnA and itpro like this.
  13. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    The issue occurs when the driver keeps FreeSync enabled for desktop usage, it probably doesn't signal correctly to turn it off again after closing/switching away from the game.
    I can instantly reproduce this by starting Mirror's Edge D3D9 from 2009 and have reported it via the integrated feedback tool. Let's see when they'll ever manage to fix it.
    It shouldn't be directly linked to VA panels, they just flicker more than IPS when there are sudden big changes in refresh rate.

mentor07825 likes this.
  14. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Uhmm.... I know this question might sound really dumb... but by any chance have you tried to set the refresh rate to anything other then default in windows (using the old interface for advanced settings of monitor in windows where you can choose different refresh rates via dropdown). Anything other that defauls refresh or the max reported refresh you should try.
    Might sound really dumb - I know.... but I just want to exclude all of the possibilities.

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    That happens with me, after watching a video fullscreen or gaming, the desktop flickers like when FreeSync is enabled. Ctrl-Alt-Win-B for the fix.

PrEzi likes this.

16. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Ahhh ok.... might be the lucky person who chose IPS panels in the last 4 years.... before that I've had also an MVA panel.... well... it seems the drivers still need a lot of work, even if I am happy that they have finally fixed the black screen issues for me (needing 5 months for nailing all down).... Oh well... I really do hope they will get their sh**t together when launching RDNA2.... cause software problems can lead veeeery quick to a dumpster fire and a lot of lost sales and rma's...and really bad PR again....

17. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    And there are a few times when the devs want you to use a later driver and having the game tell you to update the driver before allowing you to run it

There's also a problem for cards with Legacy drivers when an old game that gets updated yearly gets a major change in the engine, and it breaks with the old drivers' older profile. I think World of Tanks is one game that got some attention for that.

18. Lipici

Lipici Member

GPU:
    Dosent sount dumb, its dumb but i tried and makes no difference. Even changed the refresh rate for freesync, lowered from 45 to 35 and still the same thing. Custom resolution from driver interface, same thing. Flickers all the way like a thunder.

19. P.O.N.

P.O.N. Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4080
    Works fine, no issue so far. My first positive comment in a long time for AMD Driver.
    I got my best benchs so far (Vega64, i7-4790k@4.4GHz, DDR3-2200)
    TimeSpy: 6.926
    Metro Exodus (1080p, Ultra, Hairworks off): 66.28 fps
    Borderlands 3 (1080p, Ultra): 78.93
    Waiting for Vega's HAGS

OnnA, Krteq and DanielRX like this.
  20. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    With rx580. If i restart my machine the aspm of the Ellesmere high definition audio is disabled as intended. When i shutdown my machine (hybrid windows 10 shutdown) and then start it again it enables aspm support for the high definition audio even if it is disabled in bios.
    After restart aspm:
    -https://ibb.co/5sVXhHj [​IMG]

After hybrid shutdown aspm:
    -https://ibb.co/b7C1Lv2 [​IMG]