NVIDIA Ampere cards well under way for a release in September? Flagship 50% faster?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2020.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Didn't Nvidia have issues with Turing sales partially due to the insane pricing? The problem is that AMD behaves as a duopoly with them, so they will settle in a nice cadence between them. You can see it on the pricing of the original Navi cards, that really didn't challenge Nvidia on the pricing front at all.

Neo Cyrus and FranciscoCL like this.
  2. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I doubt any of those cards is 1 dollar cheaper than the launch price of the 2000 series equivalent. at least 50$ more expensive 70 vs 70, 80 vs 80 and so on....

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tbh if double the cu and refined rdna architecture ended up only at 2080ti level or just tad over it. I would be extremely disappointed. Now what I could see is 30% faster than 2080ti.

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    A 50% performance increase, not bad. Now they just need to cut their prices by 20%...

Maddness likes this.

5. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    gddr6х what? it is not even announced

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Last time was 50% increase in prices for 20% increase in performance and now you are expecting the other way around? Nah.

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    From all of the leaks, I've seen it varies between 15% to 30%. Some say that it's only 15% on optimized titles - so I guess time will tell.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    A man can still dream, right?...

Undying likes this.
  9. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Those TDP figures don't look so good imo, is Nvidia the new Intel?
    Price wise, I think it will be the same. With the rumours around NAVI, I don't think they can spike it much higher.
    Let's hope AMD makes a comeback, it's rumoured RDNA2.0 will have a full line-up and I'm looking forward to it!

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Honestly I'm kind of curious how much TDP matters to people if you can properly cool it. Back in the day with the GTX480 for example, it was 250w and everyone called it a furnace, need nuclear power plant to turn it on, fry an egg on it, etc - but now 250w is normal, kind of low even. If Nvidia came out with a 600w TDP card that they could effectively keep at 70c but performance scaled well to 600w, would you want it? I would. I have a 1000w PSU - if SLI scaled perfectly I'd get two 300w cards and not bat an eye, but it doesn't - so why am I worried about 1, 600w card if it's temperatures are reasonable?

With Intel it's a bit different because AMD is essentially punching pretty close in performance for literally half the power. If RDNA2 releases and it's 220w or something and it's performing identical to Nvidia's 350w GPU - then I think people are going to say similar things. But if the Nvidia GPU is 40% faster for 40% higher power, and it's temperature with stock cooler is like 70 or whatever normal temps are for fan'd GPUs these days, I personally couldn't careless.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Bet the Supers will be 7nm refresh. It may be worth it to wait on that.

Cooling is always the reason I personally bring up TDP.

12. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    of course it matters,and 320w cards are a crazy idea let alone 350w
    my 2070S Trio is dead silent,but it still warms up the room.would really prefer a 160-180W card,the lower the better.
    it's not that bad as that time I had a 980Ti OC and 4790K OC.This combo could turn the room into a sauna in a couple of hours.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I wouldn't consider it "really low". I think "barely sufficient" is a better way to describe it, because most games don't demand that much VRAM but they can get pretty close.

Well that's the thing: can it actually be properly cooled without throttling? GPUs are much harder to properly cool than CPUs, which is a bit ironic considering they tend to be more power hungry. But even if you can keep the GPU properly cool, that doesn't mean everyone wants to tolerate the fan noise, a big chonky PC, or have all that heat dumped into the room. Remember too - more effective (and quieter) cooling solutions tend to be more expensive, too.
    Keep in mind, I'm not super picky about fan nose. My gaming PC is loud enough to make a lot of people here scoff. But even I have my limits, and some high-wattage GPUs are pretty obnoxious.
    Yes, if the power draw goes up at most proportionately with performance, I don't think that's so bad, especially if it can be properly cooled with reasonable fan noise. But, I would say this is a little contradictory to your last point. If wattage isn't as important as you suggest, why didn't you go for Intel? Assuming the price difference was the reason, let's pretend for a moment your 3900X was roughly the same price as a 9920X - would that have changed what you bought? The 9920X does run a lot hotter, but getting proper cooling isn't that tough and you can push it to be faster than a 3900X.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Okay but again if it scales then who cares? Buy the 150w card in that range, right?

I don't know? Maybe? The 480 couldn't at 250w but now Nvidia can easily do it at 300w. We suspect Ampere is getting a new cooler design that's pretty radically different - so maybe this can?

But if it scales, again same point as malkin - just don't buy it, go for a lower watt one? I don't expect this thing to scale perfectly but my point is if it punches up the performance a lot for just 50w and it's running at reasonable temperatures I couldn't careless what it's TDP is. If it's 350w and 90c and throttling like crazy, barely outperforming RDNA2, then yeah I'm going to care.

Why is it contradictory? Wattage is important and I never said it wasn't, it's just of less importance than performance for me.

Like let's say I have a GPU that can get 100fps in Cyberpunk @ 400w vs one that does 50fps @ 200w at half the price. I'm going to take the 400w one.

On the flipside let's say I have a GPU that gets 100fps in Cyberpunk @ 400w, then one that gets 90fps in Cyberpunk @ 250w but are the same price. I'm going to take the 250w one.

PlatinumPanther likes this.
  15. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    if you need 350w cards then something definitely doesn't scale
    anyway,I call BS on those tdp numbers,they are same as tbp numbers from an old leak that somebody just threw in the microwave oven for clicks.neither do I believe in gddr6x

320w rtx3080 cards,that'd be just GREAT :eek:

[​IMG]

Noisiv likes this.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    But I don't see why that's true. Like obviously I have no idea if these cards are going to be 350w TDP or not but I just don't get why people are calling it a problem before seeing the cards..

250w seemed insane for a while and now it's normal. Why can't 350w be the new normal for top end cards? You're saying you don't want the heat - but then just buy a 250w card. It's not like the 250 watt card would get the 350w card performance if the 350w didn't exist lol

17. Scoica

Scoica Active Member

GPU:
    rx 580 xxx
    cyberpunk maybe? just 3 months left
    anyway, for me the real game changer seems to be DLSS. combine that with RT and ultra sets, I don't see how any Navi can compete with it

PrMinisterGR and PlatinumPanther like this.
  18. TZO2K11

TZO2K11 Guest

GPU:
    AMDHD6950<r9290x<GTX1080
    Sticking with gamer's nexus info on this one as this leak doesn't even include the 3080 ti's VRAM which is rumored at 12 gb, as far as price, I can see the 3080ti debuting at least $1.5k MSRP!

19. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I wasn't really talking about performance,I was replying that a 350w card is a lot to a guy who asked if 350w seemed a lot to people.
    not really talking to you about scaling.

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    AMD got em beat this time. :p