Xbox One Wired Controller for PC help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by milamber, Jul 7, 2020.

1. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I just want to replace my current genuine one that's playing up (preferably black) but they are $70 in stores. I could have sworn I paid less last time but maybe that's just my memory playing up.

Looking on ebay it's mostly branded, unbranded or enhanced controllers in a multitude of colors. Some are different shapes which I definitely don't want. I have no clue if any of them are good quality. I will be using it wired only, don't want a cable longer than 2m and I already have thumb grips ready to go.

This one is really cheap but unbranded.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-N...347911?hash=item2ecdecdcc7:g:JboAAOSw8UZaKQ8Y

2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I bought my black bluetooth/wired (branded) XBox controller (twice) for $45 and $40 (USD). Both still work great, almost 2 years later. It has a 2.74 meter cord. (I lost my cord because I ended up always using bluetooth, perhaps my son still has his...)

Unfortunately, the same controller now sells for $60. (!)

The Microsoft wired (only) black controller seems to be out of stock. Newegg has none as well. I presume this is the model you really want. Did they stop making these? (sale page says: PLEASE NOTE: This item is discontinued in the U.S. and is sourced from another country...)

I've not had good luck with off brand controllers, myself.

3. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Got the Cyberpunk2077 controller. If it's high prize anyway might as well have some awesome skin on it. :)

4. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    That's what I bought a few years ago. Now AUD$70 in stores. I'd prefer to buy a cheaper one off ebay but not if it only lasts a year because it's cheap quality.

5. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    I was just looking yesterday for the same Microsoft controller. Reviews were great but can't find one at a reasonable price.

Any other controller worth buying?

6. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I read that a lot of people have issues with PDP. No point in paying half price if it doesn't last a few years.

The issue with my controller is the cable/usb port being loose so I have to keep fiddling around with it if I move too much. After watching a youtube video I've tied twisted and tied a rubber band around it to see if that fixes it.

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I actually bought a Xbox one controller this week. My last Microsoft controller was the 360 one which i really enjoyed.
    This controller, well..... after using the Dualshock 4 for so long , some things were really sticking out for me.
    -LT and RT triggers are really good, better then the DS4 one.
    -Digital cross button, is also much better. it doesnt need to be pressed long like the DS4 one.
    -Because of have large hands (apparently), the joypad seemed rather weird to hold. hitting LB and RB really seems weird. probably due to my hands being used to DS4.
    -The joysticks are really small. It started to feel annoying.
    -abxy buttons really felt like they stood out , to high for my taste.
    -I also started to slip somewhat and sweat. Something i hadnt experienced in a long time.

So i figured, i needed Thumb grips for the joysticks, and a anti sweat skin which fits over the whole controller.
    I got it today, and it makes a huge difference!
    abxy buttons are not as high because of the skin and grip is firm and no longer sweating.
    the thumbgrips (just cheap ones) fit perfectly and give me way more control over the movement, and because of the soft rubber no longer feels annoying.
    I am quite happy with the result , i still need to get used to the size though and pressing lb and rb.

here is a picture

[​IMG]

So for me it was actually €60 and €20 added because of the skin and thumb grips.

8. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    The rubber band trick is keeping the usb slot and cable in place for now. Might get a few months out the controller if I'm lucky.

Last year I bought Grip-It thumb grips because my thumbs kept slipping and they make a world of difference.

[​IMG]

9. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    I picked up a Steelseries Stratus this week and not sure whats going on. I updated the firmware and it works, kinda. I added the games in the Steel Game engine for it too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015WKY3IM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried it with the game Heavy Rain and the the square and circle buttons are not consistent. The Triangle button is consistent but the O and Square button change randomly during game play.

Not sure if I've done something wrong or it's their software trying to emulate the Microsoft controller.

I didn't want to have to spend the crazy amount for a Microsoft controller.....sigh.

3800x
    Asus TUF Wifi x570
    16GB 3200 MHz
    2070 Super
    Seasonic 650 watt
    NVMe Sabrent 4.0
    Windows 10

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I dont trust unbranded ones, only the original MS will do. Have no preference between xbone or 360 controller in feel or use. Xbone rules though with xbox accessories which allows you to remap the buttons, triggers, bumpers and sticks.

11. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I gave up and bought a new MS one. A little pricey but hopefully it lasts a few years like the last one. Luckily I still had a pair of new thumb grips.

12. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    I broke down and ordered one too through Dell for $69