Framerate (avg, 1% low, 0.1% low) not working

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by EpsilonsQc, Aug 5, 2020.

1. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Like the title said, monitoring of Framerate Avg, Framerate Min, Framerate Max, Framerate 1% Low, Framerate 0.1% Low are not working / not monitoring any data for me.

Is their something i'm missing that need to be activated or ?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  2. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Don't mind me, I've found the reason why. I just needed to start the benchmark recording.

[​IMG]

3. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Well, when I let the benchmark run in the background, I lose +/- 20 FPS so if that impact performance so much, doesn't that make the data irrelevant ?

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It is not true.

EpsilonsQc likes this.

5. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I'm starting to think my Sapphire card is REALLY sensible to data monitoring.

Get 120-125 FPS without benchmark on
    Drop to 100-105 FPS and stay there as soon as I activate the benchmark.

I increased the hardware pooling rate from 1000ms to 2000ms and it was still the same performance hit.

Might try to set it to 5000ms later to see if it fare any better in term of perf hit.

6. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    In MSI AB detach monitoring window
    right click, select "show profiler panel"

Now watch the profiler panel which sources takes most time.
    Hit the hotkey to start benchmark and have a look if anything changes in the profiler panel.
    Don't forget to stop benchmark again.
    On my (definitely old) computer there is no (visible) difference between benchmark off and benchmark on.
    If there is anything which takes too much time you may want to exclude it from the monitoring.

EpsilonsQc likes this.
  7. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Will take a look into that, thank you!

8. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Why is GPU Temperature monitoring taking so much time (16+ ms) ?
    That's basically the number one thing I want to see.
    Sad if I have to disable it. Is this normal behavior ?

[​IMG]

9. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Hmm, as soon as I disable GPU Temperature monitoring, another monitored thing start to take 16ms, what is going on here ?
    If I disable the other thing that take 16ms, another thing start to take 16ms, and so on and so forth.
    Merely a bug in the profiler or am I out of touch with how this work?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  10. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    Note that each of those is from the 5700 XT.

Maybe the problem isn't with any single data source, but the AMD driver? Then one of the items (the one accessed first, the last, or one at random) gets the blame.

As a test, you could try disabling all data sources related to the GPU.

EpsilonsQc likes this.

11. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Well yes, but I want to benchmark the Framerate, Frametime, Framerate Avg, Framera 1% Low, Framerate 0.1% Low, Framerate Max, Framerate Min which are all related to the RX 5700 XT, so i'm outta luck I guess.

Also, i'm not sure if 16ms is a problem or not, will need to wait see what Unwinder have to say about that.

12. Unwinder

That’s absolutely not a bug of profiler, that’s a bug in understanding of power user oriented profiler functionality. It is intended for experienced users only, understanding how the system works.
    GPU related sensors cannot be polled independently in AMD driver / Overdrive8, AMD reads all sensors available on GPU even if you need just 1 temperature. So it is always cumulative value for all GPU sensors for the first listed GPU related sensor in the list. The rest GPU readings are precached and taken from cache immediately.

13. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Awesome, thank you for the explanation.

Basically, 16ms for whatever the 1st value on the profiler is, that's normal and expected right? And not supposed to tank performance/FPS when benchmark is activated to monitor framerate behavior (1% low, 0.1% low, min, max) ?

14. Unwinder

You're making a total mess in understandinhg. Benchmark mode is NOT related to polling internal GPU sensors. And it has NO impact on the system.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    EpsilonsQc likes this.
  15. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Thanks for your reply.

I guess I gived too much importance at the reply from Andy_K in this thread.

For the "no performance impact", i'll upload a small YT video later. My FPS does tank by 20-25 as soon as benchmark is enabled and jump back up by 20-25 as soon as I disable the benchmark.

Hardware polling rate set to 2000ms
    Fan control polling rate to 5000ms
    Temp hysteresis is set to 5C
    Step mode fan control is activated

Not sure how to optimize performance even more honestly. Nothing is running in the background except the game + msi ab + rtss

16. Unwinder

Please learn how to use app first. Benchmark mode is FREE in terms of perfomance, it do nothing but just allow recording current framerate as min/max. It doesn't affect performance at all. And you're not the only person using the benchmark. I have nothing more to add to this thread, sorry. I'd like to avoid killng vacation on complete nonsense, free time is way too expensive,

EpsilonsQc likes this.